Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 1:47 pm

Will/have amnesty ever get/gotten involved in trying to shut down the Judge Rotenberg Centre? While I am glad that Guantanamo Bay is getting shut down, I am ashamed to be human because very few have even mentioned JRC. It's as if terrorists are more important than disabled/mentally ill children.

Many people have written letters to Amnesty International and other human rights groups pleading for them to help support the disability rights groups in trying to shut down JRC or at least trying to pass laws so that the children's rights are protected.

I hear that human rights people often inspect the school, but I also hear that they still continue to use pretty much the same old methods. The diet many of these kids are on is just plain stupid- no meat, no fish, no dried fruit or fruit juice, no bread, no oil, no soy, no dairy products, no nuts or avacadoes..........

What are they meant to do? PHOTOSYNTHESIZE?!?

Apparently, a 12 year old autistic starved because of this until she was basically a bag of bones (infact, that's how the staff described her).

What are the human rights groups trying to do about this because it still seems that JRC are continuing to get away with murder.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2009, 6:09 pm

How are they able to continue? Where are they? I don't know anything apart from what you have posted but it sounds horrendious and plain wrong.

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 May 2009, 6:38 pm

It's a "school for special-needs kids", notable for its use of aversives (2-second electrical shocks, in this case). An evil place; I'm also surprised at how little mention it gets in the news compared to the Guantanamo prison, for example.

I hadn't heard about the diet. Could you post a link?

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2009, 2:35 pm

The JRC is something which I am not happy about. I am overjoyed that I have not been sent to such a place.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 10:41 pm

time for an Autistic Liberation Front..

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 4:57 am

Warsie wrote:
time for an Autistic Liberation Front..

I hope our ALF won't be like the Animal Liberation Front (which are responsible ofr acts of terrorism).

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 8:18 am

Sometimes, we have to fight.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 8:00 am

Is there any campaign going at the moment to get it shut down? Any secret footage of the place on Youtube/Liveleak/Google Video/etc? Or do I need to go there myself and take some (something I can't do at the moment)?

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2009, 3:46 am

Magneto wrote:
Sometimes, we have to fight.

Becoming as bad as them wont help anything, the best case you can hope for is no net-change in evil

Magneto wrote:
Is there any campaign going at the moment to get it shut down? Any secret footage of the place on Youtube/Liveleak/Google Video/etc? Or do I need to go there myself and take some (something I can't do at the moment)?

If anyone's trying be very careful, I herd the culture there is just awful for crushing independence from the system.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 4:48 am

If the governments (Federal, state, city, and others) refuse to shut it down, then we'd need more than Terrorism. It would put me in the mood for a coup dé etat.

Quote:
If anyone's trying be very careful, I herd the culture there is just awful for crushing independence from the system.

Can you elaborate on that?

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2009, 5:31 pm

You would think that people with special needs are treated better than that. Why is a place like this still running? I dread to think if this were decades ago where I would be with my AS. Back then they locked up people they didn't understand. I must be living under a rock too much if this kind of treatment still happens. Or maybe I just don't want to believe it.

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2009, 10:00 pm

It ashamed to say its in massachuests how could such a horrible place exist in modern new england my home. Though I have never been there and I hope it stays that way.