Worst cure idea yet: Chemical castration

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 3:00 pm

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-na ... 4752.story

Quote:
Reporting from Chicago -- Desperate to help their autistic children, hundreds of parents nationwide are turning to an unproven and potentially damaging treatment: multiple high doses of a drug sometimes used to chemically castrate sex offenders.

The therapy is based on a theory, unsupported by mainstream medicine, that autism is caused by a harmful link between mercury and testosterone. Children with autism have too much of the hormone, according to the theory, and a drug called Lupron can fix that.

"Lupron is the miracle drug," said Dr. Mark Geier of Maryland. He and his son developed the "Lupron protocol" for autism and are marketing it across the country, opening eight clinics in six states. But experts say the idea that Lupron can work miracles for children with autism is not grounded in scientific evidence.

Quote:
Geier, who is not board certified in any specialty relevant to autism and the use of Lupron -- including pediatrics, endocrinology, psychiatry and neurology -- does not dispute that his protocol amounts to chemical castration.

Quote:
By lowering testosterone, the Geiers said, the drug eliminates unwanted testosterone-related behaviors, such as aggression and masturbation. They recommend starting children on Lupron as young as possible. The cost of the Lupron therapy is $5,000 to $6,000 a month.

It is a miracle drug, a cure for masturbation that only costs $5,000 to $6,000 a month.

I guess some parents are spending a lot on laundry.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

HAL_9000
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2009, 3:55 pm

For f**k sake, not this guy again. Seriously, he's a quack and someone needs to gag him and his son before he does any more damage. I can't believe they haven't been shut down.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 4:00 pm

Jesus, WHY??

Jacaen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2009, 4:01 pm

But but but... masturbation is good for the prostate :(. Not that that gives me an excuse, heh... Every opportunity I get, I tell my man friends they should masturbate frequently.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 4:29 pm

How is it that someone without any medical degree can actually advertise this crap to people who are so willing to buy anything to help their children. Isn't this what we have state licensing boards for?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 5:38 pm

This crap has been going on since the Holocaust, and it's got to stop! :evil:

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2009, 8:28 pm

I don't think they care about masturbation. Now that it's been proven that Autism is genetic, they figured out a new "cure", make it so that Autistic people can't reproduce.

I wonder how long it's gonna be until Autism Speaks starts making commercials saying "don't forget to spay or neuter your pets and your Autistic kids".

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 8:30 pm

What exactly is wrong with masturbation assuming it isn't done in public or such? The whole mercury thing is complete pseudoscience anyway.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 9:31 pm

I haven't even heard of that being an issue with Autism.
Not that I would know. I never figured out how to do it anyway.
No, I'm not looking for instructions.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 9:43 pm

demeus wrote:
How is it that someone without any medical degree can actually advertise this crap to people who are so willing to buy anything to help their children. Isn't this what we have state licensing boards for?

It is called freedom of speech, and yes, I believe this guy is off his rocker and a total quack. We have thousands of Aspies and Auties who can set the record straight.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 8:11 pm

Why would anyone listen to this crap?

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 8:26 pm

Because people are stupid. It's an epidemic.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 8:57 pm

This guy at least ought to have his license to practice medicine revoked.

And he is subjecting children to an abusive experimental "treatment." He should be prosecuted. (A doctor prescribing something is not speech.)

And what the hell his wrong with masturbation?

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 5:08 am

what a sick bastard, he should go on trial for child abuse and for fraud too.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 9:08 am

I don't know a single thing about this man or his methods, but i do know one thing:

"All truth passes through three stages: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

dalekaspie
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2009, 11:12 am

this guy is a nazi, nobody will take him seriously not even NT monkeys