Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

redplanet
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 May 2009, 11:50 am

Does anyone else find being around really outgoing people totally exhausting? I saw a NT friend of mine today who I don't meet up with that often. I like her and she's one of the few people I can relate to, but she's so bubbly and loud that having a long conversation with her makes me feel physically ill. I developed a severe headache and dizziness from the effort of trying to keep the communication going. I do like talking to her as we have a lot in common as she's a fun person but I have to see her in small bursts as she's just too much for my system.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 3:08 pm

^^ Yaye, I believe I certainly become very tired (or prevously did so) when my happy niece was with me ( my younger niece). She talks a very large amount of found dificulty in replying to her and would often feel very tired afterwards.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 3:12 pm

Yes. I have an aversion to bubbly people and I wish they'd all bubble off.

subliculous
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2009, 8:35 pm

absolutely. i get drained so easily. there's this one NT at my work (and when i say NT i mean quintessential NT, big, loud, mean, alpha, extroverted, bully) who, for some reason, keeps bugging me to go to chicago for the day with her (that's where i'm from) and i just can't get myself to do it and don't know how to tell her no. i can't even imagine the absolutely draining HELL of having to "act" for that long. she's ok in small doses when you want to make silly pop culture referential humor but apart from that one cool point, she's a bigoted, ignorant, loud, middle-aged stoner. with a mustache. this is one of those people who let me know on my first day of work "you're too quiet". uh, no kidding sister, i close down around people like you.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 9:03 pm

I find people exhausting.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

19 May 2009, 9:09 pm

Yes, even if I don't have to talk to them I can feel their energy over-power mine, & mine disappear. Last week someone came over to visit me for about 30 minutes. Even though she just sat in my room & we just watched youtube videos, she was going on & on about relationships, school, friends etc & it literally made me start yawning. She took it as an insult but I was genuinely tired. :?

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 9:37 pm

alba wrote:
I find people exhausting.

Same here; all I ever hear from my age group is "partying" this and "sex" that, and "drinking" this too.....it kinda gets old

but it does make me wonder...maybe that's why they never get tired of each other..all they do is get drunk, party, and have sex; if they actually tried having a stimulating conversation out of those bounds, they'd crash and burn. Believe me, I've seen it.

subliculous
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2009, 9:55 pm

TheDoctor82 wrote:
Same here; all I ever hear from my age group is "partying" this and "sex" that, and "drinking" this too.....it kinda gets old

but it does make me wonder...maybe that's why they never get tired of each other..all they do is get drunk, party, and have sex; if they actually tried having a stimulating conversation out of those bounds, they'd crash and burn. Believe me, I've seen it.

oh, but they DO get tired of each other. the turnover rate in their marriages and relationships is a plain indicator of this. this is because they're so common they don't have to look very far for replacements.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 10:05 pm

subliculous wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:

oh, but they DO get tired of each other. the turnover rate in their marriages and relationships is a plain indicator of this. this is because they're so common they don't have to look very far for replacements.

good point...which is why I still say I'm proud to be Autistic. :)

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 10:06 pm

They can be.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 10:10 pm

And then lest we forget after constantly doing the same thing over and over again cause it's considered totally normal for society, they feel empty, and join a major religion, or start doing food drives or something, to fill that "void" in their lives.

I repeat...I prefer being Autistic :)

dyp
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 May 2009, 10:16 pm

I find outgoing people extremly exhusting. I also see alot of them as being fake, see through and trying too hard. I don't know what part is more exhusting.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 10:18 pm

dyp wrote:
I find outgoing people extremly exhusting. I also see alot of them as being fake, see through and trying too hard. I don't know what part is more exhusting.

Other than beyond getting drunk, taking care of their kid, and going out and partying, that they really have nothing else to offer?

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 10:56 pm

It's not the extraverts who are exhausting, but the amounts of energy you have to spend in order to satisfy their craving for emotional support and empathy. They tend to demand a lot socially, and it's difficult to fulfill their needs.

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 11:52 pm

I have this female friend who invariably feels insulted every time I fail to respond in kind to her overtly NT presuppositions on how to behave in every social circumstance. I don't feel drained by her presence, but she has told me that she does feel drained by my "indifference."

Lilitu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2009, 4:38 am

I can't remember where I read this but it said that extroverted people tend to need to feed off the energy of other people and introverts create their own energy. When I'm around really obnoxious, extroverted people for too long, I do feel like they're stealing my energy and sucking out my brains. These people tend to dislike me because they can't feed off me. They can be fun in small doses but give me peace and quiet any day.