Anyone else hate football ? (soccer if you are american)

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2009, 4:00 am

ARGH its crap! Its a sport for apes! Theres nothing entertaining about kicking leather into a bleedin net! Have you heard the football chants?!? I cant sleep at night without some idiot passing my house shouting "SUNDERLAND! 4 NIL DUHHHHH"

I hate god damned football!

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 4:10 am

Amen to that! I hate it when someone barges in the livingroom, nicks the remote and changes the channel to some football match in the middle of a movie or one of my favorite shows. Then when I try to change the channel back, they act as if I'm being an as*hole.

I never understood the appeal of football, I'd rather watch some flippin' curling than that tripe.

Then, as you say, there are the supporters or as I like to call them "complete and utter wankers". They're the main reason I hate the sport, to them football comes before everything else, nothing matters except football. To hell with other people, to hell with not being a douche and to hell with whatever the hell other team is playing against their favourite. Which name they'll scream, yell and burp out every chance they get, followed by some mindless drivvle about how much they suck or a mindnumbing tale of how this "team of utter bollocks" lost to their favourite in some match in ages past.

If they didn't do it themselves I would blow up a stadium or knock their teeth in. Alas, they won't even give us that.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 4:41 am

sometimes people wondered if i was gay for the lack of interest in the sport :roll:

although i love sports but not team sports and i prefer doing them to watching.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 4:58 am

I only like badminton and table tennis. And Twister. And Monopoly. I like to be the wheelbarrow, the iron or the thimble. Sometimes the dog.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 5:27 am

Love football.

Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 5:40 am

I hate watching it.
I mean, what's so entertaining about a bunch of dudes (and, rarely, women), mindlessly running after a little ball?

But... I love playing it :lol:
Even if that makes me a mindless idiot running after a little ball.

Though I only like playing it in a big BIG open field.

So I can run away from the ball (I always ALWAYS get hit in the face. Every single game).

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 5:40 am

Football and I don't get on well at all.

I wouldn't go so far as to condemn those who obsess over it, as long as they don't spill it all over me. Luckily my parents didn't go for sport either, and being rather a reclusive family, the family TV set was never usurped for it. Having little in common with sports fans, I never associated with them, so I've managed to effectively dodge any attempts to ram football down my throat. Hence my mellow attitude to its devotees.

I did have a brief flirtation with football around 1966, when I was still trying to fit in with mainstream society because I thought there was nothing else out there. But I never got my brain round the rules (this is UK football as that's where I am), I could just about fathom the score (it changes when the round thingy goes into the net thingy), but all that stopping and starting was right over my head. And they change over to the other side of the field at half time, which always threw me.

To cap it all, the team I chose to "support" made it to the cup final, and had the match in the bag at half time, and then threw it all away in the second half. :x Luckily my heart was never really in it, so I didn't become as depressed as the other supporters, but naturally once I'd seen how happiness could be ruined by somebody else's mistakes, I abandoned all interest, and to this day I use that match as my excuse whenever I have to explain my disinterest in the game. The story seems to cut some ice with those who have a passion for the game, especially if I play up the "heartbreak" part of the tale. It's a bit of a stretcher, but it seems to go down better than just pouring bile on their special interest.

As for playing it, I couldn't kick a ball accurately to save my life, and my total failure to understand the rules (which they never teach, as they always assume that only a dork wouldn't have them in their DNA) made the whole thing a disaster. I was forced to play it at school for a while, but it didn't make me bitter towards the game, just towards the school. The guys at work once asked me to join their five-a-side team (they must have been really desperate!), so I politely declined, and when they pressed the issue, I just say "really, you'd never forgive me if I joined." They were disappointed with my response, but nothing like as disappointed as they'd have been if I'd taken up the challenge.

I agree that football fanaticism looks extremely backward from the outside. If it were a minority interest, its supporters would just look nerdy and sad - which is an observation Richard Dawkins made about religion, though he probably put it more elegantly. And my attitude to sport is much like my attitude to religion - they can pursue it with my blessing, as long as they keep it out of my face and don't use it as an excuse to let me down.

FieryGatoh
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 5:42 am

I have never understood the appeal of any sports. Just a bunch of people trying to kick the crap out of each other.

Brusilov
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2009, 5:47 am

I love baseball, but I can't stand any other team sport. I think the reason I like baseball is because you get frequent breaks in the action to rest and reflect. It isn't like you are constantly moving. I also like the emphasis on stats and the historical aspect. In baseball there is very little physical contact.

As far as soccer goes, I really can't stand any of the carbon-copy sports where you try and kick a ball into a net or move an object up and down the field. Those sports are non-stop and full of physical contact.

I prefer individual sports like weightlifting and running. I don't like being part of a team, and on the occasions I have been on a team, I never got along well with my teammates. I am on a league softball team right now, but I always fight with this other guy and it kind of ruins the fun for me.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 6:12 am

I don't like it - most Americans find soccer boring.

LAEMapsie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2009, 6:37 am

Never cared for football myself, when I was young I said I supported a team just so people wouldnt think I was weird.

Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 6:39 am

All the kids at my school (In my class) support some form of a football club:\
Very annoying when they start talking about it. I think I'm the only one not interested in it.

Brusilov
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2009, 6:40 am

Actually, youth soccer is really popular in America. It is the 2nd biggest youth sport except for baseball. Professional MLS soccer has just never caught on.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 6:52 am

I don't like it at all. Actually playing the game would be more fun if I could dribble and score goals etc., but I just can't. And watching it on TV is just boring to me.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

AmberEyes
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 6:53 am

When I was young, we did an activity where we had to line up (without talking to each other) in order of the football teams we each supported.

If this sounds confusing, it's because it is.
To this day I have honestly no remote idea what the point of the exercise was. It seemed rather futile at the time actually.

When I raised my hand and said truthfully that I didn't support a team.
I received looks from the others as if I'd said something against the unwritten Holy Scripture of football. This is what I believe the unwritten law is:

"Every child below the age of 16, in this country,must support a football team. Failure to do so is a blatant act of dissent."

The group leader said that I was "deliberately being awkward" by spoiling the exercise for everyone else. But I wasn't: I was being honest.

I've honestly found football boring and I have absolutely no interest in it and neither has my family.

I honestly find it incredibly boring and irritating, but I also realise that some people do genuinely enjoy it and I respect that.

I do not "suffer" from preoccupations related to football matches or memorabilia or constantly perseverate on it either.

Just because I don't raise a scarf above my head, get drunk, yell "Vindalo!" and chant in the stands doesn't mean that I'm a bad person.

It's such a pity.
A game that's good exercise has basically be turned into an image of a loutish, rioting, drunken and star studded affair.

The acts of a stupid and inconsiderate few probably ruin the experience for everybody else.

Darrenj777
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 May 2009, 7:05 am

hahaha i can see why people hate it so much.

i persoanlly dont suscribe too much to the tribal side of thigns and to be honest i dont think most 'real' fans have a clue about the real dynamics of the game.

on another level i thinks its beutiful and facinating metaphor for how beautifully and gracfully dynamic humans can be. the orgnanic ebb and flow of the games movement is breathtaking too, the way people move and communcate almost non verbally together towarsd a common aim.

the world cup is a beautiful event, its a rare opertunity to see world culture expressed in form and movement, its facinating to see how the different peoples and theyre cultures are abstacted into phycial activity...

the stuff surrounding football is often abhorent!