Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

saraip
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jan 2013, 1:21 pm

Not sure if this has been posted before, but what are your thoughts on the Mars One project?
Mars One project

Basically, the idea is that you get shipped off to Mars on a one-way ticket. The opportunity of a lifetime but no chance of coming back to Earth. Would you do it? I definitely would - I'm busy trying to find any way possible to become an astronaut - but I'm curious if others would be keen? Of course there are a lot of risks and challenges, but being a human guinea pig sounds pretty cool to me :)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 6:00 pm

saraip wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted before, but what are your thoughts on the Mars One project?
Mars One project

Basically, the idea is that you get shipped off to Mars on a one-way ticket. The opportunity of a lifetime but no chance of coming back to Earth. Would you do it? I definitely would - I'm busy trying to find any way possible to become an astronaut - but I'm curious if others would be keen? Of course there are a lot of risks and challenges, but being a human guinea pig sounds pretty cool to me :)

That concept might appeal to the Japanese.

I would just as soon stay on Earth and see my grandchildren grow up, get married and perhaps produce some great-grandchildren.

ruveyn

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 6:15 pm

You and Imnoparakeet ought to team up.

Taking a pleasure cruise to look at Olympus Mons, the Martian 'grand canyon' ( which is really "the Martian Great Rift Valley"), and taking a close look at those alledged pyramids at cydonia, would be nice. But not being a pioneer trying to live there, much less taking a one way ticket to the place.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2013, 6:51 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
You and Imnoparakeet ought to team up.

Taking a pleasure cruise to look at Olympus Mons, the Martian 'grand canyon' ( which is really "the Martian Great Rift Valley"), and taking a close look at those alledged pyramids

High resolution images have shown the "face" at Cydonya of tall hills of rocks. No face. Sorry.

ruveyn

Last edited by ruveyn on 19 Jan 2013, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saraip
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2013, 2:23 am

Ah @ruyven - you have already made some investments with regards to your life on earth - yeah, I haven't done that and don't want to have kids in the first place. Understandable why you wouldn't want to go.

@naturalplastic - the time taken to get there and back would exclude tourism as the moment, but I'm sure in 20 or 30 years things might change.

If someone gave me the chance to go I wouldn't even give it a second thought - I'd do whatever it takes to be perfectly honest. Still, I do question whether they should be training people in their teens though - I would have thought they would take astronauts who are around the same age as the astronauts who go to the ISS - i.e. between late thirties and 60s by the time they actually go up into space.