TPM is not seen by Windows on Dell Optiplex GX620 SSF

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

C64boy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jan 2014, 10:58 pm

I relentlessly but a Dell Optiplex GX620 Small Form Factor (SFF) for $80 the problem I have with it is that the TPM is not seen by Windows even with it on and activated and with the drivers Installed I'm running Windows XP professional thanking about upgrading the ram to 4GB and hard drive to 500GB and installing Windows 7 Ultimate so I would like to use the TPM for Bitlocker and to use EMBASSY Trust Suite (ETS) with my usb finger scanner.

Thanks for the help,
Hunter (c64boy)

ibookfan92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2014, 11:10 pm

You have Windows 7 on there? I am not a Dell fan by any means, but I remember the 620, which really should be running XP Pro (64-bit if supported); if not, try Windows 8 which has several TPM enhancements. Better yet, if you have the patience to try it, there are better operating systems that still work well with both security and other computers, but respect your freedom, like Gnu/Linux, or OpenIndiana. In any case, I hope this helps you in this situation.

C64boy

01 Feb 2014, 2:18 pm

I tried tpm_version in my terminal on ubuntu 13.10 :x , i get this error:
Tspi_Context_Connect failed: 0x00003011 - layer=tsp, code=0011 (17), Communication failure

when i check /dev/ there isnt any tpm folder either
There doesnt seem to be any driver installed for my tpm chip.

I'm having a ST v1.2 TPM on my motherboard... how can I install the driver?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Feb 2014, 7:21 pm

Googling the error message you gave unearthed quite a bit of information - it's fairly old, but may give some clues.
One thing I'd ask is whether that device is supported by your kernel - the lack of a /dev entry seems to show that it's not going to happen automatically, but finding out if that's a simple configuration issue or a complete lack of support will take more digging.