Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 7:33 pm

I'm not sure if it's illegal to facilitate trade with other WP members, if it is notify me politely and I'll remove this advertisement.

-------Begin Offer-----------

I am selling hard drives for 69.99 CAD they are 500 GB and I no longer need them. They are all formatted and overwritten using 1s and 0s meaning even the most sophisticated forensic tests wouldn't be able to recover the old data.

Prices in other currency:

Euros: 48.88
Pounds: 34.59
Australian Dollars: 73.65
USD: 53.64

Shippment:

Via Canada Post the package will come in an large envelop. I'm not sure how long it will take to arrive. I am currently selling in UK, Australia, US and Canada. I'll check with Canada Post via email, I'd say a hard drive weighs about 3/4 to 1 pound so I'll check.

Payment method:

Bitcoin or Ukash vouchers:

Ukash vouchers are cash coupons on the internet that you can buy at gas stations type in your address or city and you can find Ukash suppliers near you. They come in $10 coupons.

Bitcoins are a digital currency and a triumph of mathematics. You can purchase some on http://www.localbitcoins.org. You can pay via PayPal, credit card, gift card (Amazon mostly), bank transfers etc. you can even meet up with said vendor.

You can also get me to install an OS on the hardrive.

Windows XP: +25 CAD
Windows 7: +25 CAD
Linux or Unix: +5 CAD (since it's open source)

Sorry no Mac. If you have another OS you'd like me to install on it I'd be happy to as long as it's open source and I don't have to pay. Also no Vista or 8.1.

Hardrives may take a while to set up.

Are these prices too expensive?

Let me know what you think, would you pay?

If you are interested PM me. I also need to teach you how to anonymously send your information to me. If you use PGP encryption that means a third party (WrongPlanet) won't see your info.

Since I'm nice. If you want you can send me a picture of your computer's hard drive and I'll find one that fits. I plan on making $200 CAD, I expect mostly UKash vouchers so I'll probably get lots of different types of currency.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 7:53 pm

Should we assume these are SATA drives, and not IDEs?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 8:11 pm

Sethno wrote:
Should we assume these are SATA drives, and not IDEs?

No, I actually have both. Why, are you interested?

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2015, 10:40 pm

Rudin wrote:

Here in Australia, Brand New:

Seagate Barracuda 500GB ST500DM002 $69
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003 $75

So $73 + Postage is entirely to expensive.

For a second hand 500GB drive I wouldn't pay more than $20.

Anyway that's my opinion.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 3:23 pm

UnturnedStone wrote:
Rudin wrote:

These are formatted though, good as new. Except it's partitioned.

Postage is free by the way, I have it covered.

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2015, 7:50 pm

Rudin wrote:
UnturnedStone wrote:
Rudin wrote:

Formatting is free and very simple... Someone that knows how to install a HDD will know how to format it.

You can't really say they are as good as new...

The average HDD has a 90% chance that it will survive for three years. If the drive does make it to the three-year point, there’s a 12% chance per year that the drive will die.

For $2 extra I can have a drive that is brand new, has twice the storage capacity and 3 years warranty.

None of this means you won't have any takers. I am just trying to add my perspective as someone in the IT industry.

If you have a lot of drives you may be better off selling them in bulk on Ebay or the like.

Good Luck!

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 8:23 pm

UnturnedStone wrote:
Rudin wrote:
UnturnedStone wrote:
Rudin wrote:

Formatting is free and very simple... Someone that knows how to install a HDD will know how to format it.

You can't really say they are as good as new...

The average HDD has a 90% chance that it will survive for three years. If the drive does make it to the three-year point, there’s a 12% chance per year that the drive will die.

For $2 extra I can have a drive that is brand new, has twice the storage capacity and 3 years warranty.

None of this means you won't have any takers. I am just trying to add my perspective as someone in the IT industry.

If you have a lot of drives you may be better off selling them in bulk on Ebay or the like.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your opinion :).

I don't know anything about the industry.

I have 4 available hard drives.

I don't need that much money. If I get someone to buy it in bitcoin for 100 USD I can sell the bitcoin for more money and make even more money. Plus I'm 12 so I don't need to "stack the money 'til the band pops" <--- Badger.

-Paul Erdos

-Bruce Schneider

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 7:58 pm

UnturnedStone wrote:
Rudin wrote:

This, why would someone buy the OP's used harddrives if they could buy a brand new one(with manufacturer warranty and free returns) for cheaper?

A 500GB harddrive has very little resale value unless its one of those models with miltary grade encryption and self destruct features built into it.

Some items have good resale value, others do not. In many cases it is probably better just to hold onto whatever electronic you have rather than sell it.