Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

GoofyGreatDane
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2015, 3:51 pm

Freudian psychology is largely pseudo-scientific and debunked. There is little basis for the psychosexual stages of development or the existence of an independent subconscious mind. Yet when I read up on anything related to psychology (childhood amnesia, development,etc) - Freud is always given credence.

I realize he is considered the "father of psychology" - but that shouldn't mean anything. You don't see Aristotle's geocentric universe mentioned in texts on physics and astronomy- so why do we see Freud's pseudoscientific ideas in psychology?

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 5:09 pm

Because a lot of it hasn't been disproved yet, despite numerous active efforts.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 5:17 pm

GoofyGreatDane wrote:
Freudian psychology is largely pseudo-scientific and debunked. There is little basis for the psychosexual stages of development or the existence of an independent subconscious mind. Yet when I read up on anything related to psychology (childhood amnesia, development,etc) - Freud is always given credence.

I realize he is considered the "father of psychology" - but that shouldn't mean anything. You don't see Aristotle's geocentric universe mentioned in texts on physics and astronomy- so why do we see Freud's pseudoscientific ideas in psychology?

Hollywood and the MSM like his ideas and as they says "Sex sells"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2015, 5:26 pm

Because even though some of his claims are in doubt, he was a pioneer in psychoanalysis, which is a method that actually seems to work.

I understand that folks at the Judge Rotenberg Educational Center also claim that Freud's methods are obsolete.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 1:24 pm

xenocity wrote:

The onus is not on others to disprove it. You could say the same thing of any spurious theory.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 1:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
Because even though some of his claims are in doubt, he was a pioneer in psychoanalysis, which is a method that actually seems to work.

I understand that folks at the Judge Rotenberg Educational Center also claim that Freud's methods are obsolete.

Does it really? Majority of talk therapy nowadays is psychotherapy derived, not psychoanalytical derived there is a difference. Are basically saying that talk therapy appears to work, in which case I would agree it has some effectiveness.

Psychoanalytical theory is bunk though.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2015, 4:19 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
xenocity wrote:

The onus is not on others to disprove it. You could say the same thing of any spurious theory.

Well dealing with psychology and the like, it is very hard to prove anything, hence why there are competing theories.
Freud did his best on what was available at the time.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 9:45 am

Maybe because most psychologists have a penis fixation? :lol:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 5:48 pm

xenocity wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
xenocity wrote:

Well dealing with psychology and the like, it is very hard to prove anything, hence why there are competing theories.
Freud did his best on what was available at the time.

Freud was a neurologist and doctor, so it is not as if he was not aware of the scientific method. He studied in his youth cerebral palsy, aphasia and neuroanatomy.

The theories are bizarre creative fiction. He was an ok hypnotist however.

Btw his theories of repressed memory have been largely debunked. Which is good becuase psychoanalysis is not a good treatment for PTSD.

Tearran
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2015, 3:38 pm

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2015, 9:20 pm

GoofyGreatDane wrote:

Oh Doktor Freud, Herr Doktor Freud
How we wish you had been differently employed
Instead of fiddling with neurosis
You could have cured sclerosis,
Oh what a same Herr Doktor Freud.