Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 12:04 pm

I think doing side-by-side comparison of computer models is information overload. Should I just count the pros and cons of each model? Can you give me an example? I'm also undecided what I want to use my computer for. I already have some games, should I give those up so I can get a cheaper PC/Laptop? It's hard, because sometimes I just feel in the mood to escape life and play a game. I purchased the 2013 Sim City game, The Sims 3 and Rulers of Nations: Geopolitical Simulator 2. Do I need to use one of these as a baseline?

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 2:37 pm

My advice would be to do a bit of research on how computers are built. There is a ton of information online about how to build your own PC, the components you need and how they go together. I promise you that after a few weeks of looking at different PC parts you'll look at ready-built machines and think: "Do they really expect people to pay money for this crap?"

Even if you decide not to build your own PC, you'll know exactly what's inside the machine you're buying and what it's capable of.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2014, 3:36 pm

I always have a minimum set of requirements when buying a computer--and then I buy the cheapest computer that matches these specs (Dell Inspiron, in my case). When I bought my computer in 2013, I wanted something with a full HD screen, 15.4" or smaller screen with full HD, dual GPUs, 8 GB RAM, and an i7 CPU--at the cost of less than 7,000 NOK (roughly 1,200 USD).

Borden88
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2014, 3:50 am

Well, when I look for a laptop, a 17.3 inch display is what I always go for (I often watch movies/TV shows on my laptop), the style, I won't by crap quality. I only by Toshiba, ASUS or SAMSUNG. My last 4 laptops where Toshiba, becuase they have been cheaper. I usuauly buy a new laptop every year, to keep up to date.

I try to buy at top of the line as I can, with what I can afford.

I also, check underneath, and see how easily accessable the HDD and RAM is. I had a couple where you have to remove the whole bottom panel, just to get to the RAM or HDD. I had two different HDD that I would switch, but I forget why. I always like if they are easily accessabe (a cover, apposed to the whole bottom).

I check the keyboard, and see if I like the feel of it. I also boot from Ubuntu CD, and see if everything works, and it has the drivers.

I usually pay around $700-$800. The one I have now, is kinda cheap. The mousepad buttons, don't work as well. When I goto left click, it would bring up the right click menu, also when typing on the keyboard, the letters don't always go through, which is annoying.It's a Toshiba Satellite L70D-A.
I couldnt afford a better one at the time.