I Don't Want to Cure My Autism, BUT I Like to Cure Some.....

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do You Want to Cure Your Autism?
Yes 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
No, but I like to get rid of some of my symptoms 53%  53%  [ 26 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 49

StewartMango
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2009, 8:11 pm

I enjoy having Aspergers, because it gives me my personality, BUT some of the symptoms I can do away with like:

-Lack of eye contact
-Sensitive hearing
-Habit of talking to myself

Anyone else, feel this way?
If so please do list what symptoms you want to do away with.

www.stewartmango.com

19 May 2009, 8:27 pm

You can work on your eye contact and not talking to your self so often if you mean talking to yourself out loud of course. About sensitive hearing, you can get rid of it by playing really loud music and it will damage your hearing and poof no more above normal hearing.

Saspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 May 2009, 8:31 pm

Mostly I am happy with how I am but I would like to improve some things (I think this applies to everybody not just people with AS):

These are probably the things that relate to AS symptoms that I would like to improve:

-not be so stressed out from noise
-not be so fussy about food. I get so anxious going out to dinner or if I am going to try a new food, it would be better if I did not care.
-be able to lie/tell when people are lying. If I could lie then I could work out how to not offend some people and if I could tell when people are lying then I would not get tricked so often. Though I don't know whether I want to fix this to make others happy or because I actually want to change this myself. Overall I wish everyone in the world was honest so I think this is a change I want to help me deal with the world better rather than because I think it is better to be dishonest.
-not be so clumsy so I do not get so many injuries!

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 8:32 pm

Talking to yourself is just compulsive and every compulsive behaviour can be trained away with enough willpower. I used to talk to myself, sing to myself etc but I decided to not do it anymore, so I simply stopped. When I feel like talking to myself instead I take a deep breath and absorb the silence around me, I let it fill my spirit, and the need to talk to myself just goes away.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 8:48 pm

Uuhm.. procrastination. I think I procrastinate because I feel like I have to do things in a certain order (not just because I'm picky, FYI, I have reasons for the order I do stuff in) but something often stops me from doing some of those things, (so I never get around to the things that come after) so I think it's definitely linked to the whole AS thing. So I'd like to get rid of that please.
And I'd like it if I knew what to say and was able to say it in a normal-sounding way. But otherwise I don't think I'd like to change anything.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 8:54 pm

would like to get rid of:

being overstimulated by environment or understimulated and constantly seeking balance

inability to read faces

inability to understand secret social "code"

(I'd rather have the option to be a nonconformist rather than to be thrust into that role because I don't understand how to conform!)

inability to drive

inability to work

intense periodic anxiety

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 8:59 pm

I'd like to have improved executive functioning. That has caused a lot of problems in jobs, and causes problems in carrying out my responsibilities as a parent, too.

StewartMango
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2009, 9:00 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
You can work on your eye contact and not talking to your self so often if you mean talking to yourself out loud of course. About sensitive hearing, you can get rid of it by playing really loud music and it will damage your hearing and poof no more above normal hearing.

Well my eardrum busted in my left ear when I was young and I heard that damaging your hearing would actually make your hearing worse, because the ear will just pick up the LOUD sounds.
Ever notice when older people go, "Speak up I can't hear you!" then if your loud, the got "Stop that racket!"

It could also just be psychological too, because I blast my music.

www.stewartmango.com

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 11:10 pm

StewartMango wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:

Well my eardrum busted in my left ear when I was young and I heard that damaging your hearing would actually make your hearing worse, because the ear will just pick up the LOUD sounds.
Ever notice when older people go, "Speak up I can't hear you!" then if your loud, the got "Stop that racket!"

It could also just be psychological too, because I blast my music.

have u ever tried noise cancelling headphones or ear plugs? i have to carry around my noise cancelling headphones 24/7 or all ill do is rock, bite, flap, headshake, spin or just be extremely irritable and on the verge of melting down any second, or ill punch my ears.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 11:22 pm

It's cool to find another self talker. I used to talk to myself all the time. It was a habit for me. I was able to do away with that particular symptom. I trained myself out of the habit, weaned myself from self talk. I don't know how I did it to this day but it's one of the most difficult things I ever did because I think I had the habit since early childhood, or as long as I can recall, anyway. Now I whisper mumbles to myself but only sometimes.

I can't imagine what my life would be like without certain symptoms because they are such a big part of who I am. I cannot fathom another way. I can't pull off the peppy type A personality that always sees the bright side of things and says something cutesy on a constant basis.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 6:57 pm

As pro-cure as I am...I am against extreme force and discipline as a means of curing autistic symptoms. Sadly pretty much every conservative parent in the world is so egotistical enough to think that they can get children to make eye contact with people by spanking them everytime they don't or shove them into high-tense social situations that are prone to give them meltdowns as a means of getting them to become more sociable.

If I could only get rid of some symptoms it would be my lack of talking (unless it's to myself), my anger issues, my huge depression/lack of self-esteem, and my chronic pacing and handflapping because people won't seem to leave me alone about those things about myself!

Last edited by raisedbyignorance on 20 May 2009, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 7:03 pm

Quote:
being overstimulated by environment or understimulated and constantly seeking balance

I get that too. Either I feel irritated and angry because people are moving around a lot or talking close to me, or I'm agitated because I'm not getting enough stimulation.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 7:10 pm

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Quote:

I get that too. Either I feel irritated and angry because people are moving around a lot or talking close to me, or I'm agitated because I'm not getting enough stimulation.

I can't find that happy medium, either. :?

As for cure, don't want one, no. Cure some symptoms, might be nice, but I don't know which ones, and.... have a hard time picking apart such things anyhow...

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 7:27 pm

Even though i can be extremely annoying and difficult, i wouldn't trade any of my symptoms for anything in the world. They're part of who i am.

sanchasmcdude
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2009, 8:04 pm

what i would fix is the times where i am so focused on what i am doing that i don't even notice time passing (usually when reading, fixin a computer, or some video games) and the times that i am not focusing on anything at all or daydreaming ( this is especially bad when i drive). sometimes when i read i can sit down and start reading and then i look at my watch and it is 2 hours later and im late for work. and other times i just am off in my own world and don't notice whats going on around me. i ran a stop light that was long red while a cop watched from beside me once. i didn't notice any of it. i was kinda like on autopilot.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 8:05 pm

I'd want better stress tolerance
Better ability to cope with change
Be able to override my obxessive compulsive bahaviors better
Be less picky of an eater

I'd definitely want to keep my thought process, intrests, and talents even if my social skills suck and it creates a barrier between me and most other people.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud