Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2009, 2:38 pm

Interesting insight.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 4:25 pm

Everything is going well with the script for Lamb to the Slaughter. However, I recently lost my flash drive. Redesigning Eva was on it. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place now. I'm debating whether to go through with the screenplay, or turn it into a novel. With a novel, I could have richer characters and themes. Screenplays aren't really meant for diving into a character's mind; they just describe scenes.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 5:13 pm

Sounds interesting...

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 8:14 pm

If you're stuck on your writing my suggestion would be to write out the idea in one sentence. It's a hard thing to do but if you master it, you will be on your way.

Think of a random movie - say Big with Tom Hanks - it's "the story of a boy who wishes to be an adult, gets his chance and discovers that there's a reason why you have a childhood - so you can learn maturity"

I just made that up then, I'm sure others could make their own.

Any how write your story - and it must include your protagonist, setup, journey and conclusion. Post it over your computer or whatever, and let everything you write be informed by it. It will liberate you by giving you a sense of structure. Just think about every scene in Big - they are all working in some respect to that controlling idea.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 9:06 pm

mjs82 wrote:
If you're stuck on your writing my suggestion would be to write out the idea in one sentence. It's a hard thing to do but if you master it, you will be on your way.

Think of a random movie - say Big with Tom Hanks - it's "the story of a boy who wishes to be an adult, gets his chance and discovers that there's a reason why you have a childhood - so you can learn maturity"

Any how write your story - and it must include your protagonist, setup, journey and conclusion. Post it over your computer or whatever, and let everything you write be informed by it. It will liberate you by giving you a sense of structure. Just think about every scene in Big - they are all working in some respect to that controlling idea.

Thanks, but that's not the movie I'm trying to make. It's evolved into something deeper. Don't let my casting choices fool you.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 9:48 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:
mjs82 wrote:

Thanks, but that's not the movie I'm trying to make. It's evolved into something deeper. Don't let my casting choices fool you.

I only picked Big as a random example. But when you say it's evolved into something deeper - what does that mean?

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2010, 10:51 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:
Everything is going well with the script for Lamb to the Slaughter. However, I recently lost my flash drive. Redesigning Eva was on it. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place now. I'm debating whether to go through with the screenplay, or turn it into a novel. With a novel, I could have richer characters and themes. Screenplays aren't really meant for diving into a character's mind; they just describe scenes.
While I do think your screenplay has an interesting premise, my advice is to turn it into a novel, as you could dig deeper into your characters and make the whole thing seem more realistic.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2010, 3:51 pm

Given the fact I'm turning this into a novel now, would it be right if we took this conversation to a new thread? WrongPlanet has rules against making duplicate posts.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2010, 4:29 pm

Guys, I'm moving the discussion to this thread, okay?

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt116712.html