Trying to figure out if I should get tested for Aspergers

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

joetherocket
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2009, 5:09 pm

I honeslty don't know if I have a form of Aspergers or not. I was diagnosed ADD as a child (14 yrs ago), but if my memory is correct Aspergers and ADD can't be diagnosed at the same time. Is there at least a theory they are still both on the autistic spectrum? There seems to be a lot of the sam similarities. Is there such a thing as an inbetween type? I do know while I can act and function as a normal person it is very hard for me to get back on track if I am completley derailed.

I exhibit many of the social conditions asperger type people have (more specificaly I had them when I was younger, but have adapted to be fairly "normal"): A low number of friends, needing much alone time, deep interests, usually more logicaly inclined than most.

But the things that really tipped me off: I hate glare, light and get awful snow blindness, I highly sensative to heat and humidity, I guess AS people get annoyed by tags on the backs of thier T shirts (so I heard), I am a notorious pacer. If being a notorious night owl is a physical type of symptom I have that too, as well as having NO tolerence for taking a drug where I lose control (such as marijuana).

Things that make me think I may not have it: I have been able to adapt to certain environments (more accuratly I don't panic or hate new environments), While I am still naturaly quit and hate crowds I can deal with them and appear normal (usually) and at least somewhat social, While my emotions may not be as high as most people I still have them and display them clearly (though sometimes I have to "force" it), I can read other people, I am capable of empathy (I think), I am most certainly capable of small talk. I can find it very hard to keep focused on long non broken up text (such as a philosophy book or a fiction work).

Krollins
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2009, 7:11 pm

I'm in the same boat. I'd just love the perfect doctor who will listen and not look at me like I'm crazy.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 7:31 pm

"Hello," fellow-traveler joetherocket, and welcome aboard the Wrong Planet.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 8:40 pm

It sounds to me like you need to get tested for Asperger's! ADD and AS are related, as you probably already know. With the other symptoms you mention, you may get an AS diagnosis. I say go for it and Welcome!

Your life can change positively when you get a diagnosis. You can finally make sense of your life and get appropriate supports in place.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

joetherocket
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2009, 12:31 am

whitetiger wrote:
It sounds to me like you need to get tested for Asperger's! ADD and AS are related, as you probably already know. With the other symptoms you mention, you may get an AS diagnosis. I say go for it and Welcome!

Your life can change positively when you get a diagnosis. You can finally make sense of your life and get appropriate supports in place.

I don't know if I will feel positive or not if diagnosed. I also am unsure if I have it. I seem "aspieish" but there is enough doubt for me to not want to tell anyone I know. Ideally, I want to be sure I am on the spectrum before I see a doctor or tell anyone I know. Does it do anything to insurance costs? How much does testing cost?

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 8:41 am

Programs and services for Asperger's Syndrome are more directed towards the needs of children and young adults under age
22. What do you expect to gain from a formal diagnosis? Too often, the "costs" are greater than any worthwhile benefits for an
adult...