Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 7:09 pm

Now, I don't want to come off as somebody who hates programming-in fact, I would love to make things. But I genuinely don't "get" things in my head, especially larger and more complex problems. I was watching a video by Derek Banas on how to solve problems in Python, and at some early point in the series I suddenly start feeling mentally taxed because the problems get harder and more complex as they go on.

How can I improve so I don't get mentally taxed so easily? I don't understand what it means to truly "go beyond my horizons".

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 7:14 pm

I'd suggest several short practice sessions a day. As you gain experience you may be able to extend the length of each session.

Priola
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2017, 7:28 pm

BTDT wrote:
I'd suggest several short practice sessions a day. As you gain experience you may be able to extend the length of each session.

This. ^

I was like that in school. But programming is more like Math. The more you practice the better you get at it.

Focus on the structure. And choose a domain you're comfortable with.

I have no experience with Python but I know that it's one of the hardest big data programming languages.

Why do you need to learn Python - for school?

R is relatively easier to understand for beginners - maybe if you can start with that first Python would get easier?

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 8:45 pm

I'm learning with Python because I am a beginner developer, but so far I'm only learning this as a hobby for fun.

And how long do you think I should go a day?

Priola

26 Mar 2017, 9:09 pm

I am assuming you already know some kind of programming language like C++ or Cobol?

It took me a month to get used to the programming structure and syntaxing (and I learnt a couple of different programs). I learnt SQL, SAP BI, C++ to name a few all of which I think are easier than Python to understand.

I am assuming Python is more object oriented. - Object oriented programs tend to be tough to learn.
Start with the basics. Understand the structures, commands and syntaxing. Then move onto applying the program. It is just like learning a new language. You need to understand the structure the vocab and the application. The more you practice the better you get.

I don't know if that helps?

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 9:55 pm

Are you saying that I should learn something else than Python? Okay, it's fair enough.

Priola

26 Mar 2017, 10:03 pm

No I am not discouraging you. I am just saying that maybe learning the other languages first might help you understand Python better.

Just what I think.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 11:52 pm

I thought Python was the easier beginner-friendly language.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2017, 2:18 am

When I want to learn a new language I hack. I take small working programs from other people and play with them. Change little things here and there and see what happens, that kind of thing.

If you try to predict what little programs will do after changing little things here and there, you do not have to know all of the syntax. You just have to know the syntax of the part you are changing. This teaches your brain to learn the language faster though because you are forced to think in terms of it right away.

Recognizing patterns is part of programming. It is also probably the hardest part for those who can not see big picture. You have to allow your brain time to build up the circuitry to allow you to see the big picture, just the same as for us all, I am afraid.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#/bin/python

a = 10
print(a)

a = a + 1
print(a)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Play and have fun with it! Hope that advice helps. It is just advice, not a program you must follow ;)

unimatrix001
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Apr 2017, 9:01 pm

Languages don't really matter. It's all the same. If you "get it", you can pick up any new language in a few minutes. I don't tend to visualize large systems in my head, I rely on compartmentalizing things. That's where object orientation and interfaces come in. Each piece of the system should have a well-defined function, and a well-defined interface with each other part. Then you can test each piece individually, hook them together, and the whole thing will work. And then you don't have to visualize the whole thing at once.