Oscars flub, obvious joke, or a place Asperger's would help?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

BigSnoopy126
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2017, 11:19 am

I don't watch awards shows, though i do like to make jokes about them afterward. Anyway, I heard on the ardio this morning about the oscars and Warren Beatty and someone else reading the wrong card for Best Picture, and I immediately thought, "Oh, they're making a joke based on the Miss Universe" thing last year.

Did anyone else think this? It's a bit obvious, but I can understand them doing this, although I don't know why they would. Especially Hollywood, where it's so loaded with sequels they should hve a category for "Best Film Without Any References To Any Other Film." Of course there might only be 3-4 each year. :)

Then, i read about how the guy was given the wrong card - it was the one for Best Supporting Actress, I think. That, of course, actually lends credence to the idea it was a joke (I mean, sure, they say he looked and acted confused, but he is an actor - it's not like they asked a plumber to read the thing :P ). How do you get handed the wrong card with all the logistics they have to go through?

But, that made me think, then: isn't this a place where it helps to have Asperger's? I don't know about you, but if I'm up there opening an envelope and expecting one thing, I wouldn't just be confused. I would just ignore the lights and all the fanciness around me and go into the task of correcting a problem - to the point where I'd probably turn to the guy who handed me the card, without no thought to the nonverbal cues oraudience expectations and say, "Wait, I got the wrong card. This says Best Actress."

Sure, it would be embarrassing for other people - but not for me. In my mind, I wouldn't be noticing all the other stuff, I'd just be fixing a problem. And then, it would prevent a bigger problem.

Oh, later, I'd have probably made the "blame Steve Harvey" jokes they said they made in the ESPN booth (where they got a best documentary award). Maybe even while I'm waiting for the right card I'd have said, "The winner is Miss Colombia," an even more obvious... is it lampshading?

But, maybe it was just a planned joke, anyway. What do all of you think?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

27 Feb 2017, 3:42 pm

Whole thing was staged for publicity I think

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 4:26 pm

No...it was real. The wrong envelope was given to Warren Beatty.