Attention, Programmers: Want to Make Wrong Planet Mobile?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 10:16 am

Disclaimer: This proposal is not officially sponsored by Wrong Planet or Alex Plank.

See Mobile Version of Wrong Planet Forums.
GitHub: https://github.com/NeantHumain/MoForum

I am proposing that we the members of these forums take the initiative in making this site more accessible from mobile devices; and in the Computers, Math, Science, and Technology forum, I suspect at least some of us have the skills to accomplish this. I would like to propose we develop a free, open-source web application to wrap around the forums and give a mobile-friendly view, using HTML5 instead of device-specific apps. Basically, the application would act as a proxy between the mobile user agent and the forums, transforming the site's HTML into more mobile-friendly HTML. For now at least, I wouldn't want to pay to host this, so I'd leave it to the end users to host this for themselves, and this would be better for security since no central intermediary would be handling their log-in credentials, but this would obviously not be very user friendly. A constraint is we obviously cannot reach the database phpBB uses or add a mod or theme to these forums ourselves since we don't run them; as far as I know, phpBB doesn't expose an API or web services of any kind, so we'd rely on screen scraping.

Architecture: I am proposing we use Scala running on top of the Java virtual machine, compatible with a fully open-source stack: GNU/Linux, the OpenJDK, and then Apache Tomcat or GlassFish Server for the Java servlet container/JEE application server. This means people could run this on GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, etc. without issues. We would use git for versioning and team collaboration.

We would have two tiers to the application: a RESTful API and then an HTML5 front-end. The RESTful API hides the ugliness of scraping the forums' HTML for the data we'd want to transform into mobile-friendly HTML by emitting a JSON payload. The HTML5 front-end takes the JSON and turns it into HTML5. Actually, the RESTful API in turn could be divided into two parts: a site-specific adapter that transforms the HTML into JSON (swappable for different forum software and sites) and then the plumbing for the web service itself.

Is anyone interested in contributing? For me, this would be a part-time, ad hoc activity, but I would be leading the effort with a professional software-engineering background. I would say this would be a good learning experience and, if we actually get this into a semi-usable state, would be something you could add to your résumé or college application. Besides programmers, people with a less technical background may also be able to make a contribution: user-interface design for the mobile front-end, QA/beta testing, and documentation (technical writing). I personally would be willing to act as a professional reference for aspies from this site who make significant contributions; this could help make aspies more employable.

Last edited by NeantHumain on 08 May 2012, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 10:53 am

Moving to forum software from this century would accomplish the goal while also improving the experience for non-mobile users.

However as of 2 years ago or so I understand the owner's position on this was that aspies can't handle change, so he won't ever change the forum software.

I wonder how many years he is going to hold onto this position. :)

Penny_Black
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 May 2012, 11:50 am

I'm all for making things are user friendly as possible. Not a programmer but I program every aspect of my life so it can run as smothly as possible. I thrive on apps.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 12:12 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Moving to forum software from this century would accomplish the goal while also improving the experience for non-mobile users.

However as of 2 years ago or so I understand the owner's position on this was that aspies can't handle change, so he won't ever change the forum software.

The last time Alex was forced to update to a new version of phpBB was because of a security vulnerability in the version Wrong Planet was using, and the site ended up getting defaced. I think Alex has customized the source code to phpBB somewhat, so he can't just upgrade without porting his changes.

I think half the fun would just be starting a new project to work on; it would be a lot of effort to sink just for the Wrong Planet forums, but I think this could be generalized to have broader applicability: a generic RESTful forum API and a generic forum user interface.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 12:21 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

The last time Alex was forced to update to a new version of phpBB was because of a security vulnerability in the version Wrong Planet was using, and the site ended up getting defaced. I think Alex has customized the source code to phpBB somewhat, so he can't just upgrade without porting his changes.

I think half the fun would just be starting a new project to work on; it would be a lot of effort to sink just for the Wrong Planet forums, but I think this could be generalized to have broader applicability: a generic RESTful forum API and a generic forum user interface.

I understand the "fun of the project" but in that vein, you could write generic forum software from scratch and open source it. I don't think there's a great deal about WrongPlanet that really demands customization or unique features. I wonder what Alex has customized in phpBB. I hope you understand that producing something competitive with commercial offerings could be a multi-man-year project though!

That he only upgraded phpBB because he was forced to is demonstrative of what I said above. You may have also read between the lines and noticed I strongly disagree with his approach here. But he's in charge. My position on the WP forums is that the software is really, really bad, and I also think the general site design could use an overhaul from a professional designer.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 11:41 am

There is now a repository on GitHub:
https://github.com/NeantHumain/MoForum

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 11:55 am

Good luck in your endeavor, but you realize phpBB offers a mobile interface, it may just be available in a newer release of phpBB than Alex is using?

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 12:51 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Good luck in your endeavor, but you realize phpBB offers a mobile interface, it may just be available in a newer release of phpBB than Alex is using?

I think you misunderstand the goal. This is an open-source project. The goal isn't necessarily to produce commercial-quality forum software. The goal is to create incremental progress, adding functionality bit by bit. For me, it's foremost an easy project where I can apply new technologies that I don't get to use on the job, and I hope to add at least functionality to list forums and threads (i.e., read only). The user interface doesn't have to look good as long as it avoids the need for me to pinch and zoom; again, a better user interface would just be a bonus.

The nice thing about the design MoForum will be using is that, if we want to create a bottom-up forum application, we can just pop in a different back-end instead of it scraping Wrong Planet and emitting JSON from that.

Anyway if anyone wants to take a look at the source code, they'll need a JDK, Scala, git, Apache Ivy (which works with Maven repositories), and sbt.

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 4:52 am

NeantHumain wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

I think you misunderstand the goal. This is an open-source project. The goal isn't necessarily to produce commercial-quality forum software. The goal is to create incremental progress, adding functionality bit by bit. For me, it's foremost an easy project where I can apply new technologies that I don't get to use on the job, and I hope to add at least functionality to list forums and threads (i.e., read only). The user interface doesn't have to look good as long as it avoids the need for me to pinch and zoom; again, a better user interface would just be a bonus.

The nice thing about the design MoForum will be using is that, if we want to create a bottom-up forum application, we can just pop in a different back-end instead of it scraping Wrong Planet and emitting JSON from that.

Anyway if anyone wants to take a look at the source code, they'll need a JDK, Scala, git, Apache Ivy (which works with Maven repositories), and sbt.

Dude, This is a website, Not a java VM.

Simply put, The first thing you need to do is Re-Write the CMS. Then get onto the Java.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 12:17 pm

bcousins wrote:
Dude, This is a website, Not a java VM.

Simply put, The first thing you need to do is Re-Write the CMS. Then get onto the Java.

Dude, I'm talking about setting up a sort of proxy that scrapes this website (since obviously I have no direct access to the server or database) and then spits out mobile-friendly HTML5.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 12:45 pm

I know nothing about programming, but I'd really love WP mobile or an WP app since I use an iPad, and sometimes get on WP using my dad's iPhone.

Allfly
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2014, 5:55 am

Hello, everyone!
I have been definitely browsing WP forum on my the simplest phone (not a smartphone at all) in the summer and fall of 2012. I decided lately to do this again and it appears I just could not. I can see title of a page and it is like downloading but the page always stays empty. I wonder if something wrong with the forum or with my phone (the same old phone). How do I know what's wrong?( I can use just Opera mini :oops:

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 1:43 pm

I am running an Android platform phone and I use the Dolphin browser and have no problems other then the pita of zooming in and moving about as the site obviously isn't intended as being mobile compatible. I have had problems with Opera in last year or so and it is why I made the switch to Dolphin.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 8:13 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Dude, I'm talking about setting up a sort of proxy that scrapes this website (since obviously I have no direct access to the server or database) and then spits out mobile-friendly HTML5.

You might want to wait ~3 months before you start putting a lot of effort into scraping HTML.

Edit: and don't use Java. Java sucks.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2014, 8:35 pm

C# beats Java anyday (and it's almost as fast as C++), but Java still serves it's purpose well when teaching people to do object-oriented programming.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 11:47 am

NeantHumain wrote:
Disclaimer: This proposal is not officially sponsored by Wrong Planet or Alex Plank.

See Mobile Version of Wrong Planet Forums.
GitHub: https://github.com/NeantHumain/MoForum

I am proposing that we the members of these forums take the initiative in making this site more accessible from mobile devices; and in the Computers, Math, Science, and Technology forum, I suspect at least some of us have the skills to accomplish this. I would like to propose we develop a free, open-source web application to wrap around the forums and give a mobile-friendly view, using HTML5 instead of device-specific apps. Basically, the application would act as a proxy between the mobile user agent and the forums, transforming the site's HTML into more mobile-friendly HTML. For now at least, I wouldn't want to pay to host this, so I'd leave it to the end users to host this for themselves, and this would be better for security since no central intermediary would be handling their log-in credentials, but this would obviously not be very user friendly. A constraint is we obviously cannot reach the database phpBB uses or add a mod or theme to these forums ourselves since we don't run them; as far as I know, phpBB doesn't expose an API or web services of any kind, so we'd rely on screen scraping.

Architecture: I am proposing we use Scala running on top of the Java virtual machine, compatible with a fully open-source stack: GNU/Linux, the OpenJDK, and then Apache Tomcat or GlassFish Server for the Java servlet container/JEE application server. This means people could run this on GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, etc. without issues. We would use git for versioning and team collaboration.

We would have two tiers to the application: a RESTful API and then an HTML5 front-end. The RESTful API hides the ugliness of scraping the forums' HTML for the data we'd want to transform into mobile-friendly HTML by emitting a JSON payload. The HTML5 front-end takes the JSON and turns it into HTML5. Actually, the RESTful API in turn could be divided into two parts: a site-specific adapter that transforms the HTML into JSON (swappable for different forum software and sites) and then the plumbing for the web service itself.

Is anyone interested in contributing? For me, this would be a part-time, ad hoc activity, but I would be leading the effort with a professional software-engineering background. I would say this would be a good learning experience and, if we actually get this into a semi-usable state, would be something you could add to your résumé or college application. Besides programmers, people with a less technical background may also be able to make a contribution: user-interface design for the mobile front-end, QA/beta testing, and documentation (technical writing). I personally would be willing to act as a professional reference for aspies from this site who make significant contributions; this could help make aspies more employable.

How can I say this without ruffling feathers??? hmmmm.....

Respectfully, this is not your site to take mobile.
Alex owns this site and he can obviously afford to improve this site and take it mobile(he lives in Beverly Hills, you know), BUT he does NOT CARE to, obviously.

Imo, this site needs a drastic set of improvements and we beg him to make them and he does NOT CARE to!! !
This is his prerogative and you will have to accept his choice.

Now let me be blunt.

If you or anyone else will make a superior site plus a mobile app for our community(not that hard), PEOPLE WILL LEAVE THIS SITE AND GO TO A NEW SITE.
However, Alex has a virtual global monopoly and no competition. Businesses that do not have competition.....don't compete.

I mean no offense and i admire your desire to help our community.
Be well.