Considering dropping out of college

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

UncommonPerspective
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 May 2009, 7:27 pm

Out of curiousity, what would you call me as a writing and drama major, Cyanide? For now I put me in the "Probably Living In A Shoebox Anyway" department, but just curious what you thought.

Back to relevance, have you considered transferring to another institution? Perhaps your math requirement will be better at another place, and the credits that you already have besides the math will be transferred to. Or maybe have another talk with the department that handles IEP stuff and explain that expanding your math requirement is hurting you? Don't know if either will be beneficial, but just throwing out some options.

SectorStar
Raven
Raven

16 Jun 2009, 4:36 pm

Well my grades were posted today, and I successfully failed the same math class again for the THIRD time now, which means no college for me this summer because I can't take the two other math classes I signed up for. Theres some summer job thing at my dad's work that I qualify for beings I'm his son that pays like 20 bucks an hour. I'm probably gona do that because I'm obviously not making any money by wasting time and money by going to college and failing the same classes over and over. I'm probably gona quit college now.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 7:57 pm

SectorStar wrote:
Well my grades were posted today, and I successfully failed the same math class again for the THIRD time now, which means no college for me this summer because I can't take the two other math classes I signed up for. Theres some summer job thing at my dad's work that I qualify for beings I'm his son that pays like 20 bucks an hour. I'm probably gona do that because I'm obviously not making any money by wasting time and money by going to college and failing the same classes over and over. I'm probably gona quit college now.

sorry to hear that. I finished college with excellent grades, but only once in my life (for about 4 months during the DOT.COM boom) have I made more than what you are making now. sorry about your math class. It could be worse.

Merle

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 10:24 pm

UncommonPerspective wrote:
Out of curiousity, what would you call me as a writing and drama major, Cyanide? For now I put me in the "Probably Living In A Shoebox Anyway" department, but just curious what you thought.

Yeah, I'd agree with the "living in a shoebox" statement. The only way that won't happen is if you make it big, which isn't likely. My grandpa wanted to be a writer, but he ended up owning a gas station...

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2009, 11:37 pm

Don't drop out. Just take a leave of absence. Tell them that you have some temporary problem. Chill out, get centered, take a semester off if necessary.

In January, or whenever you're ready, take at least one elective at night while you work full time, just to keep a toe-grip on the whole college thing.

Maybe you can take the algebra somewhere else and transfer that credit back to your main college. I don't know exactly where, but there must be some kind of accredited program somewhere that will address your tutoring needs or whatever the issues are.

It's an identity / self-esteem thing. There's a difference between working at some job you don't like (and that's it, with no plan) vs. being a night school student with a temporary day job.

All together, I took ten years to finish college. I started full time, then I needed to get a job. I would have been ten years older either way, but I would have been miserable without my two nights of school. Not because all the classes were fun, but because I was still moving forward. Even if it was at a snail's pace.

Grandfather clauses are great. If you stay connected, the original program you signed up for will still apply to you, even if they change the requirements for new students. You get to pick whichever you like from the new requirements or the old ones.

SectorStar
Raven
Raven

16 Jun 2009, 11:48 pm

The problem is that beings I failed that class again, and can't take those two math classes in the summer,means I won't be able to take the classes I need in sequence in the fall because I have to be at a certain math by fall to take them. Which means in the mean time I'd just be taking a bunch of random crap and classes I'm not interested in taking and IF I passed by math by then, I'd have to wait another year to be able to take them again. I don't have time and money for that. And even if it's a crappy job, unlike college I'd be getting payed money to start saving up for things in the future like house, car, whatever else I need. If my girl friend is gona live with me then I'll need money for that too. Honestly I'm sick of college, I don't feel as if I'm really making any progress there, the accommodations thats offered through the disabilities service wouldn't be of much help or use to me, and as I said before, I can't really transfer to any other colleges/schools because of my GPA and such.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 12:46 am

Getting a job does sound like a good idea. There would be no point in taking "random crap."
You probably need a few electives, but if you have already taken them, take nothing.
There's no law that says you have to go every semester or go full time. Taking those certain classes a year later would not be the end of the world. It might be just the break you need anyway.

I don't know whether this is worth anything.
I just wandered around Google for a while until I found an idea.
COLLEGE ALGEBRA - CLEP exam
http://clepprep.tripod.com/collegealgebraclepexam/

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2009, 2:16 am

What are your strong points?In high school, I was horrible in math and science, but good in social studies (history, political science, and economics) and English.I will be doing my second year of a 2 year paralegal program at Red Deer College.Could you get into something that doesnt include much math, like law or political science.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

SectorStar
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2009, 2:51 am

I wasn't really good at anything in high school other then computer stuff. I only took 2 years of math because that was all I needed to do get a high school diploma, and probably the only reason I even passed them was because of my IEP. The problem is I'm not really interested, nor have any desire to do anything outside of computers. But beings I can't pass math, I'm not even allowed to take any of the more advanced computer classes, even though you don't use math in them <_<

AnnieK
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jun 2009, 8:01 am

Not trying to be mean here, but may be computer science is not for you? You seem to be very weak in maths and computer science is based on maths.

For example the wikipedia entry for "computer science" has this to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science

Quote:
Computer science is considered by some to have a much closer relationship with mathematics than many scientific disciplines, with some observers saying that computing is a mathematical science.[4] Early computer science was strongly influenced by the work of mathematicians such as Kurt Gödel and Alan Turing, and there continues to be a useful interchange of ideas between the two fields in areas such as mathematical logic, category theory, domain theory, and algebra.

If you are not strong in maths it might be better for you to change out of computer science to some other major. For example, a more "practical" computing degree which focuses more on the programming side of things. Though even if you are not interested in computer science, mathematical skills (esp. understanding of algorithms and logic) are valuable in programming. Computers are based on mathematics and logic - obviously the better you can think like that the better you can "think" like a computer might when doing something, debug things easier, come up with new more efficient ways to do things etc.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 9:31 am

I was booted out by the local comm college, so don't feel to bad. AS + ADD = didn't do jack in or out of class. I think my records show a 1.2 as my GPA... pathetic. I'm on permanent academic suspension, which translates to 'Would have to transfer credits in' to re-enroll.

20 bucks an hour is an awesome job. It may help you to take some time off and work. It gives you that real world perspective that loads of people could use. Plus, a hobby doesn't always translate over to a fun work enviroment. You may find out while working that you like something else, not compsci, and decide to switch.

Check with your parents insurance if you're covered. My fathers didn't require me to take the summer session, so if yours doesn't, you could take the semester off.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

BurningMoose

21 Jun 2009, 3:32 pm

Well, I went through 4 years of a big public university with undiagnosed AS. Every class was miserable, with all my instincts screaming at me that this was a waste of time, the teachers didn't care about me, and that the stuff they wanted me to memorize was utterly worthless in the real world. Just THINKING about class and the public school system I was part of made me sad, and resulted in my spending 6 straight days in my room crying and taking drugs when I just couldn't take it anymore. At that point, the very end of the year at which I would have graduated, I decided to withdraw from school and joined a wilderness program. I lived in the Great Basin desert for 2.5 months, learning social skills by being forced to interact with my peers 24 hours a day. They would give me feedback about how I was coming off to others, and as a result I made great gains in self-awareness. It sucked being forced to interact and be involved in group activities all day, but it greatly expanded the amount of time which I can socialize without getting exhausted by the effort.

In short, though I dearly miss all my friends from school and it makes me sad that they all graduated without me, leaving college was the best decision I have ever made. I don't know if school is as miserable for you as it was for me, as everyone's situation is very different, but if it is, I would recommend leaving and doing something that makes you happy or will help you grow.

SectorStar
Raven
Raven

22 Jun 2009, 11:16 am

Well I wouldn't know if it's right for me or not because I havn't even been allowed to TRY the class to even see what its like or if I would like it or not <_< In the mean time, I spent almost 2 hours this morning fixing my schedule, I'll still go for another year so the year i have on my scholarship isn't gone to waste, but unless I'm close to a general associates degree I'm probably not gona be graduating with anything because the greedy college present who I mentioned earlier also decided it was a splendid idea to raise the cost of tuition, so now I know for sure that I defently won't be able to afford it once my scholarship is up.