Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 6:57 am

Does anyone else have to deal with stupid people? I’m particularly thinking about in relation to computers and technical support?

I read an article years ago stating that the most common technical support calls made to computer manufacturers and resellers were resolved by telling the caller to plug the computer into the mains electricity supply!

I laughed at the time thinking that was tongue in cheek, because people are not that stupid. I was wrong.

I've had lots of strange support calls over the years, mainly from users who have "tinkered" and wrecked things rather than people who have a straightforward question or problem.

Suppose you trash your computer for whatever reason and get a friend to reformat it and reinstall everything, how do you proceed when some software asks for your licence number?

Do you:

a) Enter a valid licence number, or if you have lost your valid licence number contact the vendor and ask for the number again

or:

b) Go into the software installation repair mode
c) Delete some files using Windows Explorer
d) Edit some binary data files using Microsoft Word
e) Delete a few registry settings
f) All of b, c, d, e and f!

Do you then contact the software vendor and (only) tell them you have lost your licence?

Are you then surprised that the licence does not work and you get an obscure error message which is computer speak for “WTF! I cannot make sense of this software installation”.

I see now why Vista has a UAC and tries to block users from messing with files in the program files folder and user data folder. A little knowledge is a very dangerous thing and some computer users are their own worst enemy.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 7:03 am

They should put the contact number where the licence number is, and vice versa.

kalantir
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 7:19 am

Yeah, I can't relate to your specific situation. But I remember when I worked at Albertsons and Id get the most ret*d customers I swear. "Wheres the marshmallow cream? I can't find it anywhere even though Im standing right in front of a giant display of it as we speak!" or then theres the people who ask me if we have a specific item in back and I tell them no(because I was just back there and specifically remember putting the last of it on the shelves) and so they go ask someone else, who asks me... It frustrates the hell out of me. As for computers... I think that when you install windows it should ask you to "Rate your level of proficiency with computers on a scale from 1-10). And then it should set permissions accordingly. Also, they really shouldnt make the first user an admin. Period. Not only does it make it a lot easier for people to screw up their computers, it also makes it easier for viruses to attack it.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 7:36 am

kalantir wrote:
"Wheres the marshmallow cream? I can't find it anywhere even though Im standing right in front of a giant display of it as we speak!"

Thats called the purloined letter effect. Its not always a sign of stupidity.

Quote:
I think that when you install windows it should ask you to "Rate your level of proficiency with computers on a scale from 1-10).

Dont idiots think they are better than they really are? Thats why they break the computer in the first place. Maybe thats why I have a test computer!

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 7:56 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Dont idiots think they are better than they really are? Thats why they break the computer in the first place.

The latest support call I've had today is from someone who decided they wanted to make the software available to someone else on the same computer. They had the bright idea of moving all the files from the Program Files directory to the shared users document folder. They were surprised that the software now fails to work for anyone on the computer so they tinkered some more, not sure exactly what they did (neither are they!) Unfortunately the computer (XP) is now so confused that they can't properly uninstall the software to be able to reinstall it again clean.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 8:13 am

I used to do DSL Tech support, and I've had to deal with some really stupid customers, including a guy who was really pissed of that I couldn't fix his computer, even though he was calling on his cell phone more than 50 miles away from it.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 9:33 am

Fuzzy wrote:

No, they should get rid of those ridiculous license numbers entirely. Problem solved.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 9:48 am

Orwell wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:

No, they should get rid of those ridiculous license numbers entirely. Problem solved.

Well if all software was free (of charge) that could be the case. However, some of us earn our living by writing software. Maybe all software will eventually become open source and free of charge, in which case it will all be written by hobbyists.

Not sure how many will take the trouble to learn programming though in the first place or to study computer science at University if there are no (or very few) paying jobs in the industry, so it could be a double edged sword for the industry.

The outsourcing of development to places like India is killing I.T. in England. I don't know about America? In England it is regarded as a dead end course now as there are less paying jobs at the end of it. It is also hitting other computer related jobs such as Project Management because traditionally these roles will filled by programmers moving up the ladder.

The idea of getting income from support rather than licensing doesn't seem a very strong financial business model and few have gone that route successfully. Does Canonical make much profit?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 10:03 am

TallyMan wrote:
Well if all software was free (of charge) that could be the case. However, some of us earn our living by writing software. Maybe all software will eventually become open source and free of charge, in which case it will all be written by hobbyists.

There's plenty of software that's not free of charge but still doesn't have licensing numbers. Apple software doesn't (I've reinstalled OS X multiple times and never been asked for a license number). There are several Linux distros that cost money (Red Hat Enterprise anyone?) and they don't have license numbers. Stuff can be open-source without having to be free of charge, and people can and do get paid to develop open-source software, even in projects where the software is available free-of-charge. (After all, the Mozilla Foundation employs programmers, but when's the last time you paid for Firefox?) Sun Microsystems is doing pretty well, and open-sourcing their previously proprietary office suite and operating system have brought them back from obscurity.

Quote:
Not sure how many will take the trouble to learn programming though in the first place or to study computer science at University if there are no (or very few) paying jobs in the industry, so it could be a double edged sword for the industry.

Some people would just find it to be fun. Some people would do it to solve their own problems that they run into while computing. Some would get jobs in open-source development.

Quote:
The idea of getting income from support rather than licensing doesn't seem a very strong financial business model and few have gone that route successfully. Does Canonical make much profit?

They earn money; I don't know how successful they are in relation to other corporations.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 11:15 am

Stupid people is the reason why I hate America.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 11:22 am

gramirez wrote:
Stupid people are the reason why I hate America.

Fixed. :P

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 11:44 am

While on the subject of stupid people, how about this one:

The French government are keen that all English people living in France can speak French. OK that is fair enough. So the French authorities have arranged for free French classes in lots of areas and published phone numbers for us resident English to phone to arrange lessons. So far so good.

However, the people at the other end of the telephone don't speak a word of English, so you have to speak to them in French. As this is France it isn't a short phone call, it is a long one with lots of bureaucracy involved so the caller needs to speak fluent French ... to be able to arrange lessons to learn to speak French.

Duh. They haven't quite thought this one through. Catch 22 anyone?

Loreic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2009, 12:40 pm

I do believe that this T-shirt is an ode to some people who call tech support. :D

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2009, 12:52 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Suppose you trash your computer for whatever reason and get a friend to reformat it and reinstall everything, how do you proceed when some software asks for your licence number?

I enter the license number I intelligently stored away for such an instance.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 12:58 pm

Loreic wrote:
I do believe that this T-shirt is an ode to some people who call tech support. :D

Quite funny. Thanks for the link. Here it is in full
Quote:
Must... resist... urge... to... kill.... luser....

At one time or another, the average computer savvy geek has been drafted to the stressful and low-paying ranks of "Tech Support". All of us at ThinkGeek have done it in one form or another. Whether due to job description or a family favor, sometimes you just have to help out a computer user in need. Unfortunately amongst the throngs of the clueless, there's bound to be a handful that stand out for their phenomenal lack of brain cells and inability to listen and follow directions. When one of these lusers needs help, be prepared to work through your lunch break, bang your head on the table a few times, and hit the mute button on the phone and scream.

When confronted with such a vacuum in the universe of clue, the only way to classify the problem is PEBKAC. Don't know what PEBKAC is? You may be experiencing an ID-ten-T error. But because we're feeling generous today, we'll help you out. PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair.

100% cotton heavyweight black t-shirt. The letters 'PEBKAC' and an iconic person being strangled by a phone line printed on the front in white and red. Very cute.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 7:38 pm

I don't know, what's worse, stupid people calling tech support, or normal to intelligent people calling stupid tech support?