Does your AS threaten your basic survival?

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Does your AS threaten your basic survival?
YES 50%  50%  [ 29 ]
NO 38%  38%  [ 22 ]
Other _______________________________________ 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
No idea what you mean, but I love voting/nosing in polls 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 58

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 9:39 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Anyway, I'm voting no. I've survived 56 years and I hope to live as long as the average Joe. The world of working for wages and consuming looks to me to be just as helpless a fate as being an asylum inmate - hopelessly dependent on somebody else's handouts in return for reporting to a detention centre when they tell you to, using their tools to make what they tell you to make, always on their terms. The bosses are the only ones who are really capable of looking after themselves. One stroke of the pen from them, and the "independence" of the worker collapses, The basic system is little different from the old workhouse system where paupers would have to go, cap in hand, when they couldn't cope. The rules are a little less vicious, but it's basically the same deal.

People sometimes worry about me because I don't seem to be able to cook, when biologically there's no need for cooking, except in the social imagination. I "can't" tidy up, yet if you look, I always keep the basic hygeine and health standards intact, I've rarely been physically ill. My basic survival strategy is plain for all to see, and it works, in as far as I'm alive and reasonably healthy, and have sought help less, not more, than most people. There are plenty of judgemental types who would look at my lifestyle and feel sorry for me - but I feel sorry for them.

Anyway, you get my drift. By mainstream/NT standards, I'm failing at the game of life, and my capacity to survive is impaired because of autistic head problems and a wacky view of the whole game. But I don't see much to aspire to in the mainstream/NT world. They don't look particularly content to me. It remains to be seen who will survive the longest, me or them. I reckon it'll be me.

That is truly inspiring. You live a life worthy of admiring.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 9:52 pm

It depends on what you mean by "threaten the survival of". Does it interfer with my relationships with others? Most definitely. It always has. I don't deny it or underplay the problems.
Does it interfer with job aquisition and successes? Yup
Keeping a conversation going? Affirmative.

I had one job that I excelled it, working for the govt collecting census data from people who failed to turn in their census forms but the people I worked with became antagonistic for absolutely no reason that I could discern. I wasn't rude and did well but that doesn't seem to matter much.

The kind of job I do well at are jobs like the census one, where I can make my own hours, have a written form with questions that need to be answered that I use as a cue of sorts, and it gives me something tangent to focus on so I don't lose my train of thought.

I did well at the Pizza deliverer job except for figuring the amount of change given in my head and my car stalling in the rain. That was a cool job for me because it required a lot of time driving and not interacting with people so much. That's my kind of job. Trying to figure out the change without a cash register was agony for me. That little thing really stressed me out and I worried about it constantly, even when I wasn't working. It was the source of a lot of stress.

Has it interfered with college? Yes
School? yes again.
Family? siiiigh yep.
Income? Without a doubt
Quality of life not as good as others? *nods* You could say.
Nearly everything with people it has interfered with.

I guess I can survive it because I'm still here.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 19 May 2009, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 10:12 pm

No, if anything, it's enhanced it!

lau
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 6:46 am

Does your AS threaten your basic survival? Obviously not. It is part of me. Without it, I would not be here. Next question?

typ3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2009, 6:52 am

No, it just gives bad first impressions and makes people think I'm strange as hell. :)

Of course the anxiety and such is hard to live with, but I can find a way. Heck, throw me out in the streets in a different country, and I'll still find a way!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 8:33 am

subliculous wrote:
i love everything you've said. i have a saying which is a twist on another one - "there are none so chained as those that think they're free".

Thanks, Sublicious - you too, Lecks.......I was half expecting somebody to wade in and pan me for what I'd posted there. It seems that whenever I expound those sentiments to NTs, they get pissed off with it - yet none of them have ever tried to explain, patiently and clearly, what's wrong with my view. Of course Marx had a similar point to make, but he's not "flavour of the month" either. I have a theory that most mainstream people are just kidding themselves, and that logical challenges to their state of denial don't work because they'd have to reconstruct themselves and face up to some hard truth.....this brief article seems to unwittingly touch on what the problem might be:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depressive_realism
I'd say the mainstreamers were living in a fool's paradise, but the counter-argument is simply, "what paradise?"
Funnily enough, I don't see myself as a particularly depressed or miserable person - against all the odds, I can't seem to lose hope somehow. :?