Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 7:20 am

I like Forth, because I am closer to the system than I'd be with other languages. Since the first programming language always(?) is the one, you like, I also like Pascal (not too much ASCII soup) :oops:

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 7:21 am

Assembly Language. It's not easy to work with, but it sure is fun to learn, especially optimising it.

I'm also a python programmer (no bloody brackets or semi colons at ends of lines!), although I'm having to switch to PHP, as it's more widely used.

At the moment my projects include an internet cafe wifi AP manager/webserver/router for my sister's smoothie bar, with the interface in PHP, scripts for BF2 to switch the gameplay around, and make it into a kind of helicopter racing/stunt game. I've also written assembly language for PIC microcontrollers to do this:

that I'm back improving upon, and I'm trying to use what I learned from that to make a trainer for Sins of a Solar Empire. So far I've got the credits frozen, and I'm gradually picking up x86 assembly language in an attempt to freeze/modify some other values.

-_____-
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Apr 2008, 9:41 am

PHP here, it's a simple and fast scripting language that I can do almost anything I want to in.

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 10:10 am

Python

I also like Lisp.

Might learn C# at some point.

Encyclopedia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Apr 2008, 12:05 pm

Lisp looks interesting. How did you learn it? Are you using Common Lisp, Scheme, or some other dialect?

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2008, 12:56 pm

I still can't believe I'm the only Perl guy here.

Larry Wall I am forever in your debt.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 2:00 pm

LostInEmulation wrote:
Since the first programming language always(?) is the one, you like, ..

My first language was MSX BASIC, and it is not my favourite...

WillThePerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2008, 7:07 pm

AppleScript here.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 7:19 pm

Asterisp wrote:
One of the most persisting languages... COBOL

It feels a bit like myself. Sometimes too logical, when used wrong able to make a mess, can be extremely creative and powerful.

Mine, too. BASIC and C are a lot of fun.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2008, 1:40 am

Izaak wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Izaak wrote:
ADA!! ! :D

Hey i learnt this in uni and it was virtually unheard of. Just wondering why you like Ada?

Basically because it was no longer C :)

First language with strong typing and OO implemented that I learned.

That and I find it quite easy to pick up what is going on in a certain segment of code when reading ADA than I do any other language. It's use of plain English for a lot of operations is probably its most endearing quality.

Especially seeing as it's Anthropology and not programming (or computers) that is my perseveration, ADA is a lot easier to use for the tasks I use a computer for.

Ada was created for the United States Department of Defense right?

I bought a second hand copy of an Ada book which was written by my lecturer. When it arrived it had United States Department of Defense stamped on it!! !

Too bad i really sucked at programming :lol: I am trying to pick it up again. Going the Java route but might dig into Ada for nostalgia.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 9:48 am

Jonny wrote:
Izaak wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Izaak wrote:
ADA!! ! :D

Hey i learnt this in uni and it was virtually unheard of. Just wondering why you like Ada?

Basically because it was no longer C :)

First language with strong typing and OO implemented that I learned.

That and I find it quite easy to pick up what is going on in a certain segment of code when reading ADA than I do any other language. It's use of plain English for a lot of operations is probably its most endearing quality.

Especially seeing as it's Anthropology and not programming (or computers) that is my perseveration, ADA is a lot easier to use for the tasks I use a computer for.

Ada was created for the United States Department of Defense right?

I bought a second hand copy of an Ada book which was written by my lecturer. When it arrived it had United States Department of Defense stamped on it!! !

Too bad i really sucked at programming :lol: I am trying to pick it up again. Going the Java route but might dig into Ada for nostalgia.

I don't know much about the history but a brief look at wiki certainly indicates that it is at least USED by DoD. And other system critical applications.

As for ADA, I can't really comment on the strengths and weaknesses of various programming languages over other languages, and what they are strictly used for. As stated before, computing is not my main area (though I am passable in it, I am a Comp Sci student after all).

While my obsessions is something else, I plan to earn my living at Computers. Don't know what area yet, just getting a degree first.

One question I might have for those that do "know" computer languages... how d'y'all learn a programming language?

I.E. out of a book, help file, web forum, ISO standard, etc...

I remember learning C out of a book and then just fiddling with it. That was before the interweb so I basically just wrote small programs to do my math homework for me :) Of course this leans itself more to hobby programming than actually earn yourself a living programming so...

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2008, 10:07 am

I learned everything I know from out of books and by experience in applying what i learned in the books to the real world problems I needed to solve.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Apr 2008, 1:59 pm

I find most books really difficult to follow. They explain a lot of concepts early on, what everything does but lacks the practical examples. I find it difficult to piece these concepts together in my mind to move forward and tackle a project.

This is one of the main reasons I did so poorly in uni as a comp sci student.

However just yesterday, I set up Java and decided to follow this tutorial - http://java.sun.com/new2java/divelog/part1/ and suddenly everything clicked in my mind. Classes, Objects all that I couldnt grasp before has suddenly become clear.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 8:19 pm

first was a BASIC variant that had 3d applications added.

After that I learned some basic c++.

Haven't really dabbled into real programming that much yet...

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 12:20 am

Encyclopedia wrote:
Lisp looks interesting. How did you learn it? Are you using Common Lisp, Scheme, or some other dialect?

GNU Common Lisp.

I started learning Lisp because I used to develop for PennMUSH and TinyMUX-based games (which later turned into professional employment as a text-based games developer) which used a "lisp-like" internal scripting language. I don't really use Lisp much these days and I've forgotten quite a lot of it.

-Main
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2008, 1:27 am

I use Common Lisp, although Arc looks cool and is developing fast. I like how lisp lets you define your own abstractions. For example, I've seen people define their own object system and syntax for it in less than a page of code - something much more like C++/Java than the Common Lisp Object System, which just seems weird to a C# guy like me.