Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 2:43 pm

Some NTs have the ability to use logic, not all aspies are super logical.

Me, I am very logical most of the time I use logic to try to work out what to do in life.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 2:54 pm

The idea that aspies would be the masters of logical thinking is a worthless cliché most use to flatter themselves and to compensate for their other shortcomings, even if it many times isn't even true. It's definitely not true that aspies in general are better suited for logical thinking.

Most aspies I've met, including myself, are the most irrational people possible. NT's are highly annoyed by my lack of logic in my approach to most things.

Thatmew
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 3:57 pm

Yes, NT's have logic, but in recent times, due to what I believe to be rather lame parenting skills, the application of logic to common sense has gone very much so down.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 4:04 pm

Some do and some don't. Given that there are close to 6 billion NTs, it's only...logical...that there would be a great diversity of logic skills among such a huge pool of people.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 5:55 pm

Zoonic wrote:
The idea that aspies would be the masters of logical thinking is a worthless cliché most use to flatter themselves and to compensate for their other shortcomings, even if it many times isn't even true. It's definitely not true that aspies in general are better suited for logical thinking.

Most aspies I've met, including myself, are the most irrational people possible. NT's are highly annoyed by my lack of logic in my approach to most things.

I have to agree (with the first paragraph), unfortunately. If the title of the thread is supposed to be taken literally then it's very ironic. Threads like this demonstrate that aspies aren't as logical as they think. Seriously, if NT's didn't have logic the human race wouldn't have evolved from primates.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 10:06 pm

marshall wrote:
Zoonic wrote:

I have to agree (with the first paragraph), unfortunately. If the title of the thread is supposed to be taken literally then it's very ironic. Threads like this demonstrate that aspies aren't as logical as they think. Seriously, if NT's didn't have logic the human race wouldn't have evolved from primates.

Not to nitpick... but aren't humans still primates?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 10:58 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:

My bad. Yes, the majority of humans are still primates but some of us have evolved to the next level on the evolutionary ladder. Believe it or not I was once a primate myself.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 10:59 pm

marshall wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:

My bad. Yes, the majority of humans are still primates but some of us have evolved to the next level on the evolutionary ladder. Believe it or not I was once a primate myself.

Sorry, that's not funny in the least. Some people might actually take you seriously.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 11:24 pm

They may not always act like it, but I have seen that all NTs do have logic. It's just a different kind. Not better or worse than ours.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 11:28 pm

Social_Fantom wrote:
Not better or worse than ours.

"We" don't necessarily have logical thinking. I know many aspies like to play Star Trek, "two different races/species", because it helps them with the self image by projecting collective AS abilities onto themselves. The truth is however that there is no difference between aspie and NT logic other than the fact that aspies tend to more often act and think irrationally.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 12:17 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
marshall wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:

Sorry, that's not funny in the least. Some people might actually take you seriously.

I can't please anyone. :cry:

Actually I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to take this thread seriously. In a very literal stereotypically aspie interpretation the question in the OP is absurd. Of course NT's have logic! I suspected the OP was being facetious, maybe not. I can't tell.

Witch
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 May 2009, 12:22 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
Witch wrote:
I wonder.

It seems that NT's prefer emotion over logic, or incorporate emotion into their logic, not understanding why logic must be free of emotion.

Then again, it's also the background and upbringing of the individual that must be taken into account also. Many people use emotion to further their arguement, and if your response discounts that emotion, then the personal attacks erupt. Often this is how emotives win their arguements.

For many, logic is subjective.

This statement could be construed to mean that a truly objective scientist cannot be NT. Perhaps you have a better way of phrasing this?

I'm sure that there're many scientists that are truly objective-and many that aren't. What I mean is that your average person isn't logical as emotional, and they think their emotional responses are logical.

The thought is that A+B=C, but for many, they add a few irrelevent factors to make the equation illogical-A+B-E+S=C. It gets complicated and confusing, and that's what they do to make their arguement seem logical. Kinda like the whole health care fiasco.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 12:23 am

marshall wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:
marshall wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:

Actually I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to take this thread seriously. In a very literal stereotypically aspie interpretation the question in the OP is absurd. Of course NT's have logic! I suspected the OP was being facetious, maybe not. I can't tell.

Yes. Sarcasm is very tough to communicate over the Net, even if you aren't on the spectrum I suspect.

Sorry if I overreacted. I'm very anti-categorization when it comes to people.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 12:29 am

Witch wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:
Witch wrote:
I wonder.

It seems that NT's prefer emotion over logic, or incorporate emotion into their logic, not understanding why logic must be free of emotion.

Then again, it's also the background and upbringing of the individual that must be taken into account also. Many people use emotion to further their arguement, and if your response discounts that emotion, then the personal attacks erupt. Often this is how emotives win their arguements.

For many, logic is subjective.

This statement could be construed to mean that a truly objective scientist cannot be NT. Perhaps you have a better way of phrasing this?

I'm sure that there're many scientists that are truly objective-and many that aren't. What I mean is that your average person isn't logical as emotional, and they think their emotional responses are logical.

The thought is that A+B=C, but for many, they add a few irrelevent factors to make the equation illogical-A+B-E+S=C. It gets complicated and confusing, and that's what they do to make their arguement seem logical. Kinda like the whole health care fiasco.

I don't think that spectrum folks are exempt from this, either. Take rdos and his Neanderthal theory of autism, for instance. Many here would argue that it's completely illogical and based on his pre-conceived notions, which in some sense are likely to be emotional.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 1:45 am

Okay. I have the urge to go off on a philosophical tangent here.

I think it's wrong to categorize all thinking in terms of an epic battle between logic and emotion. Why can't someone have both? You don't need to be a robot to think logically and not all emotionally driven people are illogical.

No one's innermost desires/drives can be attributed to reason alone. People who try to do this are either confused, mislead, or intellectually dishonest IMO.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 1:53 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
marshall wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:
marshall wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:

Yes. Sarcasm is very tough to communicate over the Net, even if you aren't on the spectrum I suspect.

Sorry if I overreacted. I'm very anti-categorization when it comes to people.

No problem. I happen to like my weird dark sense of humor but hardly anyone ever gets it.