Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 2:56 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
^^ I think that depends largely on what you intend to use the machine for. I find it hard to manage with only a single screen these days, but that is primarily because coding is one of my special interests, which is greatly assisted by being able to view multiple code files at the same time, space for error reporting etc. But my second screen is usually empty if I'm just web browsing or using "office" applications.

I should maybe point out though, that I learned my computing back in the days where running multiple applications at the same time was seen as a luxury, so even now, I rarely have more than one or two programs running at the same time. I also don't like my PC to be multi-tasking because my brain is not good at multi-tasking - for example, I always check e-mails manually and would never have my mailbox open or notifications enabled while I'm working (note, this might be a useful "reasonable adjustment" at work for some autistic people.)

I do some multitasking, because sometimes I need to mull things over, and then it's nice to do something else while I'm thinking, but mostly I prefer to keep my desktop as clean as possible. I hate notifications with a passion, too! I'm in the process of getting rid of a lot of email subscriptions, because they just mess with executive functioning.

I'll do mostly text editing, but I might do a lot of that. I can always get a second screen if I find I need one.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 3:45 pm

If you do a lot of work on longer manuscripts, it might be worth checking if the monitor you buy can be rotated to a 'portrait' rather than 'landscape' orientation. I've never used one myself, but I've known people who do a lot of desktop publishing who really like to be able to work on a single printed page full-screen.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 4:05 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
If you do a lot of work on longer manuscripts, it might be worth checking if the monitor you buy can be rotated to a 'portrait' rather than 'landscape' orientation. I've never used one myself, but I've known people who do a lot of desktop publishing who really like to be able to work on a single printed page full-screen.

Very good idea!

When editing, I always print out just because the process is a lot more exact and quick when on paper, but the horizontal orientation of screens has always bugged me. Will definitely look out for that!

zac2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Nov 2017, 5:31 pm

Most video cards have a HDMI connection.
I just pug mine into the 42 inch TV set.
Ideal for graphic work just sit back and put your feet up.