Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2007, 3:17 pm

I compiled pcsx2 from here.

http://www.pcsx2.net/downloads.php

It won't allow me to use a empty directory I made for a plugins directory. Everytime I try, it makes a new pop up message.

Anyone know how to get it working?

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2007, 4:01 pm

have you tried placing the directory outside of the pcsx2 tree - say simply within your documents.

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2007, 5:03 pm

DingoDv wrote:
have you tried placing the directory outside of the pcsx2 tree - say simply within your documents.

Yes, I have tried placing directories on the desktop, so it's not a problem with permissions. I also tried compiling the latest source code from subversion.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 6:40 pm

In your screen dump, you have the bios and plugins directories shown as being under the /usr/local/games/pcx2 directory. I dn't know what you meant by "I have tried placing directories on the desktop", because that's not where you show them.
Try doing:

Code:
ls -l /usr/local/games/pcx2
to see the permissions and ownerships of the directories it is using. It may be sufficient that you add yourself to a group... typically "games". It may be a minor bug in the way the stuff has installed itself.

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2007, 6:48 pm

lau wrote:
In your screen dump, you have the bios and plugins directories shown as being under the /usr/local/games/pcx2 directory. I dn't know what you meant by "I have tried placing directories on the desktop", because that's not where you show them.
Try doing:
Code:
ls -l /usr/local/games/pcx2
to see the permissions and ownerships of the directories it is using. It may be sufficient that you add yourself to a group... typically "games". It may be a minor bug in the way the stuff has installed itself.

After he suggested it, I created 2 empty directories on the desktop and configured pcsx2 to use those for the bios and plugins directory instead. However I still had the same problem. The problem doesn't seem to be with permissions.

chris@ubuntu:~$ ll /usr/local/games/pcsx2/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 chris chris 4096 2007-11-20 10:18 bios
drwxr-xr-x 3 chris chris 4096 2007-11-17 13:50 plugins
chris@ubuntu:~$

lau
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 7:20 pm

Life (Linux) can be even more obscure...

It's just possible that, at the point where the attempt is made to access the directories, the code is NOT running as user "chris", hence won't have write access to the directories.

It's quite dodgy, having directories under /usr/share that are owned by a normal user. How did that happen?

I'm just having a go at it myself (damn 7zip... didn't have that installed.)

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2007, 8:45 pm

Since I created the directories, they automatically became owned by my user. Also, I wanted to be sure there wasn't a permissions problem even though that wasn't necessary.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 9:32 pm

moo_cow wrote:
Since I created the directories, they automatically became owned by my user. Also, I wanted to be sure there wasn't a permissions problem even though that wasn't necessary.

My point entirely. If you created the directories, you may have caused a permissions problem.

Normally, I would not expect non-root access acces under /usr/share, except where specific groups and special usernames are concerned.
I.e. except for some webmin files that have group "bin", some phpBB files with owner/group "admin", and some phpGroupware files with owner/group "www-user", I have nothing (bar a couple of image files accidentally still owned by me) that is not root/root.
Actually, getting files under /usr/share that are owned by a normal user is fiddly. In the case of the couple I have in there, it's because I copied them as root.

Unfortunately, the source code doesn't seem to have any hints with it about how the install is supposed to go. I guess I'd need to look on their website for that? It may be simplest to scrap everything under /usr/share/games/pcsx2, run the install again, and install purely under your own home directory (assuming you only one who wants to use it).

Anyway... it's 2:30am, and I'm off to bed.

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 1:29 pm

Try 777, just to see if it is a permissions issue.