Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 9:32 am

it's a pop-up saying that my computer might be at risk. It popped up here in WP by the way.

here's what I get initially:

and then I try to turn it off and it takes me to an animated page where it looks like it's scanning.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 9:36 am

IDK I once had a pop up using an icon that looked like my security system. It said I was at immediate risk and should click on to remedy the problem. What it actually did was let the problem in. It completely ruined my computer.

If I had looked more closely I would have noticed misspellings and grammatical errors that would have tipped me off that it was bogus.

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 9:41 am

digger1 wrote:

and then I try to turn it off and it takes me to an animated page where it looks like it's scanning.

Good bye then 8O ...No seriously, I think you're just supposed to shut your computer down if you get something like that, but I am not an expert.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 9:48 am

still here.

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 10:07 am

...or delete your cookies/cache and history...

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 11:06 am

It's a scam. Don't click OK you will just infect your computer with something nasty.

Close the box with the X at the top right.

If in doubt just unplug your modem and shutdown your computer without clicking anything else at all. Maybe overkill but depending on what permissions you have allowed in your browser you could trigger a malware install.

I never get any pop-ups like that, but then I use Firefox with pop-ups blocked and various add-ons that keep such crap out including all the adverts that apparently appear on WP. Not that I've ever seen any adverts on here, but others who use Microsoft I.E. say they get them.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 12:05 pm

There is a banner ad on WP that for two days now has been triggering Avast! Malware warnings for me. I don't get it anywhere else, but its popped up here three times now. I don't know which ad it is because Avast! shuts down my browser when it happens and by the time I reopen its a different ad, but it always happens just as I'm changing to a fresh page and the ads are loading.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 12:38 pm

Willard wrote:
has been triggering Avast! Malware warnings for me.

I run Avast too. No warnings at all, so presumably my browser / settings / add-ons block it before it even becomes a threat.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 12:47 pm

You may want to scan your computer for malware or trojans. You can do a free scan by visiting http://housecall.trendmicro.com

I am working on an article about things you can do to repair your computer for free using tools that are easily available. My intent is to help people fix the most common problems that occur with computers. http://www.plaza1.net/Computer_Repair.html

Last edited by cyberscan on 29 Nov 2009, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 1:29 pm

I use firefox browswer, with adblocker plus
and "remove it permanently" plugin also.

No ads ever seen here.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 2:19 pm

I never get that kind of pop-ups.

I'm a happy Apple user :)

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 2:22 pm

In the title .CN is mentioned. Everything with .cn on internet is bad (except for 1%)

Useful general rule: When you are offered something on internet you did not ask for, it is dangerous.

Now you have clicked the window it will be useful to run an extensive scan for spyware and viruses.
http://housecall.trendmicro.com is okay.

I use Spybot S&D to scan for spyware and Avast for virusscans.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 4:36 pm

Aimless wrote:
IDK I once had a pop up using an icon that looked like my security system. It said I was at immediate risk and should click on to remedy the problem. What it actually did was let the problem in. It completely ruined my computer.

If I had looked more closely I would have noticed misspellings and grammatical errors that would have tipped me off that it was bogus.

Was this Windows AntiSpyware 2009 by any chance? --I had to manually remove the f***ing thing.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 6:39 pm

Scientist wrote:
I never get that kind of pop-ups.

I'm a happy Apple user :)

I'm a happy Linux user, but my clients insist upon using Windows, so I have to stay up on the latest and greatest repair techniques.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 6:41 pm

Fogman wrote:
Aimless wrote:

Was this Windows AntiSpyware 2009 by any chance? --I had to manually remove the f***ing thing.

I don't know. My nephew fixed it and he said it was royally screwed.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 6:46 pm

OP's popup screencap wrote:
An ironic statement about OP's computer being at risk.