Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Usagi1992
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 9:41 pm

Hey folks! Gosh, it's been a while since I visited this branch of the forum, so I thought I'd tell you about a movie that I just watched today, and am still a little shaken up about even several hours later.

The film is Japanese, and it's called simply "Jigoku" which means Hell.

It's an intriguing look at a normal man's descent from being on top of the world to his entire world crumbling around him, all because of a hit-and-run incident that sent his life into a downward spiral.

I'll admit that the drama in it was kinda on the kabuki side for the first 2/3rd's of the movie...but the last third....whoa...it just HAS to be seen to be believed! Not because it's kabuki...but because it seriously depicts what Hell is, and what Hell can be to anybody unlucky enough to get there.

Historical note: This was the first ever film to have instances of graphic gore, even though it's not classified as a horror movie. And this was in 1960! (the same year that "Psycho" was released in America)

And just the simple fact that this movie is almost 50 years old, and it STILL gave me a mindf**k...that REALLY says a lot! 8O :twisted:

So, anyone here brave enough to see this movie? :P

Usagi1992

Last edited by Usagi1992 on 18 May 2009, 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 9:46 pm

Is there a version translated available as a torrent? - I can't stand subtitles.

Usagi1992
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 9:57 pm

MattShizzle wrote:
Is there a version translated available as a torrent? - I can't stand subtitles.

Actually, I did get it via torrent. I searched for 'Jigoku 1960' (because Jigoku alone would bring up tons of torrents for "Jigoku Shoujo", or Hell Girl) on Torrentz.com.

And I did find two torrents for it, though I had to admit I thought it wouldn't work, because they had zero seeders, but I tried anyway, and less then 20 hours later, I was watching it!

Good luck! :)

Oh, and unfortunately, that's all it was available as: Japanese with English subs.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 10:28 pm

I will accept your challenge, rabbit. I have a penchant for Japanese Horror/suspense in particular. Thanks for the suggestion!

Usagi1992
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 10:49 pm

ViperaAspis wrote:
I will accept your challenge, rabbit. I have a penchant for Japanese Horror/suspense in particular. Thanks for the suggestion!

You're welcome, Vipera. :)

And if not as a torrent, you can always purchase it legit on DVD: it's part of the elite Criterion Collection.

Remember that name: "Jigoku"...it'll haunt you for a long, long time!

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 12:07 pm

I saw this the other night. It was really weird.