Other ______________________________________ 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Don't know, don't care, just let me vote in a poll 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Greentea's a cry-baby, Greentea's a cry-baby (points and laughs) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 83

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 3:44 am

I cried all the time during the day, slept all night.
I wouldn't take a pacifier, unless covered in honey, would suck the honey and spit the paci.
I never drank from a bottle. From the breast I went to drinking from a glass.
I'd rarely or never wake up in the middle of the night crying.
I started walking at 2 instead of at 1 y/o.
I stopped crying when I started talking, and would talk all the time.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 3:50 am

My mom said 3 is when I "went crazy".

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 3:55 am

I spoke at eight months, then shut up for the next three years. I was diagnosed deaf when I was three because I didn't talk to people. (My mother insisted the doctor was "talking out their arse", but he didn't believe her until the next time he saw me, when I was talking in sentences.)

I was hyperactive, unless I found a book, in which case I'd sit staring at it, turning the pages... and folks would say, "oh, that's so cute, she looks just like she's reading!" Apparently I'd throw tantrums when I tried to read the paper, because I couldn't turn the page.

If I vomited I'd run round the house trying to get away from it, and spray the whole house in puke. My favourite state of dress was bare arsed naked.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 6:26 am

from 0-2, i didnt talk or babble at all, couldn't even walk yet either basically used my mother to get around, barely slept, had a terrible temper, just stared into space alll the time and blew bubbles all the time hehe. Yea def different from the age of 0-2 heheh.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 6:40 am

Greentea wrote:
I cried all the time during the day, slept all night.
I wouldn't take a pacifier, unless covered in honey, would suck the honey and spit the paci.
I never drank from a bottle. From the breast I went to drinking from a glass.
I'd rarely or never wake up in the middle of the night crying.
I started walking at 2 instead of at 1 y/o.
I stopped crying when I started talking, and would talk all the time.

I cried a lot.
I didn't sleep much, maybe two hours in a twenty four hour period
I never crawled, instead did my own version of "crawling" which my mom told me wasn't actual crawling but something inbetween.
I was walking at ten months and once I was walking I was trying to get away from people. The one thing that stands out was this desire to be on my own, doing my own thing, and using mobility to get away from my mom or caregivers in general.
I did not like being held and cuddled.
I had no problems at that age approaching people and talking to them.

My mom's interpretation of me is that I was very difficult to take care of, hard to console, exhausting because I was so curious about everything and I got into stuff. She says I was exhausting to take care of. She had me in daycare and took a lot of breaks. According to my mom I was different from other kids and that's why she had problems dealing with my constant activity. She said I was more active than what's normal for toddlers.

When I was around three or four, both parents were exasperated by my behaviour and were trying to come up with ways to get me to do what they wanted. My dad was so exasperated he was on the verge of telling me if I didn't mind my parents they wouldn't love me anymore but my mom didn't approve. That's how exasperated they were. So, I guess you could say I was harder than normal to take care of.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 6:55 am

I rarely spoke at all
I ignored most people
I never accepted solid foods, if I ate them I would be sick

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 7:02 am

I was a bundle of quiet joy, according to my mother. I rarely cried and from the time I was about 1 I giggled almost constantly, the giggling lasted untill elementary school, when all joy was sucked out of being a kid.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 7:03 am

Well, I RARELY cried.
I think I remember drinking from sippy cups. I seem to recall bottles earlier, and my mother said I wasn't breast fed. I was the kind that would take quickly to cups though.
I was walking and talking by about 10 months.
I was reading before I was 4yo.

To the best of my knowledge, I was no trouble at all. EVEN when my mother thought I had done something, like eaten the cookies, or painted the bathroom, I HADN'T!

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2009, 7:10 am

Was unusually easy to deal with. Quiet, passive and happy to be left alone.

27 May 2009, 8:09 am

I was very sick at birth from a hard delivery. I started getting ear infections when I was seven months my mom said and I got fevers too. I went deaf at 12 months and then stopped babbling that fall and I had no facial expressions. All I did was cry and I was very silent, no laughing or smiling. Then I got my hearing back when I was a year and a half after having tubes put in. I was speech delayed. As far as I know, I was showing AS behavior from age two. I am not sure about when I was one. Hard to tell because I was deaf so I don't know what I did was part of my deafness or not. I have no idea about my development in my infancy. I know my play skills were below the age level when I was one and I took things apart my mom said and she said I touched everything.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 9:28 am

other: _______________________________

I'm trying to understand what you mean by "different."
I've seen babies who were certainly "difficult" grow up to be totally NT kids.
I've also seen ones who were "difficult" grow up to be classical autistics.
I'm guessing that by "different", you mean overt physical or behavioral differences, sensory issues, and other stuff that would make just about anyone go, "Whoa... what's up with that kid?"

Well...

As a baby, I was grotesquely overweight because my mother had gestational diabetes, and I had a series of respiratory problems right after birth that kept me in the hospital for a while.

Behaviorally, by all account, I cried all the time unless I was getting a bath. When immersed in water, I calmed right down and was docile. I think that talking and walking and all that stuff was basically average.

In short, there may have been signs of autism, but they didn't really start to manifest until later in childhood, and even then no one recognized them until I did six months ago.

Interesting discussion! :wink:

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 9:42 am

I was a quiet baby when I was born until I was 9 months old. Then I had febrile convulsions from the year 1967-68 when I was taken to this doctor who now looking back was more of a cowboy who misdiagnosed brain damage. This was to ruin the relationship with my family permanently, and I was treated like I had AIDS or cancer from then on. In 1968 I was taken to Great Ormond Street Hospital and was given cannabis extract for the febrile convulsions. I just thought that it was the best years of my life but in all truth they weren't. I was perceiving a different part of this world or as neurotypicals say in a world of my own. Really my family were a bunch of sickos. Thanks to some cowboy doctor he even said that I should have been admiited to a long stay hospital (euphemism for deported to a concentration camp). Little bit later I did learn some words thr first being more and I was stimming at that point rocking backwards and forwards. My mum dismissed any hint of autism as society was so fanatically autiphobic at that time. I was put onto tranquillisers until I was 7 to 8 years old and put into segregated nursery rather than staying at home.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 10:38 am

i was classified as "different" soon after my birth.

when i was a baby, i was a very limp baby. people often dropped me. i fell through their arms.
the doctors who wanted to examine if i was injured after i was dropped, also realized that i was very easy to lose control of when being held.

even when they picked me up, they also almost dropped me.
i provided no muscular resistance to people's grasp. i did not flex my body in a way that made me easy to hold.
i was a sack of potatoes.
that is what i am told.

allegedly, i did not look at what other people were interested in when i was a baby.
if i was in a gathering where an event happened that all present focused eagerly upon, i failed to recognize it, and i looked mostly in directions that seemed futile to other older people who noticed where i shone my attention.

doctors did some tests on me when i was a baby (my parents really wanted to know what the matter was with me), and they found that i did not look at what they pointed at. they tried very hard to look astounded and then they pointed to what they were astounded about. i never noticed them being astounded.
i never looked where they pointed.

i did never warm to hugs or other modes of affection.
i always was belly down and looking at the ground before i could walk.
apparently i hated being picked up and turned over so my front was facing up.

i was always very fixated on flies when i was a baby.
i used to follow their flight path very accurately with my attention.
at the same time, a sister may have been trying to get my attention, but she was nowhere near as interesting as the flies i saw.

i was assessed as autistic from a very young age.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 10:41 am

I don't really know. I am pretty sure I was small...(underweight...though I was born almost a month late)...and my mom said I was quiet....hardly ever cried...made weird mouth noises...that weren't the same as crying.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 11:30 am

I was very quiet and passive, I hardly ever cried, I had no stranger danger and just let anyone hold me. People used to tell me how much of a good baby I was, I wasn't clingy either. I talked slightly late.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 12:08 pm

I cried more than usual and had extreme sensitivity to loud sound. When I started talking I immediately began perseverating on weird things and I never shut up. I babbled constantly.