Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 6:43 am

This is a biopic about the Alexandrian philosopher Hypatia who was stoned to death then skinned by Christians who accused her of witchcraft. Some witch. She proved theorems for a living and taught logic at the Library of Alexandria which the Christians ravaged and burned.

The ring leader of the Christian butchery was Cyrill (later St. Cyrill, inventor of the Russian alphabet).

The movie was a depiction of religious fanaticism, hatred, prejudice. The Christians were depicted as being no better than the current crop of Muslim fanatics.

The movie is only available on disk. I downloaded a 24 hour rental from Amazon for under $4.00.

ruveyn

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 7:11 am

I'd like to see that. I remember reading her skin was scraped off with sea shells while she was still alive. It fascinates me to wonder what was lost at the library of Alexandria.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2010, 5:56 am

Aimless wrote:
I'd like to see that. I remember reading her skin was scraped off with sea shells while she was still alive. It fascinates me to wonder what was lost at the library of Alexandria.

Lost in this regard means destroyed beyond restoration. We shall never know what was lost. To know we would need a backward travelling time machine and that is physically not possible.

ruveyn