What is a good WYSIWYG Linux HTML/Javascript editor?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2014, 10:04 pm

I'm going to be using either Ubuntu or Ubuntu based Linux Mint. I want a good WYSIWYG HTML and hopefully Javascript editor. HTML is the biggest issue. Free is good, but I don't mind paying a couple of hundred bucks for something that works well. Any suggestions?

mrrhq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2014, 11:01 pm

I'm also kinda... sorta working on a Website too. I would look at maybe BlueFish. It reminds me of the layout of NotePad++. Also, I'm not sure, but maybe you can get NotePad++ working On Linux, even though it's mostly advertised for Windows Systems.

If you're really hardcore: Emacs/Vim. Even pick Gvim!

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2014, 11:29 pm

mrrhq wrote:
If you're really hardcore: Emacs...

EMACS is still around. I'm old enough I had a PDP-11 with EMACS. I'll take a look, for old time's sake. Thanks!

mrrhq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2014, 11:43 pm

Yeah, but it's now made for a modern computers.
I had no idea people used Emacs on those old computers. That's amazing.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2014, 3:00 am

Isn't it true that Emacs is essentially like a whole OS in and of itself? A common joke among Vi users is that it's a decent OS that unfortunately lacks a decent text editor, or something like that. :P

Myself, I use Nano, mainly because it reminds me of EDIT.COM on DOS. Gawd I miss using MS-DOS 6.22 on actual hardware...

jAlw
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jun 2014, 3:24 am

your memory + notepad

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 4:01 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Isn't it true that Emacs is essentially like a whole OS in and of itself? A common joke among Vi users is that it's a decent OS that unfortunately lacks a decent text editor, or something like that. :P

Myself, I use Nano, mainly because it reminds me of EDIT.COM on DOS. Gawd I miss using MS-DOS 6.22 on actual hardware...

There are days when I'm ready to dig out DOS 6.22, C++ 3.0, and Word for DOS. And, one Meg of memory is plenty.

wbport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2014, 6:05 pm

The vi editor is still around.

astroman66
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jun 2014, 7:30 pm

wbport wrote:
The vi editor is still around.

I don't know of a serious wysiwyg html editor. I teach a html workshop to grad students and I used to use nvu and kompozer but now I just have them use notepad or the mac text editor and show them the basics followed by the time honored tradition of stealing and modifying web pages they like.

vi is alive and well. I use it everyday for html, perl, ruby and editing any text file. But then again, I belong to a bygone computer era.

I have a friend from college with whom I still spar with over the big emacs-vi question.

Something's wrong with him. He programs in LISP.

I end each email to him with :wq
He tries to bury me under parentheses.

I was going to post a funny cartoon here but I can't yet, so google xkcd and lisp

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 10:03 am

I don't think there is any such thing as good WYSIWYG for HTML.

You don't see Javascript outside of the context of a browser, so a browser is the right way to look at it. It's also the right way to look at HTML.

A good set up is a text editor to modify your HTML, CSS and javascript and browsers to check it in. You can't get more WYSIWYG than that, it isn't hard to save and reload as you make changes, so there isn't a good reason not to do this.

Vim and emacs are good because you can configure them to support your style with syntax highlighting, etc. I like the idea of emacs, but prefer vim in practice. the chording in emacs is hostile to my carpal tunnels.