Extra, extra! Greentea going for diagnosis! (of all people!)

Page 11 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 9:09 am

Not easy being Greentea topic

I have never understood why you cannot get employment supports, GT.

I have had 40 jobs in 12 years, and have run out of options, including employment supports at the moment, due to the economy. When it picks up, things will be better, I hope.

I just saw your discussion, and read through it hoping for the best, and that is still to come.

Maybe you could get in touch with KenG, who is also in Israel, and writes here at WP, and get his ideas on this.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 9:23 am

Hey Sue! I was just wondering about you yesterday, hoping to hear from you soon.

We're having a meeting at the park next to my house on Thursday, but these guys are more lost than I am, and they don't share advice/info willingly.

Re: unemployment support, I started a thread on it today, called "Trapped in an NT game!"

Why have you had 40 jobs in 12 years???

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 9:30 am

Multiply jobless topic

^^I kept losing them, because of my motor clumsiness, hyperfocussing, auditory processing difficulties, and social ineptness. Employers and coworkers are impatient with my attempts to fit in, so I lose jobs quickly and often. :(

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 10:02 am

I've been fired 6 times in 20 years. I think it's commendable that you kept trying new jobs all the time. I've kind of given up now. I had never heard of losing so many jobs and still trying, yours is the second case I hear. So I always thought I was one of the most fired persons in the world. The other person I heard of was the leader of the Autie community in my country, who claims to have been fired 50 times.

But my question is: how do you manage to get hired when the potential employer hears you've been fired from tens of jobs before?

By the way, as you know, it's the situation in your city that's been a catalyst for my being fired this time. We never recovered after Nortel's bankrupcy.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 10:25 am

Greentea wrote:
I've been fired 6 times in 20 years. I think it's commendable that you kept [/b[b]]trying new jobs all the time. I've kind of given up now. I had never heard of losing so many jobs and still trying, yours is the second case I hear. So I always thought I was one of the most fired persons in the world. The other person I heard of was the leader of the Autie community in my country, who claims to have been fired 50 times.

But my question is: how do you manage to get hired when the potential employer hears you've been fired from tens of jobs before?

By the way, as you know, it's the situation in your city that's been a catalyst for my being fired this time. We never recovered after Nortel's bankrupcy.

The revolving employment door topic

Good question. All employment hopes ended when the economy tanked. Some of these jobs I had at the same time (2-3 part time jobs means working 50 hours a week) and I just told other employers I wanted a single job. It was amazingly coincidental that I would be hired at a job a few days after losing one. I was constantly applying for work. The longest position I had in 12 years was 3 years, and the next longest was 23 months. Both were part time.

Some jobs I would not list having had on my resume, but I remembered them. I had a few good references, and they would vouch for my determination.

Sounds like the 50X Autie will still retain the record. I doubt I will ever work again. No more references, and it is going on two years since I worked. :( :oops:

Sorry about Nortel. I heard about them having problems for years, and then the global economic catastrophic tsunami more or less drowned them. :oops:

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 10:39 am

But how did you explain the high turnover of jobs and the short time you were at each job? This is largely why they won't hire me.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 11:14 am

Greentea wrote:
But how did you explain the high turnover of jobs and the short time you were at each job? This is largely why they won't hire me.

Job quality topic

I think the jobs you had, GT, were better quality than mine, which were minimum wage, low skill level, and were just positions in which to fill a body to assemble widgets. Employees in these positions are a dime a dozen and easily expendable. Employers do not care if they go through 20 employees a week. High turnover is part of the collateral damage of teamwork, multitasking and service positions.

Your jobs were part of a career continuum, and mine were just paychecks to pay bills. Your employers were much fussier about whom they hired, and will take the time to find the right candidate. If you could get good references, this might make up for the firings.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 12:06 pm

No, the references haven't helped in that sense.

And non-career jobs don't hire me because they say I'm overqualified.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 12:23 pm

Greentea wrote:
No, the references haven't helped in that sense.

And non-career jobs don't hire me because they say I'm overqualified.

Creative careers topic

Could you get assistance/funding to create your own business? In Canada we have that option and I might consider it, though without personal transportation, you need something standalone.

I always thought I might have my own standalone book store/writers' salon, if I ever had the money to start something like this!! :study: :sunny: :flower: :chin: :cheers:

:idea:

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 12:39 pm

I don't want to get a bank loan to start my own business in case it doesn't give me profit and I can't return the loan and the interest and indexing. It'd be too risky for me to get into such a debt...

littlegreenleaf
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jun 2009, 1:52 am

[/quote]Greentea, I have had it as well. I want to withdraw from society myself. I wish I could be self-sufficient. I have had suicidal thoughts. NTs talk in this roundabout double speak way and I don't understand them most of the time. They're vague in how they talk. Greentea, I don't understand the NT world at all.

The more I interact with NTs the more disgusted I'm becoming by them. They're fake and they're phony. They use each other and hurt each other to get to the top. They are dishonest. I want no part of this. I think I would rather take hemlock exactly like Socrates did.

For the most part, I wish I could only interact in real life with my family and other aspies. [/quote]

At college, people have been stressing how important it is to network and make friends with everyone because you never know if they can put a good word in for you at their job in the future or something...and I've met people, but I feel like if I do what's expected of me, then I'd just be using them. There's something so dishonest and unsettling about it. I've deleted my myspace once and deactivate my facebook every now and then. And then there's knowing what people want...it's not until after interacting with people that I realize and am able to evaluate what it is that they may have wanted. Anyway, good luck, green tea.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2009, 2:13 am

Same here. All this pretense of liking someone so they'll remember you when they have something good to give, and hiding from them that you don't like them... There's a kind of competition as to who's better at hiding their true feelings and portraying only what's convenient to them that others believe. The more like this you are, the more others admire you, for they know this talent will take you far in society and you'll end up someone influential with a lot of money. This talent is the number 1 value my family holds. The more like this you are, the more the family loves you.