Best Representation of Asperger's/Autism on film

Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

deconstruction
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 11:50 am

I have ambiguous feelings about the Mozart and the Whale.

I liked the characters (especially the male one), but as a movie... It wasn't a particularly good movie. Like they weren't sure if they were making a social drama or a romantic comedy, so they got confused in the process. Some parts felt too rushed.

But I loved the characters. I'm a girl but I can see myself in Josh Hartnett's character. It's scary how much I'm similar to him. I can definitely relate.

Adam was good, but it had the same problems- good characters, but as a movie, it's not perfect. Some things were rushed and it felt like it was 20 minutes short.

Snow Cake is an excellent movie. But I couldn't relate to the character.

half2focus
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Mar 2012, 4:19 pm

Conspiracy Theory?

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:42 pm

OK, it's pretty obvious...

"Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close"

It was pretty realistic. It wasn't that... cliché. Because it was a bit more reflective than just observing. I haven't read the book though.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

aphasian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Apr 2012, 9:40 pm

Its a documentary but "Billy the kid" is really good.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 12:37 am

Ben X. I think it's a Dutch or Swedish film. Anyway, it's hard for me to watch because the main character gets bullied in high school - and it's like I'm being bullied all over again. It does make you wonder - how many Aspies commit suicide just to 'get away from it all?'

evil_expresso
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2012, 3:30 am

Just watched "Adam" online. First off, it's a great snapshot of the most difficult situations a (not so mild) Aspie has to face. It's also a sweet love story, so don't expect it to be straight up facts.

FallowHarrow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jul 2013, 9:25 pm

I know not at all a conventional answer but.. X-men aaand spiderman played by Tobey Maguire

also i think probably about a boy, as well as the obvious mozart and the whale etc.

L from deathnote was pretty awesome too, the anime searies not the film

an although a t.v. searies not a film, the big bang theory

FallowHarrow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jul 2013, 9:34 pm

oh, hiccup from how to train your dragon (the animated film)

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 4:20 am

I've just seen Mozart And The Whale and Snow Cake and I've read about Adam and Punch-Drunk Love. The one thing I can't stand is, why do these movies all have to be about love, relationships, sex and all that sort of rubbish?

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2014, 5:48 pm

teelea wrote:
Am I alone in finding it fascinating that Hugh Dancy (Adam) and Claire Danes (Temple Grandin) are married in real life?

I know, I still can't get over it.

I liked Adam (2009) as far representation goes. I feel like there are more series than movies that have good representations. Some great ones are Community (Abed), The Bridge (Sonya), and Hannibal (Will). Also, Will is played by...HUGH DANCY!

Does anyone else think Rain Man was just awful for autistics. I mean, it was a good movie and all, but now, when people think autism, they think only Rain Man.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2014, 6:20 pm

Sonya from "The Bridge" and Adam are the ones that i like the most.

brackets
Raven
Raven

22 Jul 2014, 7:05 pm

I don't know if "on film" only means "movies" or if TV counts too, but Abed from Community is probably my favourite depiction. I liked Adam a decent amount, but I find it really hard to watch anything where a character has a meltdown like he does at one point? Sympathy working overtime, probably. And shouting hurts my ears, lol.

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2014, 7:06 pm

Adam by far, imo

AQ: 46

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 8:42 pm

It's been said before but I'll throw in another vote for Snow Cake. Great cast and story.

I also want to see Fly Away. Ashley Rickards the girl who plays Mandy is a member of Mensa. Talented and brainy! :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlFRcmdu3-Y[/youtube]

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2014, 6:05 am

"Empty rooms". It's not about autism, it's a horror movie. The son of the protagonist has classic autism and communicates by using the pictograms you can see in this trailer
0:48-0:50
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5bTkhCECek[/youtube]

I really liked how it wasn't about autism at all. I like it when movies featuring aspie and autist characters aren't about Asperger's or autism, but about people who happen to have it, (even though his communication problems did support the plot, making it impossible for him to explain the problem and also resulting in a misunderstanding).
I hate it when a character is added because they need someone who isn't really part of it, but needed for their savant skill. Thankfully there was no savant skills here.
I think Jonah came off as realistic.

The only other movies I have seen with this topic are "Ben X" (which sucked IMO) and "Mozart and the Whale" (which was better but not all that good).

Then there's "Autism: The Musical", which isn't a movie but a sort of documentary. I liked it, especially how both the families and the children were part of it, we saw them all.

Other movies I've heard of but not seen are: "Snow cake", "Max and Mary", "The boy who could fly" and "After Thomas". No idea what they're like, but they may be worth checking out.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765