goblet of fire discussion [DO NOT ENTER UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

mattbits
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2005, 9:40 pm

harry potter and the goblet of fire was pretty neat i have to admit but there were some scens that grossed me out though. outof ten stars i give it 8 and a half

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 2:52 am

saw it a bit ago, quite enjoyed it, it's probably the best movie so far, I've never read the books. I quite enjoyed the ball scenes and the lead up to the ball itself. A good combination of humour and dark stuff.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 4:40 pm

I saw it at midnight when it first came out, then I saw it the next night. It was the best so far. Dumbledore was a bit off, but everyone else was fantastic, so it made up for Dumbledore. I hope that the Order of the Phoenix will be even better.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 5:12 pm

This one was a bit of a letdown for me. It was a pretty good movie in its own right, but as a fan of the book, I was disappointed. Even disregarding the specific elements they left out (and there were a lot of those), I think that in general there was just way too much focus on the tournament, and not enough on, well, everything else happening at Hogwarts. This movie just didn't give you a good idea of what the atmosphere was like there. Also, I don't feel like there was much character development for any of the characters other than Harry, and the dialogue was lacking. Furthermore, the movie just felt choppy and moved way too fast. Would it have killed them to make it a little longer?

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2005, 7:32 pm

When I posted earlier, I was in a hurry, so I didn't have enough time to write all of my opinions about it. I just remembered that I wrote what I thought about it on my blog. I'll just copy what I said there and put it here.

My thoughts:

I thought that all the scenes were excellent except for one. First of all, Michael Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore was really disappointing. After Harry's name came out of the Goblet, he was extremely angry and abusive toward Harry. That was completely out of character, and it made me dislike Dumbledore. I don't know whether this was the fault of director Mike Newell or Gambon, but that is my only real criticism of the movie. Now let the gushing begin...

Daniel Radcliffe's acting has improved a great deal. In the first few scenes, he was still pretty flat and wooden, but later on he appeared more comfortable. He did particularly well in the maze scene, the graveyard scene, and when Harry brought Cedric Diggory's body back.

Over all, Emma Watson did a wonderful job. Some bits seemed a tad overdramatic on her part, but other than that she was brilliant. Hermione's banter was particularly well done. Rupert Grint also did a terrific job. He was funnier in this one without having to make so many goofy faces. The scene where Ron gets his dress robes was so funny. I also loved their bit together after the Yule Ball. Emma Watson delivered the 'Next time there's a ball, ask me before someone else does...' line perfectly.

One thing that really stands out in my mind about this movie in comparison to the others, is its use of more minor characters. The other movies were all about Harry, Ron, and Hermione, but this one highlighted the roles of more peripheral characters. In this one we get to see more of the Weasley twins, Ginny Weasley, and Neville Longbottom, which is great.

The new actors were good too. I liked Brendan Gleeson as Mad-Eye Moody. Clémence Poésy as Fleur Delacour and Stanislav Ianevski as Viktor Krum were both good, though they didn't really have major roles. I really liked Katie Leung as Cho Chang. Robert Pattinson was great as Cedric Diggory. Cedric in the books didn't really do much for me, but Pattinson's portrayal has really made me re-think Cedric, and now I really like him. Also Robert Pattinson is gorgeous!

I can't decide what my favourite scenes are. I think it is probably the Yule Ball (and related scenes) and as soon as Harry brings Cedric's body back. The Yule Ball itself was so beautiful to look at, and both the students learning to dance and finding dates were hilarious. I also loved Ron and Hermione's fight. It was perfect. The scene where Harry brings Cedric's body back was so emotionally powerful that I found myself in a sort of shock and sadness (even the second time I saw it).

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2005, 3:15 pm

I thought it was better than the Prisoner of Azkaban but not as good as the Chamber of Secrets.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2005, 3:20 pm

mikibacsi1124 wrote:
This one was a bit of a letdown for me. It was a pretty good movie in its own right, but as a fan of the book, I was disappointed. Even disregarding the specific elements they left out (and there were a lot of those), I think that in general there was just way too much focus on the tournament, and not enough on, well, everything else happening at Hogwarts. This movie just didn't give you a good idea of what the atmosphere was like there. Also, I don't feel like there was much character development for any of the characters other than Harry, and the dialogue was lacking. Furthermore, the movie just felt choppy and moved way too fast. Would it have killed them to make it a little longer?

Ditto, plus how could they not have S.P.E.W (or whatever it was called) in it, or the return of Dobby, I wonder what the next movie will be like as I think OotP will be the hardest one to do.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2005, 5:29 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
mikibacsi1124 wrote:

Ditto, plus how could they not have S.P.E.W (or whatever it was called) in it, or the return of Dobby, I wonder what the next movie will be like as I think OotP will be the hardest one to do.

oh yeah! i forgot about S.P.E.W.! I miss dobby too. also wasn't there that guy who did the triwizard tournament that was described as being like a little kid? i forget his name lol. but yeah this one was really good and i can't wait for the next one!

ooh yeah though... myrtle freaked me out... sketchy haha. it was so funny though!

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2005, 5:41 pm

iamlucille wrote:
ooh yeah though... myrtle freaked me out... sketchy haha. it was so funny though!

The Myrtle scene was a little wrong though she wasnt purposely trying to see him naked in that scene just trying to flirt with him. And I dont remember anyone little in the triwizard tournament considering it was only those 4, oh also I think they over dramatised the first event a little too much. Still the next ones going to be much more condensed I think (HBP should be good though.)

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 9:20 am

This was undoubtably the best movie I have seen for a while. It was very funny, espesly when Myrtle was in the tub with Harry. And I'm buying Emma's (Herminoe) Yule Ball Gown for Adrianne.

BelaLugosi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Aug 2006, 3:45 pm

I hated it! The first two were good, but I hate 3+4. The maze was all wrong! The dragon was seriously overplayed! Voldemort looked like an alien(though I'm glad they had the sense to make him bald)! Moody was all wrong! They made us belive Krum was stupid! They can't help the Dumbledoor situation, so I'll let them go on that. Cho might as well not have been in the movie at all! I could go on for hours. :x

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2006, 4:25 pm

The movie was okay, i still like the first two movies better, but like I say I still believe that the books are way better. See, my feeling is that the books are great, the movies are good and entertaining to watch but no movie can beat the original story itself. Now, on GOF (goblet of fire) I agree with some of you that the movie spent way too much time on the triwizard tournament and not enough on the rest of the important things. Anyways, my suggestion to you before the next movie is that if any of you are planning on reading OotP (order of the phoenix) before the movie comes out, don't read it right before. Because otherwise, you probably won't enjoy the movie because your mind will be stuck on the book itself and the movie will probably be a little different, like we saw with GOF. I hated Book 5 so i am curious as to see what the movie will do.

jstrewth
Toucan
Toucan

26 Aug 2006, 6:13 pm

Saw it twice in theaters; the first time on opening day at midnight, the second time in IMAX. I agree that they cut most of the stuff from the book, but my sister says she likes the movies not because of whether they are faithful to the books, but rather just because they're fun. I agree with her and say that Goblet of Fire is the best one so far.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 7:44 pm

Wasn't nearly as good as the third IMO--it was a throwback to the first two in terms of just being way more generic, pedestrian, etc. I didn't find it to be visually as interesting for the most part (in Prisoner of Azkaban, I thought practically every shot was gorgeous; in GoF, the only real eye candy for me were the first two trials and some parts of Voldemort's resurrection), which is a major draw against it for me because eye candy is one of the main reasons why I watch a movie like "Harry Potter." Also, they had to simplify the plot--understandable and necessary, but the result was that the plot lost much of what made it interesting in its novel form. I also just had a lot of little nitpicks, like the veela not being hot enough (and not even doing that "hair thing" described in the books...) or Voldemort being "too human" (his voice wasn't creepy enough....) or certain scenes being too long and dragging down the pace or the way they made Moody's villainy way too obvious (with that silly twitch) or other such things. Little details add up after a while. That said, I still enjoyed it, I just really disagree with people about it being the "best."