Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 3:55 pm

I've been wanting to disassemble SMB2J (Lost Levels) for a while now (see below), but as I continue I start becoming daunted by the sheer purposelesness of the exercise. Now every programming project seems to be daunted by its length and its purposelessness.

http://sm2.beneficii.net/

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 5:25 pm

And yet still am I drawn to this project!

Also, SMB3 has been disassembled.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 3:08 am

I'm not sure why you think of old school hacking as purposeless. There are very strong online communities that love these systems (especially ones as popular as the NES) so just go with it.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2014, 4:27 pm

beneficii wrote:
I've been wanting to disassemble SMB2J (Lost Levels) for a while now (see below), but as I continue I start becoming daunted by the sheer purposelesness of the exercise. Now every programming project seems to be daunted by its length and its purposelessness.

http://sm2.beneficii.net/

you sound a bit depressed

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2014, 2:32 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
I'm not sure why you think of old school hacking as purposeless. There are very strong online communities that love these systems (especially ones as popular as the NES) so just go with it.

I know. I myself have done it. I designed the world maps (and hacked the code so that when you get off a boat you return to that spot after dying) for Blue Mario Bros. 3, created the SMB3 Map Editor, and did various other things.

These feelings are more recent. It's like the spark that was there is gone.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2014, 10:09 pm

Got something working. The static angle() method returns the unit circle angle (from 0 degrees to approaching 360 degrees), which can then be used to find the offset of the point at the given angle, setting off perpendicularly from the given angle. The offset() method uses the unit circle angle to find the offset.

See here for more detail:

http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39897