Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Kuramu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 May 2010, 9:04 am

I mentioned in another topic that I am currently obsessed with the show, VeggieTales. I figured, "Why not make a topic about it? Let's see if any others here like it!"

The show features a group of limbless vegetables, who live on a kitchen countertop. Bob The Tomato and Larry The Cucumber are the main characters (and, often, hosts) of the show. In each episode, they open with a letter that they got in the mail from a kid who has a question. They respond by telling a Bible story, or a story that focuses on God's teaching (for example, there was an episode about forgiveness).
In the middle of each show, there is a segment entitled "Silly Songs With Larry," where Larry comes out a sings a silly song. For example, there was one where he sings about how much he loves his lips. The story resumes, and at the end of each show, Larry and Bob cover what they learned, and close with a verse, and the phrase, "God Made you special, and He loves you very much."

There have also been specials (and a spin-off series) for Larryboy, who is the super-hero counterpart for Larry. Larryboy saves people, and promotes overall goodness and God's Word. The first special he was in was "Larryboy And The Fib From Outerspace," which was about how a small fib grew into a (literal) monster.
There were also two movies for VeggieTales, "Jonah: A VeggieTales Move," and "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything."

Are there any fans of the series on WrongPlanet? What's your favorite episode? How about Silly Song? What do you think about the characters?

Kuramu's Favorites:
EPISODE: This is a hard choice, but I remember the episode, "King George And The Ducky" the most. Same goes for "Dave And The Giant Pickle," and a few others.
SILLY SONG: I love "Love My Lips," "The Hairbrush Song," and "Song Of The Cebu."
CHARACTERS: Larry has been my favorite since I was small, and he still is my favorite to this day. Same goes for Larryboy.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 1:17 pm

I used to love the show as a kid! I particularly got hooked on "The Water buffalo Song" :D

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 1:18 pm

Now you got the theme song stuck in my head! Thanks :wink:

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 1:52 pm

I never liked the show (thankfully, i was in my late-teens when it came out). Had to deal with my cousins watching it, and during some baby-sitting for a family friend. I could accept the show better if they didnt do the whole, "God said ___" bit. A kid's show can be about morals without dumping religion into the mix.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 4:58 pm

My dad's a minister so being the minister's kids we usually ended up testing the veggietales videos before they went to the church. I was a bit too old for them so I haven't seen a lot of them, but I think the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything song is cute. Oh, and Junior Asparagus.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

squeeker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2010, 7:15 pm

Ooh VeggieTales!! I loved that show as a kid. :) I remember we rented them from our church, and we owned one... "Rack, Shack, and Benny" or something like that. I also got a VeggieTunes CD... It's hard to pick a favourite episode... I can't remember them very well. I liked most of them though. Same goes for the silly songs.. lol. I do however remember thinking Junior Asparagus was so cute and I think he was my favourite character, as well, I think he was both my sisters' favourite character too. lol. Yay for VeggieTales! haha

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 9:18 pm

Madame Blueberry was a big one for our kids. To this day, my wife and I can't walk through the hardware section of Costco without one of us exclaiming, "Oh, look! Air compressors!" in a bad French accent.

Favorite silly song would have to be "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything".

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 9:32 pm

VeggieTales is awesome! It's been years since I've watched it, but I clearly remember my favorite Silly Song being "Song of the Cebu".

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2010, 10:11 pm

I watched them a ton as a kid. When my little brother was born I sort of hoped he would start watching them so I'd get to see them again :P

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 5:59 am

I thought the concept was silly...but it does prove to be addictive.

Goes off to sing the Stuff Mart anthem....

BigJohnnyCool
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2010, 6:39 pm

I used to watch VeggieTales (I still do occasionally,) but I don't now as often as I did because it seems to be more about Movie Parodies for children and less about God (which it is intended to be more about...) However, there are still some favorites of mine:

--Rack, Shack, and Benny
--Josh and the Big Wall
--Lord of the Beans

I always love Silly Songs with Larry... The song of the Cebu was easily one of my favorites...

i also made a video combining VeggieTales and one infamous wrestler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Y6SY0Lwx4[/youtube]

Tokiodarling21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2012, 10:17 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-2Z8LnB9RI[/youtube]

I grew up watching Veggie tales and even had a Veggie tales puzzle!
I like the Larry Boy episodes and I even bought a Larry Boy video game a couple of years ago.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jun 2012, 1:10 pm

Was too old for Veggie Tales, but never got the Christian Vegetable thing. For a Christian, finding out that Vegetables apparently have souls and sentience would make you LESS likely to eat Vegetables rather than more?

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 1:40 pm

I'm not a big fan of it but I remember watching it in church when I went with my friends a few times. I remember the very catchy opening theme song and when I worked at a Seventh Day Adventist Daycare when we watched movies it was often Veggie Tales and we had a little boy with Autism in my class and we had a tomato character from the show that was a bean bag toy and the little boy would use the bean bag toy to stim whenever we had circle time.

Beansie
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Dec 2016, 4:40 pm

So I'm 16, I have high-functioning autism (NOT Aspergers) and I have NEVER SEEN Veggietales. I know, I live under a rock.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Dec 2016, 1:17 am

I never watched the show but I heard a couple songs they did that I like. They were requested pretty often when I DJed for an online radio station.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition