Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 7:15 am

What are the advantages and disadvantages of carrying a purse? How can I get around carrying one should I not want to? I find that particularly hard, as pockets in women's clothes just don't have the same space as in men's clothes, I don't think I could even fit my wallet in there. Personally, I don't want to carry my backpack on me, unless I have to carry one or both of my laptops... As well, when I do pick out a purse, what should I be looking at when making the decision?

Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 7:42 am

Purses look lame imo. And the word just sounds stupid:p

I just carry around a nice messenger bag. Sometimes a smaller one, but it's usually a bigger one.
Very practical. You can carry everything in there, bottle of water, wallet, ID, camera, your music stuffs etc.
And if you happen to go shopping you can just shove whatever you bought in there.

I got myself this one. Though you can get these bags in ALL types of patterns and colours, so you could adjust it to your taste:)

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 3:21 pm

I carry a holdall type bag so I can fit big items in there. I just really don't see the point in carrying tiny stupid purses (we call them handbags here in Britain) that you can barely get a wallet into. I don't have a lot of interest in how the bag looks - I just want it to hold my stuff.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 3:59 pm

I think I'm going to make the switch from purse to some kind of utilitarian apron with a zillion pockets.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 5:06 pm

1234 wrote:
I got myself this one. Though you can get these bags in ALL types of patterns and colours, so you could adjust it to your taste:)

I like this, looks like a good answer to my space dilemma. Also looks like I could fit my tablet comfortably in one. Hmm... Messenger for everyday use seems like a good solution to the problem I have with backpacks too.

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2009, 9:44 am

I carry a purse because I hate putting things in my pocket. It's usually uncomfortable. I just carry around a small bag for my cellular, wallet, and lip balm.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 May 2009, 9:56 am

LolaGranola wrote:
I carry a purse because I hate putting things in my pocket. It's usually uncomfortable. I just carry around a small bag for my cellular, wallet, and lip balm.

That sounds like me; I use a small black canvas bag, about the size of a large paperback, in which I carry my wallet, lipsalve, tobacco, papers, and lighter, one paracetomol, my keys, a couple of tissues, a biro and a small notebook. If I'm travelling/away for a day or more, I use a small black rucksack, with room for bottle of water, change of clothes, toothbrush, waterproof/umbrella, a book, etc.

I don't like having things in pockets either. :)

millie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 1:48 pm

Purse? I don;t even use the term. I have a wallet and a couple of over the shoulder bags...One is a really cool big black leather one that cost a fortune years ago and was worth every penny as it is still going strong and looks great.
The other is a colourful, plastic patterned one that is made in Asia by landmine victims out of old rice bags that are then coted in plastic and sewn up into really strong little shoulder bags. It's cool too.

purses. huh?

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2009, 3:01 pm

I have a bag that hangs over my shoulder but it annoys me because it always slips off so I have to hold onto it with one hand all the time.

Zola
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 May 2009, 3:32 pm

One warning: No matter what the size of your bag, you manage to cram it full. :D

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 3:34 pm

Zola wrote:
One warning: No matter what the size of your bag, you manage to cram it full. :D

I know, already do with my backpack for school. and I only need like 2 things, but I carry 20...

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 3:14 pm

Padium wrote:
Zola wrote:

I know, already do with my backpack for school. and I only need like 2 things, but I carry 20...

Padium: i feel that a messenger bag is a perfect bag for you because its unisex and you wont look like too much of a girly girl and not too much like a newspaper deliverer. function is more important then the looks, and when you do carry it (especially with a laptop in it) carry it with your arm over the flap and the strap high (less chance of a purse snatcher from getting you, many purse snatchers get people that arent holding the bag itself and dont notice until they feel the sudden release of weight (if they load it down)

speaking of heavy backpacks,

Zola, when I was in high school, for the last 3 years i would stuff mine til the zipper almost popped, my backpack during high school years was subject books, folders, trapper keepers, large pocket full of pencils, my coat, bag of chips (not too often since i used to wait till i got to the technical school to get somethign to eat) my coat (was a heavy coat too) and for last 2 months of high school a 6 pound door closer (yea the one in my avator here, the norton, used norton for handwriting...... yea it was *that bad* that only a door closer was the only way to make my writing legible.

all those things all together, that backpack came out to be about 20 or so pounds, (about same weight as one of them landscaper's backpack leaf blowers) because of the feeling of same weight on the shoulder straps, and being in a building maintenance class, I had to make sure that my backpack didn't have a gas tank, a pull cord, or a hose hanging out the one side :lol:

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 3:19 pm

If I stick all my compact electronics in my bag (2 lappies, a DSi, MP3 player, etc), it would weigh 20 lbs, and they don't take up too much space, would all fit in a messenger.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 8:46 pm

I honestly I don't always carry a purse with me unless I have to. My debit card or change is always in my pocket.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 9:08 pm

lionesss wrote:
I honestly I don't always carry a purse with me unless I have to. My debit card or change is always in my pocket.

That made me wonder what I actually carry in my wallet... And I have: club membership card, provincial health card, library card, social insurance number card (don't want to lose that!), 3 gift cards, birth certificate, drivers lisence, visa card, 2 student cards (one is from high school last year), 3 appointment cards, 4 discount cards, a points card, my debit card, some Canadian Tire money, a $5 off certificate for East Side Mario's that doesn't expire, a note I was going to give a guy in grade 12, a note exempting me from the uniform policy at the high school I went to (my clothes still had to resemble the uniform, and have the school crest on the shirt) which the VP that signed it spelled "Khaki" as "Cacky" (and I thought they needed an education to get that job lol), and my Sick Kids Hospital card...

Now the odds I will need all that stuff at once? Slim to none... But should I, it won't fit comfortably in pockets of my current clothes without a wallet pockets...

Now other things I carry in my pockets: Cell phone, keys, supply of medication in the event I need it, mp3 player, change.

Once I get further into my transition I am sure there are going to be other things I carry, I am a perfectionist about my hair as is, and I do anticipate carrying a brush everywhere when I get further into it for example.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 9:58 pm

Personally, I don't like carrying them around, which is too bad because I love knitting them. If I'm only going out for a little while I try not to take one at all, but I need one if I'll be out for a while because I need water.