Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 11:23 am

Some have said that time started at the Big Bang and so talking about before the Big Bang is meaningless like talking about north of the North Pole. Others say that the Big Bang was not the beginning of the time and referring to before the Big Bang makes sense.

Of course there are a small minority of scientists who dispute there was a Big Bang at all.

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 1:36 pm

I read about the theory that our Universe is inside a big black hole and The Bing Bang was when this black hole was formed. This black hole ("0ur Universe") is in a infinite large Universe that has always existed.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 11:16 pm

I don't know, but I've often thought that without a universe-with-contents, without movement or change, time does seem meaningless. Perhaps, just as motion needs time, time also needs motion? I've also heard a "cosmic switchback" theory that says that some time in the far future when all we have is homogenous pea soup (the "heat death of the universe"), the whole process will go into reverse, including time, until we have another enormous bomb which will start another Big Bang, and so on ad infinitum. But that all seems to me to presuppose another kind of time by which the cycles of the switchback could be measured. Maybe these matters are too far outside of normal human experience to think about?

Anyway, I still don't quite get how time can be just a fourth dimension like the 3 dimensions of space. It seems to have a very different quality to the space dimensions.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2024, 12:21 pm

Time ended....

yesterday!