Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Appen
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 May 2006, 5:45 am

My favourite OS would be Mac OSX Tiger because it look cool, easy to use and is stable.

My seconed favourite would be Linux because it is free and can go on almost any computer platform.

I hate Windows XP(Extra Pathetic) because of meny reasons.

1. It is Microsoft
2. Too meny viruses
3 It's Microsoft
4 It crashes to mutch
And Five it's Microsoft

I think you know now I HATE Microsoft

Scaramouche
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2006, 7:12 am

There's a very good chance that I'll be losing Windows XP and installing anything else soon.

jammie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 May 2006, 7:56 am

hiya,

i like MAC OSX, and i use window for my obbsession, so for me the perfect compreimise is a Mac mini inter core duo running boot camp. 2 GB of RAM.

jammie

$lion = "constant";
$lil_lion = "escape";
$baby = "dum dum, babo";
$jammie = $lion."sheepy and my comforts";

$jamie = $lion.$lil_lion.$baby.$jammie;
?>

Tremere
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2006, 7:46 am

I find it easier to multitask in OSX, but I have no problems using Windows, the amount of spyware and viruses I've got in the past few years is very very low, so no problem there.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2006, 4:35 pm

I have to agree with Tremare on this. I've been using XP for nearly 3 years now and have had no real issues with it at all. --At the same time, I'm fairly vigilant about what browsers I use to surf, where I go on the web, and what I download. Most WinXP virus/worm/spyware issues seem to stem from people using IE as their default browser, which is a big mistake, as a lot of malware will download onto your computer, and install itself through security holes in IE and ActiveX.

Also, many people that have spyware issues with WinXP due to the fact that they didn't read the EULA on programs downloaded from the Web. The EULA will always describe (albeit sometimes in a misleading way) additional third party software that is bundled with the application.

For Example, the free GUI version of EDonkey/EMule comes bundled with the NewDot Networks toolbar, which is a fairly odious piece of code that will hammer your bandwidth, as well as being quite difficult to remove. The EULA for the program doesn't mention specifically the software that it's bundled with, only that it comes with third party advertising software.

If you're vigilant with XP, and know some of the security limitations of it, it works as intended, provided that you scan for, and remove spyware.

I have a love/ hate relationship with Linux. I really appreciate the fact that it's free, as well as the fact that it's very stable and virus free from the start. I dislike the fact that it can be quite difficult to configure.

When I was using RH9, my boot sector got trashed for unknown reasons, and when I would boot up, it would inform me of this, and immediately open a shell console and VI.
Unfortunately, the only way that I could solve the problem would have been through looking up the solution via internet, and trying to fix the problem from there. --This was made moot by the fact that networking services were not available in rescue mode, and I was therefore unable to find a way to fix the issue, and lost all data on the drive.

I have yet to do anything withany version OS X , other than play around with it, so the only thing that I can really say about it is that it looks like a nice platform.

I'd also like to add that if OS X or Linux became the dominant operating system, Malware coders would quickly start coding their crap for whichever platform that had the largest market share.

alexa232
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2006, 2:24 pm

Appen wrote:
My favourite OS would be Mac OSX Tiger because it look cool, easy to use and is stable.

My seconed favourite would be Linux because it is free and can go on almost any computer platform.

1. It is Microsoft
2. Too meny viruses
3 It's Microsoft
4 It crashes to mutch
And Five it's Microsoft

yay for Appen! yes, and yay for Apple as well!

emp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2006, 8:04 am

Appen wrote:

1. It is Microsoft
2. Too meny viruses
3 It's Microsoft
4 It crashes to mutch
And Five it's Microsoft

When you speak like that, I am fairly sure that the majority of people realize that you are being a fanatic (biased and irrational), and they give little attention and weight to your opinion.

You say XP is an acronym for Extra Pathetic but I think your list of 5 reasons is extra pathetic.

By the way, I own an Apple Mac Mini Core Duo, as well as a PC running Windoze XP.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2006, 10:28 am

emp wrote:
When you speak like that, I am fairly sure that the majority of people realize that you are being a fanatic (biased and irrational), and they give little attention and weight to your opinion.

You say XP is an acronym for Extra Pathetic but I think your list of 5 reasons is extra pathetic.

By the way, I own an Apple Mac Mini Core Duo, as well as a PC running Windoze XP.

I'd turn these kind of assanine comments filled with drivel right back at you, but that could in itself be ironic and get rather confusing.

So I'll just leave it at that you're just being an angry twit which would seem to be par for the course.

Now actually on topic, I love Free Software. Not just because it generally doesn't cost money (It's free as in free speech, not without cost.), but because there are far fewer limits. If I wanted to write a program which used Open Office to generate files I could. It might not be the best choice mind you but I still have the right to do it. And it's very important I think to have the rights to use a product in strange, even outright silly ways.

Linux Operating Systems are a lot better then Windows. Really I should say GNU, but I get the feeling many people won't understand it. A lot of these Operating Systems which use primarily open source software are extremely similar.

I like QNX too. I really should take some time to try and get better with it.

rearden
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jul 2006, 8:18 pm

If you buy the $300 special at Best Buy, Windows will most likely crash incessantly. It's because of the cheap, crappy hardware used in those computers. I built my computer using good quality parts, and I'd often go 1-2 months between reboots w/ WinXP. Since Apple has complete control over the hardware they use, they don't have to deal with the same problem.

That said, I just recently switched to Linux because of WGA. I had an unlicensed copy of Windows. When I could no longer download anything from their site, I decided to just buy a license when I got paid at the end of June. Then came the WGA tool, which was a little disturbing. Finally, it was revealed that Microsoft had WGA check in with their servers on a daily basis. When they got caught, their excuse was:

Quote:
Lazar said the company decided to add the safety measure because the piracy check, despite widespread distribution, is still a pilot program. He said the company was worried that it might have an unforeseen emergency that would require the program to terminate quickly.

So they're forcing this WGA crap down peoples' throats, yet they aren't even confident that it can go a whole day without doing god-knows-what. Cute. And if THAT is the sanitized, public-friendly excuse, the real motive is probably even worse! That's what did it for me. I have no problem with them disabling updates/downloads when I'm running a pirated copy. But when I'm a paying customer, I have no interest in jumping through hoops to continually prove to Microsoft that I purchased a license.

So, I switched to Ubuntu. For Windows-only applications, I run a copy of XP under VMWare, with all the update/download/security center/other BS disabled. I'm very happy with it so far. I've sworn by Linux on servers for 10 years now, but until recently it sucked for home use. The GUI was slow, kludged together, clunky, ugly, and something as simple as changing the screen resolution (or, God forbid, the refresh rate) was downright masochistic. That's why I stuck with Windows. However, Linux has come a very--VERY--long way over the past year or so in that regard. It's definitely worth switching now.

Slapula
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2006, 1:23 pm

rearden wrote:
So, I switched to Ubuntu. For Windows-only applications, I run a copy of XP under VMWare, with all the update/download/security center/other BS disabled. I'm very happy with it so far. I've sworn by Linux on servers for 10 years now, but until recently it sucked for home use. The GUI was slow, kludged together, clunky, ugly, and something as simple as changing the screen resolution (or, God forbid, the refresh rate) was downright masochistic. That's why I stuck with Windows. However, Linux has come a very--VERY--long way over the past year or so in that regard. It's definitely worth switching now.

If any of you are serious about switching from Windows XP to Linux, I wholeheartedly suggest Ubuntu 6.06. It's very easy to install and with sites like http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper you can have all the functionallity (multimedia or otherwise) of a Windows machine within a half hour. Granted there are times when you may need to use CLI, but hey that's Linux.

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2006, 4:10 pm

Fogman wrote:
I have yet to do anything withany version OS X , other than play around with it, so the only thing that I can really say about it is that it looks like a nice platform.

I'd also like to add that if OS X or Linux became the dominant operating system, Malware coders would quickly start coding their crap for whichever platform that had the largest market share.

There would certainly be attempts to do this however, MAC OSX and Linux are inherently more secure in some respects than Windows XP. Any program to be installed usually requires that you type in the user password which is markedly different to the way Windows does things.

As long as you don't run Linux as Root you should be relatively free from trouble and if anything untoward gets through then it can only trash the user's own subdirectory or any that have been intentionally opened up for that user and you do back up your personal data, don't you?

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2006, 10:24 am

My school has MAC OS, and it causes it to freeze on you. I would prefer Windows XP. That's what I have.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2006, 2:57 pm

Windows XP is a pile of bloatware, my fiancee's laptop and my mother's computer both run slower than they should be, and I removed a lot of stuff from the temp directory on my fiancee's laptop, which made a difference only for a few days, I don't know what Mac OS X is like as I don't have a Mac, but Linux, which isn't bloated if you install what you need only, is very reliable, recovers well from programs misbehaving, and is pretty much secure, used on all my machines except one that is set aside for guests

In short

Buy WIndows XP = buy bloatware
    Buy Mac with Mac OS X installed = you'll have to figure that out because I don't know
    Download and install Linux = secure and reliable :D

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

a1kemi
Raven
Raven

12 Jul 2006, 8:50 pm

I like the way OS X is made. What could be better than a mac with a *nix kernel?

Pikachu wrote:
In short
    Buy WIndows XP = buy bloatware
    Buy Mac with Mac OS X installed = you'll have to figure that out because I don't know
    Download and install Linux = secure and reliable :D

XP bloatware? Just waite for windoze vista!

What windows fans need to realize is that the whole IT industry basically relies on huge server rooms and powerfull operating systems. All this stuff behind the scenes is usually BSD and some linux. Since mac OS X is *nix based, this makes windows the odd one out. The only thing keeping MS in the game is their financial hold on the market. Windows is only an end-user operating system (as a server it can't realy serve more than 500 hosts max) and is not the only user-friendly OS. Real operating systems are made to be usefull, the primary purpose of MS products is to get your money. Oh, and some of the features of vista are "inspired" by mac. Looks like MS is still doing what they do best: copying ideas from mac.

If you ever get the opportunity to see the inside of a large server room you should take it. I dare you to ask the tech what version of windows they are running :lol: .

EDIT: spelling

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2006, 12:36 pm

a1kemi wrote:
XP bloatware? Just waite for windoze vista!
I assume, in true widows fashion, it will be bloated

a1kemi wrote:
What windows fans need to realize is that the whole IT industry basically relies on huge server rooms and powerfull operating systems. All this stuff behind the scenes is usually BSD and some linux. Since mac OS X is *nix based, this makes windows the odd one out. The only thing keeping MS in the game is their financial hold on the market. Windows is only an end-user operating system (as a server it can't realy serve more than 500 hosts max) and is not the only user-friendly OS. Real operating systems are made to be usefull, the primary purpose of MS products is to get your money. Oh, and some of the features of vista are "inspired" by mac. Looks like MS is still doing what they do best: copying ideas from mac.
I agree on much, if not all, of that

a1kemi wrote:
If you ever get the opportunity to see the inside of a large server room you should take it. I dare you to ask the tech what version of windows they are running :lol: .
I have been in a small college server room, and I saw on one or two monitors Windows Server 2003, which explained my theories of why this college had a network full of problems, though some nice equipment was in there, the servers were all running Windows Server 2003 and that was the letdown. I didn't bother asking the technician which version of windows was running as I could clearly see it. If they wanted reliability they should at least have installed Linux or BSD on their servers, but nooooo, they, like other "i want MS to have all my money for a product that is full of bugs" people, used windows, across the entire network, server 2003 on the servers as I mentioned, XP, and 2000 on the workstations (I recall at one point only a few years ago they used windows 95 on some workstations, what were they thinking? lol

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

Fooker
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2006, 3:31 pm

University of Alberta server rooms (at least in ETLC, ECERF, and iCore) all use OpenBSD, Solaris, or Linux. But they do have a bunch of Windows terminal servers as well, so that all their desktops can be running Linux or Mac OS X and still run Windows programs.

One thing that always brought a smile to my face was the reboot board. It was a large screen in the main tech office in one of the buildings, that listed each server and its recent reboots. You could click on a server and see its entire reboot history. The majority of Linux machines, you would click and see, booted on blah at blah, hardware upgrade. No other reboots. Some of these hosts had been running for up to 5 years without a reboot, and were still giving performance.

Windows terminal servers never went more than a few days without rebooting. Or being reinstalled. Spyware and malware was a huge thing on those servers, as people would use IE on them to get to websites that didn't work with Firefox. And sure, you can say that its bad surfing practices, or bad computer usage policies that caused all of this spyware problems, or the relative lack of AV products (cheaper to reinstall every other night or so than to buy AV products for all of them). But look at their Linux terminal servers, for those who needed Linux and had solaris or Mac on the dekstop. The things had no AV protection, no usage policies, no nothing to keep out spyware and malware. Yet they never had any problems - off of the top of his head, the admin could not remember having to reinstall a Linux or Solaris terminal machine because of spyware or malware - it was almost always hardware upgrades.

So yeah, you can avoid most things in Windows breaking by being extra careful, but with Linux or Solaris or FreeBSD or any other *nix, so long as you don't run as root, you can go anywhere, do anything, and the worst thing that might happen is that your user account gets stuffed. So you delete the user, add a new one, restore the backup, and go back to work. Maybe 10 minutes total? How long does it take to reinstall Windows again?

Grecko