Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

DinoMongoosePenguin
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2017, 5:45 pm

I thought this problem would go away if I went from 4GB RAM to 8GB RAM. I also went (not by that much choice) from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It seems that my Chrome, etc, stuff was using about 75% or so of my RAM on Windows 7 and is using about 55%-60% of my RAM (sometimes as high as 70%) on Windows 10, despite double the memory. (Even system processes, that I've never noticed before on Windows 7, are taking between 50MB and 100MB of RAM.) It seems that Facebook, Twitter, and Wordpress hog it and online news sites REALLY hog it (I blame the ads).

What could be the cause of all of this RAM hogging (and no, it can happen with 5 tabs open or 25, though the more tabs I have open, even if close them, the worse it seems to get.)

Is this the issue of:

1.) Memory leaks
2.) Data mining and who knows what that FB, Twitter, Wordpress, etc runs in the background
3.) Stupid ads hogging up the memory
4.) AdBlockPlus taking up extra RAM.
5.) It's just normal and nothing to worry about.

BTW, I've tried using other browsers and it seems that, other than perhaps Edge, which I have barely used, have similar issues.

Another thing I've wondered is if people have become too careless about memory management. I mean, when you could only use a MB or two of RAM, they REALLY made sure that they used memory efficiently. However, I'm wondering, now that we're getting into Terabytes, etc, are programmers just getting downright careless with memory management?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 6:16 pm

There is a lot more video and bandwidth intensive applications on the web these days.

Eurythmic
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2017, 2:24 am

Probably a combination of 1-4.
Buggy drivers are notorious for causing RAM leaks.
8GB is about as low as I would go with RAM on newer versions of Windows.
If you don't want to go up to 16GB of RAM perhaps consider running a SSD instead of an old fashioned hard drive, that way your swap space will be lightning fast.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 4:57 am

I run Manjaro Linux with KDE, I browse using Cyberfox (performance oriented Firefox fork) with a crapload of addons, I have Steam and Discord running almost constantly, and I hardly ever hit even 4GB of ram used. :P Right now I'm at 2.8GB of physical ram usage with 0 bytes of pagefile usage.

If you wanna use less RAM, Linux is the way to go.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2017, 9:44 am

Switch to a lighter Chromium-based browser. Disable plugins by default. Use few extensions and keep almost only stuff that won't allow to track you. Keep your ad blocker because it's much more secure and it increases loading speed.
I do all of the above. I use portable Chromium. It's never been even half as fast as now and its RAM use is ridiculously low. And this on all the OSes I have at home. It's the best browser I've ever used. I don't ever want to go back to what I used before, and I tried almost everything that wasn't almost totally unknown.
Applications have been more and more bloated lately. You can't escape it as long as you use proprietary software because it always has useless extra crap installed and this only to track everything you do and for useless aesthetics. It's only going to get worse and worse with time. So, basically, what mr_bigmouth_502 said.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Feb 2017, 3:39 pm

Recently I had a problem with Chrome spontaneously opening up multiple tabs loaded with Ad-Ware and crap-ware.
I simply deleted Chrome and went back to using Fire-Fox. Problem solved.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 4:43 pm

So here is my Judas! I like Chrome's layout but from this thread it sounds like it might be adding towards my laptop's shoddy performance. It wasn't the best piece of hardware to begin with though, and tools like C-Cleaner can only do so much.