Worst cure idea yet: Chemical castration

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 8:15 pm

I think Dr. G needs a dose of Lupron to reduce his aggressiveness toward autistic children.

I remember seeing something about this guy before. His theory at the time was is that testosterone 'locks' mercury into cells, so lowering it would let the mercury come free, which makes no sense. And that he was using Lupron on kids (pre-pubescent kids), which makes even less sense. Changing the story to 'it reduces aggression' sounds like he may even know that his theory is BS. I really wonder if he's evil (knows it's BS and is doing it for money), or just severely misguided (believes his own pseudoscience)...

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 10:01 pm

Every such pseudo science junky vehemently trusts his observations, even if it leads to his death. For example, the yeast connection chiropractors. I personally would rather wait and watch for proof before condemning or condoning, and until then, consider all 'successful' cases as placebo effect.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 9:21 pm

Woooooaaaahh.
Wait, what does he think causes it in GIRLS? I'm not growing a beard or anything, I think I have the regular amount of girl-hormones.

lita101
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2009, 5:46 am

that really f***ed up

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 9:32 am

wigglyspider wrote:
Woooooaaaahh.
Wait, what does he think causes it in GIRLS? I'm not growing a beard or anything, I think I have the regular amount of girl-hormones.

It depends if the testosterone attaches to a hormone called "sex hormone binding globulin" or the blood hormone "albumin". If i can recall correctly, only 1-2% of testosterone in women is independent and circulating freely. I don't know anything on the subject, but i recall reading that facial hair in women is due to an imbalance between androgens and estrogen.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 1:54 pm

Khan_Sama wrote:
It depends if the testosterone attaches to a hormone called "sex hormone binding globulin" or the blood hormone "albumin". If i can recall correctly, only 1-2% of testosterone in women is independent and circulating freely. I don't know anything on the subject, but i recall reading that facial hair in women is due to an imbalance between androgens and estrogen.

Males also have SHBG (which also binds estradiol) so having a small percentage of free testosterone & estradiol is true for both sexes.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 6:56 pm

maybe they should just use it on bullies instead...;)

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 2:57 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:

Males also have SHBG (which also binds estradiol) so having a small percentage of free testosterone & estradiol is true for both sexes.

Thanks for correcting me.