The theme of the movie 'Liar Liar' x every person on earth.

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ntstanch
Raven
Raven

18 May 2009, 12:33 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
There would also be a difference between being FORCED to tell the truth and not being able to tell a lie.

People frequently lie in situations where a simple and polite "none of your business" would be sufficient.

You can be truthful with people without having to open Al Capone's vault and march out the skeletons.

Why is it polite to lie to someone though? It seems like the general theme behind simple greetings is about 99.999% pretense for reasons that I don't get. And I understand that it's still expected, minus logic, like so many other things, but I ignore it and remain blunt, but concerned and kind. A lot of people don't like this, but they can't even articulate why, so I see no reason to change and switch to the appalling amounts of pretense presented by people today.

18 May 2009, 1:17 pm

There would be cons to this though. In the movie, the guy kept blurting out things that were the truth like he had Tourette's, I can't imagine blurting out things to people I like to keep private about myself. It would be nice if people couldn't lie but yet they weren't forced to blurt out the truth without being asked for the truth first.

Ntstanch
Raven
Raven

18 May 2009, 1:58 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
There would be cons to this though. In the movie, the guy kept blurting out things that were the truth like he had Tourette's, I can't imagine blurting out things to people I like to keep private about myself. It would be nice if people couldn't lie but yet they weren't forced to blurt out the truth without being asked for the truth first.

Yeah... I definitely should have elaborated more on how the truth aspect was intended to be used. Basically what I was aiming for is just a sense of overall good. Where people could not lie for their benefit, or in any malicious ways. Not like a super drunk guy pumped full of truth juice saying EVERY thought and judgement about people that pops up. More like ,in the proposed 24 hour ' Liar Liar ' scenario, everyone would be unable to lie to themselves or others... and be forced to confront all the things hidden behind everyday pretense.

I think people are digging too far into the context though. This wasn't supposed to be a philosophical debate regarding paradoxal things like truths and lies.