Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

09 May 2009, 9:01 am

ive wanted to get in some anime shows for a while, but im not sure what,
can someone recommend me some shows that are a must see and give brief details to what its sort of about

i enjoy final fantasy type universes and the like

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 11:37 am

All I've watched are Inuyasha and Fullmetal Alchemist. Both are good. Fullmetal Alchemist is pretty violent one. I mean, there's fighting in Inuyasha, but FMA is a lot more... vivid. Here's a couple of samples, the first part of the first episode of each:

FMA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcm4L4_-psc

Inuyasha - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfo4kclydTw

I recommend clicking part 2 on Inuyasha at least... it has a lot more humor and a lot less of beloved characters being slaughtered. FMA is very dramatic, asks a lot of serious questions. Both are good, though, with good voice acting in the English dubs.

Other than that, I just watch kiddie stuff with my kids, Tokyo Pig and Hamtaro.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 11:45 am

"Street Fighter II:V" is very good if you've played the video games some and know the characters. It is pretty normal and non-bizzare compared to a lot of anime.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 11:55 am

let me see if you like the blend of magic and science you might like Full Metal Alchemist, it is based in an alternate dimension where Alchemy which is a bit like magic became the main science instead of physics.

Bleach is another cool one, it is about soul reapers or Shinigami that send lost spirits to the afterlife and fight against demons called hollows, but it mostly involves some realy good sword fights.

Zero no Tsukaima might be considerd bit girly at first glance and look a bit like the anime version of Harry Potter, though the main character gets pretty cool with a sword and at one particular time a vilain very simular to Sepherioth.

I would also recomend Azumanga Daioh, which is a very funny slice of life anime about a bunch of school girls with very interesting traits, and very likable traits.

Hellsing is vampires on steroids, a quite good anime where main character is could easily be a major villain and is quite the cool cat, I would recomend watching the older "anime" series before watching the better "OAV" series. Though be warned one of the bloodiest.

Aswell as many of the anime that Kyoto Animation do, especialy The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which I would say is one of my favirouts, but giving a description would be too much of a spoiler, except watch in original broadcasting order and don't be turnd off by the first ep made especialy to look bad. Though with a few if the other KyoAni anime I would recomend not watching Clannad until watching Kanon(2006) as Clannad as though it is one of the funniest, best anime, I would describe it as probably one of the saddest reducing me to crying quite a bit latter on.

And also I guess a fairly easy watch is the comedy is Hayate no Gotoku, which translates to Hayate the combat butler, which is about the unlucky yet very capable Hayate who ends up working for the lovestruck Nagi to pay off the debt. It is a parody anime, which is filled with references to various things, and breaking of the fourth wall, with characters fighting with the insulting narrarator, complaining about screentime, or even pointing out things that don't make sense like out of place transitions appearing.

I would recomend watching most of these in sub then dub except for maybe Full Metal Alchemist which is alright, or Hellsing which is suposed to be set in England so hearing the english acents is good.

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

10 May 2009, 4:55 am

thanks for the posts i check em all out

Trimalchio
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2009, 2:42 pm

Okay, here goes:

DN Angel - a boy named Daisuke has an alter-ego who is a phantom thief. There's some romance in there too along with the adventure-y stuff, and there's also some regular school stuff. It's got a bit of everything. It even hints at shonen-ai at times. XD

Inuyasha - probably the most creative, complex anime ever. A girl falls down a well into the past, meets a half-demon boy, and together with their little bunch of friends they look for pieces of a jewel to turn the boy into a full demon. Very cool.

Hikaru no Go - This kid gets possessed by the ghost of a dead Go (the board game) player, and starts on his path to being a professional Go player himself. He meets a bunch of buddies along the way, and they're really intense when they play Go. XD

Naruto - you must have heard of it. This kid is a ninja, and he wants to improve. So he does. He also really likes ramen, playing pranks, and he wants to be the ruler of his village.

FLCL - A boy gets hit on the head by a bass guitar by an alien girl, and stuff starts popping out of his head. Despite the obvious weirdness, it's a very deep coming-of-age story.

Gravitation - This guy is a member of a rock band with his best friend. One day, he's walking in the park (as far as I remember), and his lyrics blow away. A man finds them, and tells him they suck. He starts to pursue the man, and they fall in love. It's a shonen-ai series, don't like, don't watch. Nothing much ever happens, though. Very censored. The story also follows the band's rise to fame.

Fullmetal Alchemist - two brothers try to bring their mother back to life using alchemy, but something goes wrong, and one loses his arm and leg, and the other his whole body, so now he's just a suit of armor. They search for the Philosopher's Stone to restore themselves to wholeness.

Ouran High School Host Club - a lower middle class girl goes to a school for extremely rich kids, and stumbles upon a club for rich, hot guys who like to impress girls for fun. She then proceeds to break a really expensive vase, so must pay them back by cross-dressing and becoming one of them.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - A kid named Shinji is recruited to be a pilot of a giant robot so he can fight these things called Angels that are trying to destroy humanity. He meets other kids who are also pilots, and a couple interesting adults too. Just warning you, there's male and female nudity.

Death Note - a high school kid finds a notebook called a Death Note. If you write someone's name in it, they die. With this power, he decides to rid the world of criminals by killing them, but in the process, he becomes a psycho serial killer in the process. There's character deaths, considering the storyline.

I've watched more, but I can't think of them right now. Hopefully that's enough. :)

I think I'm normal....ish...

Angel_Maria
Raven
Raven

18 May 2009, 3:14 am

I am a big anime fan i absolutly love Studio Gibli Films like Spirited Away and Howls Moveing Caslte they good films. Also another good series if you like big machines is Neon Genesis Evangellion very good very action filled too. Also Appleseed is good and Sky blue.

There are many more out therei would suggest to save money rather than buy them and not like them is to either rent them or view the trailer or clip on you tube.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 3:37 am

Why just watch trailers or clips on youtube, many series are entirely on youtube. I watch most of my anime online, and if there is something I like I buy it from store, though most choices at stores, are realy small and can be a bit behind due to most not getting released in english countries before they have an english dub. I would recomend getting a free account on Anime News Network, this can be good on finding a bit about an anime before watching, like how it is rated, what the themes, and any news related to it. I would recomend even going to the genre search area to even put in what type of anime you are looking for, where you might find something that way.

Now you can watch anime on youtube, but youtube often cuts episodes into three and quality can be out. A site I recomend is AniLinkz which has a great selection of anime, though you might come across Partypoker video which can be a bit anoying, though alternatives may be found by a google. Also for some out there if there are some anime songs that you want to get I would recomend getting a free account on Gendou, which has a good amount.

Angel_Maria
Raven
Raven

18 May 2009, 6:45 am

yes or do that lol i did not know that whole shows are available thank you i will look into that could save me a bit of money lol :D

Masuna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2009, 7:10 am

My all time favorite is gundam seed! it rocks! but you have to watch from beggining. story is in order

Johnklok
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2009, 7:44 am

Monster
Devil Lady/Devilman
Ghost in the Shell (the movies)
XXXholic
Berserk
Neon Genesis Evangelion (must watch the alternate ending "movie" after completeing the series)
Case Closed
Shin Chan

Movie recommendations:
Twilight of the Dark Master
Ninja Scroll
A wind named amnesia
Paprika
xxxholic the Movie: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
both Vampire Hunter D movies
Full Metal Alchemist: The Conquerer of Shamballa
....don't really want to think of more for now

typ3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2009, 2:08 am

A few that weren't already mentioned...

Cromartie High School
Absolutely absurd comedy about a municipal high school of badasses. Even though it's about fighting, there actually is nearly no fighting at all; usually the characters get caught up in talking out a problem to the point of absurdity. Hilarious if you're into the style of comedy and unlike any other anime out there. My avatar is actually a side character on it who is the boss of a grade level in a rival school, who frequently gives out well thought out and helpful advice online but is cold and brutish in real life.

Mind Game (movie)
A dizzying and very creative movie about a loser main character who has a crush on this girl, who he meets up with at a bar with her fiance. Some mob guys come in hunting down tax money from the bar keeper and ends up killing the main character. He goes to heaven, and when told to basically make his way down a hallway to end his existence, he decides to transform himself and he is granted a second chance. Heartwarming insanity ensues.

Requiem from the Darkness
A young writer sets out to make a collection of 100 short stories of paranormal and gruesome happenings. He then runs into a mysterious trio that investigates old myths and legends and brings wrongdoers to justice. Very unique atmosphere and artstyle.

Boogiepop Phantom
Each character tells there own connection to the event and to a similar murder spree 5 years ago. All of the different stories are slowly tied together by seemingly minute similarities and the story of Boogiepop is unraveled. Very well written and mysterious anime, with great atmosphere.

Paranoia Agent
An elementary school kid dubbed with the title "shounen bat" or "lil slugger" has been going around attacking people with his bent, golden bat. Now, two detectives are investigating so they can stop this kid from making any more attacks. The motive and source of these attacks become more mysterious as the series goes on. Very much like Boogiepop Phantom, just a little weirder.

MattD
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 May 2009, 8:39 am

How could no one mention Cowboy Bebop :o, it's one of the best shows ever, you must watch it!. Cowboy Bebop Wiki.

It's on TV in australia now but there is not many episode's left. Monday, ABC2, 11.30 PM.

LAEMapsie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2009, 5:51 pm

SOUL Eater is a decent series to look into as well as most that others have mentioned.

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2009, 7:14 am

cheers 4 the info bradleigh!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 4:53 am

Lucky for you, I've been watching a ton of really kick-a*s anime lately. Here's a rundown:

Hellsing - Obligatory for me to recommend this, since it is the anime I love most (fan for 2 1/2 years straight). It's about a secrect organization called Hellsing that hunts vampires. If you watch the OVA version or read the manga, Hellsing eventually bears arms against the Millennium group, a bunch of neo-Nazis who are creating artificial vampires in order to start an endless war. In the TV series, Millennium doesn't exist. Instead, the main character Alucard has to fight a vaguely Nosferatu-esque vampire character named Incognito. Also, the character of Seras gets more screentime and development. In both versions, there is a neutral organization called Iscariot. They fight the bad guys but aren't exactly on Hellsing's side either (especially since Iscariot is Catholic and Hellsing is Protestant).

Trinity Blood - Another vampire-based anime. The human race is in a cold war with the vampire race. The Vatican is the leading power of the human race, and deploys specialized agents to keep peace between the vampires and the humans. However, there is a third group called Rosenkreuz that wants the vampires and humans to kill each other. The main character working for the Vatican is Abel, and the leader of Rosenkreuz is his twin brother Cain. Oh, and they're both super-powered vampires called Crusniks. And then there is a subplot involving a nun named Esther who goes on a journey of self-discovery.

Saiyuki - From what I understand, it's supposed to be an extremely loose adaptation of the Chinese novel "Journey to the West". Anyway, it's a (mostly) comedic anime involving a rogue Buddhist monk and his three demon friends who are sent on a journey to stop the demon king from being resurrected. The impending resurrection of the demon king is causing most of the demons of the world to go crazy and start attacking humans. (except for the monk's friend because they wear "power limiters").

Weiss Kreuz - Also known as "Knight Hunters" in the US. A more dramatic anime about four assassins who work in a flower shop. They're all gorgeous guys to boot! During the series, various parts of the assassins' backstories and motivations for becoming assassins are revealed.

Air Master - An underappreciated anime about a 6 foot tall, red-headed high school girl named Maki Aikawa who does a lot of street fighting using incredible, gravity-defying moves. Has elements of lesbianism in it (Maki's friend Mina is in love with her), so pass on this if you can't handle that sort of thing.

More anime to come! Too tired to type more atm...