Any cool places to see or things to do in New York?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 10:04 am

Beyond the basics,Time Square,the huge buildings (Empire etc.),Central Park, (Broadway is too expensive BTW),Statue of Liberty etc. Plus any tips (All those people! I have a knee issue but will have my brace/cane and will be with my older sister (she's nice and FOUND the AS diagnosis) and her friend which is basically a family friend pretty much so it should be fun. Any cool gift ideas? Also I'm panicky! WHAT IF THEY WANT TO SEE WTC? (As alot of you may know I laughed that day how do I show emotion to something I laughed that day? I don't know maybe seeing it up close will get me emotional I'm more fascinated by how the steel fell then OMG 3,000+ people died (while sad of course).

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 10:21 am

Well, if you like museums, the Met is a great museum as is the associated Cloisters up by the GWB, MOMA is one of the largest modern art museums in the world, and The Museum of Natural History is just plain kewl (they've got a special mammal exhibit going on right now, and I hear they have an indricothereum :D).

Rockefeller Center is often considered a good tourist destination, though I'm not sure why.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 10:43 am

Interesting we might check out a museum we're not sure I know ONE thing it's going to be a VACATION AKA not planning this that this that. Just wing it and have fun instead of planning all the days out. :-) I'm so nervous! The people (But I will have knee support/cane so MAYBE they will not be jerks and bump into me!) Also I found out throught TSA you can't have gel inserts in your shoes! (OMG! I need mine kind of since one leg is shorter than the other what gives?!) Of course the aspect of safety and shoe bombs! But metal cane/brace/my other medical stuff but NO GEL INSERT!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 3:34 pm

It will depend on what you like. These were my favourite aspects of NYC:
-Intrepid Air, Sea & Space museum (warning: the light there can be terribly bright)
-Turtle Pond in Central Park
-ferry ride in the harbour
-cheap books: 1/3 of the Norwegian prices (doesn't help you, though, neither will the cheap food)
-New York Mix Club baguette, pear juice and water melon candy and sweet melon salad (close to drooling now)
-chopper ride (expensive, though) If you go for this one I hope you'll tell me about it. I wanted to badly but didn't dare since there were lots of thunderstorms when I was there.

I was pleasantly surprised by NYC. I never thought I'd enjoy a metropolis like that, but I did. I could even manage the crowds since I had fun and didn't have to interact with them. I will go back someday, I guess. I never expected to like it there. The reason I went was that I have always dreamed about flying with Concorde, and that was where she flew. (Well, that or Barbados, with its beaches - no thanks.)

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 5:45 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
-Intrepid Air, Sea & Space museum (warning: the light there can be terribly bright)

Oh that's back open again isn't it. I'd forgotten about it entirely.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2009, 7:32 pm

Try the Cloisters, up at the top end of Manhattan; an authentic Spanish Medieval monestary. It's like you're not even in NYC at all.

Try a NYC taxi cab; beats most roller coasters for fear and excitement...;)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 8:22 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
Beyond the basics,Time Square,the huge buildings (Empire etc.),Central Park, (Broadway is too expensive BTW),Statue of Liberty etc. Plus any tips (All those people! I have a knee issue but will have my brace/cane and will be with my older sister (she's nice and FOUND the AS diagnosis) and her friend which is basically a family friend pretty much so it should be fun. Any cool gift ideas? Also I'm panicky! WHAT IF THEY WANT TO SEE WTC? (As alot of you may know I laughed that day how do I show emotion to something I laughed that day? I don't know maybe seeing it up close will get me emotional I'm more fascinated by how the steel fell then OMG 3,000+ people died (while sad of course).

Considering your friend has just recieved an ASD Diagnosis, one way you can celebrate that fact rather cheaply and challenge yourself is to take a subterranean tour of NYC, for as few NYC Subway tokens that you can possibly get away with.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 2:46 pm

The AS diagnosis is for me. :-) My older sister found the disorder and thought it fit me. me/mom/her agree I have Asperger's. :-) The subway idea seems neat. :-) thanks for all the ideas!

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2009, 3:16 pm

Hmm...not really a tourist attraction or anything, but make sure you go to Pigalle's (West 48th, 8th Street) and order yourself some fresh apple juice! I had breakfast there everyday...HEAVEN...

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 5:23 pm

I third the suggestion of the Cloisters - definitely something that is a little "different," off the beaten tourist path (relatively) and quite wonderful if you have any interest in medieval art or architecture.

Fogman wrote:
Considering your friend has just recieved an ASD Diagnosis, one way you can celebrate that fact rather cheaply and challenge yourself is to take a subterranean tour of NYC, for as few NYC Subway tokens that you can possibly get away with.

We don't have subway tokens here any more.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 9:03 pm

Actually, the Cloisters (a building designed for keeping people inside), being so far away from the crowds of people, would probably work out fine. I seem to remember getting cards or tickets back in the 90s. Get a subway map if you use it. However, having a lot of people who don't look happy crammed in around you might not be the best method of transport. I managed, but it got testy at times.

There's tours of almost everything. You can go to a deli (not Zorbas, but starts with a Z) where they shot one of the funniest scenes of When Harry met Sally.. There's tours of Sex in the city landmarks, etc. Any number of museums. There's a small zoo in Central park (penguins smell, I'm afraid...;) You've hit most of the other places.

Greenwich village is a lot more like a normal neighborhood, and a bit odd, if you like those things (have we mentioned it yet?)

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 10:43 pm

nibble on the statue of liberty and tell me what type of apple new york is.

i'm going for gala.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 11:26 am

New York sucks! It smells, the people are wankers, and I wouldn't be caught dead there. 8O

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 6:10 pm

I've always wanted to visit NYC.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Jun 2009, 7:14 pm

The Cloisters at the north end of
Manhattan and The Museum of Natural History and the Hayden Planetarium were among my favorite places in NYC. Haven't been there in ages....

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2009, 11:52 pm

Please do yourself a favor and visit this perfume shop:

http://www.cbihateperfume.com/

some scents:
Beach
Forest
At the Library
Tobacco
Grass
Kitchen
Tortilla chip!
etc
etc

There are many scents which are only available at the gallery.

description of one perfume:

Quote:
AT THE BEACH 1966
The prime note in this scent is Coppertone 1967 blended with a new accord I created especially for this perfume – North Atlantic. The base of the scent contains a bit of Wet Sand, Seashell, Driftwood and just a hint of Boardwalk. The effect when you wear At The Beach 1966 is as if you've been swimming all day in the ocean.