Guilty Pleasures: Movie You're Ashamed to Admit You Like

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

The Gift
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2015, 10:22 pm

Let's face it, we all have opinions, and depending on the movie, those opinions may vary. There are your all-time classics, your irredeemable abominations, and your so-bad-they're-good laugh riots (think The Room). There's another category I sometimes include when discussing films: movies that are shunned and/or hated by critics and/or audiences, but nonetheless attract followers who enjoy them when no one else is looking. These are the guilty pleasures.

For me, it's Michael Bay's Bad Boys movies. It's become hip to hate on Michael Bay. Yes, he loves explosions. Yes, the women in his films are objects. Yes, he's more flash than substance. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed Bad Boys and Bad Boys II, because that's basically Bay in his element.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 12:35 am

Guilty?

I loved Dracula 2000.

I thought Alien vs. Predator was the third best Alien film.

I thought Punisher: War Zone was a minor masterpiece.

People laugh and berate, but f*ck 'em. No shame on my end.

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2015, 12:40 am

A few years back, I saw Children of the Corn (1984) and for awhile it was my favorite movie. I watched it at least a dozen times. I've no idea why I liked it so much, but I did and people found it a tad bit weird. I think it'd fall under guilty pleasure haha...

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 12:59 am

I've seen the Hammer film Lust For A Vampire (1971) a few times, so I must enjoy it for some reason or other. Under the guidance of a stand-in director (Jimmy Sangster), it's generally regarded as one of the studio's worst offerings.

Highlights include the performance of its female lead, Danish model Yutte Stensgaard, whose prior claim to fame was being a hostess on the naff British game show The Golden Shot. Also the inclusion of a song, Strange Love, by "Trudi", halfway through the film, a la Play Misty For Me. Then there's the fact that virtually the whole camera crew is momentarily visible in one scene near the end.

Awesome! :D

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 1:04 am

DeepHour wrote:
I've seen the Hammer film Lust For A Vampire (1971) a few times, so I must enjoy it for some reason or other. Under the guidance of a stand-in director (Jimmy Sangster), it's generally regarded as one of the studio's worst offerings.

Highlights include the performance of its female lead, Danish model Yutte Stensgaard, whose prior claim to fame was being a hostess on the naff British game show The Golden Shot. Also the inclusion of a song, Strange Love, by "Trudi", halfway through the film, a la Play Misty For Me. Then there's the fact that virtually the whole camera crew is momentarily visible in one scene near the end.

Awesome! :D

I haven't seen that one yet, though I know it doesn't have the best of reputations. I did pick up the first and third parts of the trilogy (The Vampire Lovers and Twins of Evil) back when they were released on Blu-ray, but the second one is still MIA for some reason, except for an overpriced old DVD.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 1:20 am

Jory wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

I haven't seen that one yet, though I know it doesn't have the best of reputations. I did pick up the first and third parts of the trilogy (The Vampire Lovers and Twins of Evil) back when they were released on Blu-ray, but the second one is still MIA for some reason, except for an overpriced old DVD.

Twins of Evil is generally regarded as the best of the trilogy. It does include in its cast The Chanter Sisters - it's a good job they weren't induced to perform this number in the film:

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 7:26 am

"Mean Girls" - I LOVE Psychology----I often look for the Psychology, behind MOST things----and this movie is an excellent representation of seeing into the minds, of teens.

Silas 112
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2015, 6:36 pm

Jory wrote:
Guilty?

I loved Dracula 2000.

I thought Alien vs. Predator was the third best Alien film.

I thought Punisher: War Zone was a minor masterpiece.

People laugh and berate, but f*ck 'em. No shame on my end.

Hold on, you have Aspergers AND you love Punisher: War Zone? Are you my long lost twin?

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 12:48 pm

Mine is Super Mario Brothers (1993). I have watched it many times and can't see anything wrong with it. But most people hated it and even Bob Hoskins said it's one of his major embarrassments.

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2015, 5:49 pm

I like Mean Girls! Does that count?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 8:13 pm

The Bourne Legacy

Thor: The Dark World

Life Of Pi

Gravity

The Conjuring

Inherent Vice

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 12:11 am

Dude, Where's my Car?

I must have watched that movie at least 50 times. Such a classic. :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 1:34 am

I used to really like The English Patient, which I was hesitant to admit, because it's essentially a chick flick. I admit, that movie had really moved me... That is, till I learned how the story the movie told was almost all fiction, based on a few real life people. Ray Feines' (spelling) character in fact had been a Nazi collaborator from the start, and he had never been disfigured in a flaming plane crash - he hadn't even been slightly burned, or in a plane crash!

agoodname
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Mar 2015, 11:42 pm

Hmmmm........

The first Transformers movie. Only the first one though, the movies got repetitive then after. I find it funny.
The Twilight Saga. I loved it when I was a teen, then I hated it, now I watch it and I laugh at it and feel embarrassed by how obsessed I used to be of it. I think they are bad but they are entertainingly bad.
The Godzilla movies :D Well I wouldn't say I'm ashamed of liking but more ashamed of how much I know about them, and I haven't even seen all of them yet.
I really like goofy horror movies also.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 12:27 pm

The Princess Bride.
SuperTroopers.
Legends of the Fall.
The Freshman.
Revenge of the Nerds.
The Butterfly Effect.
Mars Attacks.

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2015, 12:37 pm

Okay, this one is a true guilty pleasure.

Bring It On: In It to Win It

I was obsessed with this movie when I was in fifth and sixth grade. I've probably seen it nearly three dozen times (not recently) and would beg my friends to watch it whenever we had sleepovers. My friends at the time grew to hate it because of that.