Other ______________________________________ 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Don't know, don't care, just let me vote in a poll 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Greentea's a cry-baby, Greentea's a cry-baby (points and laughs) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 83

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 12:08 pm

I cried more than usual and had extreme sensitivity to loud sound. When I started talking I immediately began perseverating on weird things and I never shut up. I babbled constantly.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 12:21 pm

Acacia wrote:
stuff that would make just about anyone go, "Whoa... what's up with that kid?"

Good question. Yes, I didn't mean the many usual kinds of difficult but behavior that was different. Such as starting to walk very late or crying all the time except in the bath - that was a good example of sensory differences, I think.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 12:34 pm

I was apparently a very happy kid. I said a few things early-ish, then didn't say anything until I was over 2 years old, when I started talking in paragraphs.

I also suspect that I didn't like loud, startling noises very early, either, though I don't remember when I was 0-2, so hard to say.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 12:39 pm

I was a miserable baby and didn't utter words until I was 4, and I didn't speak fully until I was 6. My son is 5 and he is developing the same way as I did. I turned out fine (other than quite messed up in many ways :lol: ), no reason why he won't either.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 12:52 pm

What was different... I guess:

I didn't crawl, I walked to walking so early doctors were scared about my development.

I hardly babbled.

I was an avid climber, motor ability above my age.

+ the usual classical autism stuff, except for that I had on-time language development.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 1:17 pm

Most of you sound like pretty normal babies, but no one has voted "no"! D:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 1:20 pm

My mom thought I was abnormal. I've been told stories about my childhood many times. My mom thought she was lazy because she couldn't keep up with a two year old so she took me to a pediatrician who told her there was a valid reason she couldn't keep up with me and it wasn't because she was lazy. It was because I wasn't a normal two year old.

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 2:02 pm

At age 2 I could name all of the car models in the parking lot. I can't even do that now! I also learned to read at 2.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 2:21 pm

I was the 6th kid from a weird family. By the time i was 1 my mother was expecting her 7th child.

My mother says she does not remember much about me.
She does remember she was very depressed, but does not remember me. My eldest sister once said I was the invisible silent kid who was wise beyond her years and from a different world. and who had fits of hysteria and fits of crying and meltdowns.

Now, my mother acknowledges her own reading and perception of her children and her family may have been coloured and influenced by her own strong traits.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 2:29 pm

I had a traumatic birth, and was 6 weeks early. The doctors didn't even believe my mom was in labor until a nurse walked in the room to find MY FOOT dangling out. My mom was just telling me about this a few months ago. They say there was no oxygen deprivation "that they knew" of, but how would they know? This was 1967.

Apparently the doctors thought I would be mentally ret*d, because I didn't smile at people when I was supposed to (not as a newborn, but later).

When I was three, I taught myself to read, so my mom stopped worrying about me being ret*d, and that was that.

Personally, I think I'm just a product of my gene pool. If you could meet my grandparents, you'd know what I mean.

11krage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2009, 3:03 pm

I was very quiet and apparlently the easiest baby to look after. I didn't crawl at all, just jumped straight to walking which seems unusual. Though I started talkng at about the right time, if a little late I would phrase each syllable as a seperate word and did so for quite a while.

http://the-quiet-ones.blogspot.com/

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 5:13 pm

I was born 2 weeks early.
I rarely cried as a baby and had less use for sleep than my peers.
I had no shared attention. I had a lot of curiousity and loved studying things thoroughly (machines, bushes, stones and most of all anything related to the trains; we lived near a railway station), but I would just approach them on my own, lost in my own reaction to the stimuli.
That’s all I can think of for now.

Last edited by Skilpadde on 27 May 2009, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 5:55 pm

Oh yes.
I was very isolated and had a strange obsession with cranes.
Did not play with dolls like other girls did; instead, I loved assembling stuff.
I learned to speak at 2, but basically the only way I spoke was by repeating whatever my parents said. I didn't express my emotions much, unlike other children.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

WoodenNickel
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2009, 7:02 pm

I was a late talker, but could read a little when I was 2. I suspect that my lack of coordination was the dominant factor here.

I did have my priorities: I could feed myself around 7 months.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 8:53 pm

I drank out of a bottle till age 7..but it was by choice...I think..

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 9:16 pm

I learned to talk at 8 months, and taught myself to read aged 2.