2 unique characteristics in autism i want to discuss

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 May 2009, 9:58 am

in my years of never ending research, i have come across 2 curious things that have come off in some research i have seen

often, autism strikes the first born male.......................i was the youngest and second born male........but when i think of autistics i know, a lot are the first born male............are you 1st born male

often, autistic children are unusually good looking................my 7 yr old is that case............he constantly gets compliments

any thoughts?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 10:08 am

First born female...and of average looks...My younger sister is NT though....(also technically prettier--and just all-around more normally developed) My face might be slightly more symmetrical..but that's it.

My grandfather's "lower functioning" brother was his younger brother.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 10:15 am

First born, but I'm female.
I consider myself average in the looks department, but I honestly don't know. I'm not good at judging that sort of thing; never was.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2009, 10:16 am

I'm the first born male out of my siblings, but then again I'm the only male out of my siblings.

embernator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2009, 10:17 am

first born anf female. I'm often told I'm really good looking by others and that I look way younger than I am. I think my younger brother is way better looking though, he's NT

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 10:21 am

baby of the family, have one older brother (probably spectrum) and one older sister (probably not).

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2009, 10:30 am

I'm a first born female, and my twin brother is the first born male. However, it is me and my younger brother (second-born male) who are the autistic ones.
I'm not good-looking, and I'm certainly not unusually good-looking. :lol:

I only know two other diagnosed Aspies that are not in my family. One is 1st-born male, the other 2nd-born male.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 10:45 am

Second born and youngest male. My brother is very neurotypical compared with me. Most people have a hard time believing that we are brothers. We look quite a bit different, but we do have similar voices.

I don't know where people get the "autistics are more attractive" idea from. From what I can tell, it's a complete myth.

AnAutisticMind
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 May 2009, 11:07 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
Second born and youngest male. My brother is very neurotypical compared with me. Most people have a hard time believing that we are brothers. We look quite a bit different, but we do have similar voices.

I don't know where people get the "autistics are more attractive" idea from. From what I can tell, it's a complete myth.

well you havent seen my son, lol

the symptom said "often" in both regards...but i do see your point

i just want your guys opinion on this as i see these things pop up once in awhile.thanks, fiddler

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2009, 11:22 am

AnAutisticMind wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:

well you havent seen my son, lol

the symptom said "often" in both regards...but i do see your point

i just want your guys opinion on this as i see these things pop up once in awhile.thanks, fiddler

Your son isn't a representation of every autistic person in the world. :wink:
He's just naturally attractive, I doubt it has anything to do with his autism. Perhaps it seems that many autistic people are unusually attractive because some people expect us to look different?

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 11:41 am

I did some more online research on this concept. The idea of beauty and autism appears to be quite prevalent. It appears that many people believe it to be true anecdotally, though there is no scientific evidence to support the position. Then again, how do you quantify beauty? That's a tough one.

AnAutisticMind, I just remembered something. My mother said that strangers would stop her on the street and comment on how beautiful a baby I was. (No joke... really!) To some degree, people were being polite, but when they went out of their way to make a comment, there was probably something about the way I looked that struck them.

Oddly enough, I have received the same sorts of comments from strangers about my 10-month old son. Comments from friends also go this way, "You always HAVE to say that someone's baby is beautiful, but yours truly is!" At the same time, it's absurd for me to ponder whether he is on the spectrum based on his looks (especially at this point of his life).

Not entirely related, but some food for thought:

Who we find attractive could have implications for the prevalence of autism, say researchers
http://insciences.org/article.php?article_id=1181

No One Knows Why Autistic Children Are Often So Beautiful But it can be a great comfort to their parents
http://www.paains.org.uk/articles/beautiful.htm

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2009, 12:06 pm

^ Awr, that makes me sad. I'm not in any way beautiful. :cry:
My mum says I am but she has to say that. :tongue:

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 12:36 pm

I'm a first-born female. My younger brother and I are both aspies. I've been told I am pretty but I don't think I'm "Vogue beautiful." I do hear consistently that I don't look my age. My brother is a good looking guy who has totally let himself go, with overweight, poor hygeine, no attention to hair and beard, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 1:11 pm

I cannot imagine what logical connection there could be between the first fertilised egg and autism, but then I am perhaps not as logical as a mathematician.

I am the first-born, and female; but I was not the first child conceived by my parents.

I believe myself to be far better looking than I actually am, and that seems to help a lot more in life than being good looking and not realising it.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 1:15 pm

I suppose the case could be made that autistics look a bit other worldly, but I think this is more of a demeanor and presentation rather than "raw" looks. It's more probable that we naturally present ourselves differently, sometimes very subtly. From what I've seen, it's fairly likely that people on the spectrum have very different life priorities than those who are neurotypical. As a result, their brains are going to prioritize things differently, which leads to a different demeanor. Undoubtedly some people find different to be attractive.

Even though I fit in pretty well with the rest of the world when I need to, I very often get the feeling that my first impressions on people are startling. I am extremely bold and confident, and I think people can sense that immediately.

Llixgrjb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 May 2009, 1:20 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
No One Knows Why Autistic Children Are Often So Beautiful But it can be a great comfort to their parents
http://www.paains.org.uk/articles/beautiful.htm

That sounds almost like a headline ripped from The Onion...