Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 12:58 pm

One of the headlines today was "Bug Hall, known as Alfalfa in 'Little Rascals,' arrested after allegedly inhaling air duster"

I thought to myself, what is going on! Alfalfa in the series called the Little Rascals has to be older than me. I am 71. He became an adult when I was just a child. He must be in his 80s or 90s by now if he is still alive. Why would someone that old be inhaling an air duster? Has senility set in?

According to Wikipedia: Our Gang (also known as The Little Rascals or Hal Roach's Rascals) is an American series of comedy short films chronicling a group of poor neighborhood children and their adventures. Created by comedy producer and studio executive Hal Roach, the series was produced in various forms from 1922 to 1944 and is noted for showing children behaving in a relatively natural way. Roach and original director Robert F. McGowan worked to film the unaffected, raw nuances apparent in regular children rather than have them imitate adult acting styles. The series broke new ground by portraying white and black children interacting as equals.

Alfalfa is the one on the upper left. His hair is uncooperative and in the middle of his head the hair has a form similar to a horn. It was one of the best TV series ever and watching it provided me great joy while I was growing up.

The news article identified Bug Hall as Alfalfa in 'Little Rascals,' and listed his age as 35. So right off the bat, I realized he was an imposter. Someone posing as Alfalfa. He couldn't be the real deal.

But then I remember Hollywood created a movie version of the television series. As I recall, the movie wasn't that good. It didn't capture the essence of "Our Gang". So Bug Hall played the Alfalfa in that film.

The local police department received calls from individuals who reported "someone by the dumpster huffing." Police records show that Hall was placed under arrest for possession for use to inhale or ingest a volatile chemical. Hall was transported to a local county jail and held on a $1,500 surety bond. So now Alfalfa looks like this:

Hall if you are reading this - shame on you - you are suppose to be a model for our young children. Is this the kind of model you wish to portray?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 2:28 pm

jimmy m wrote:
... I thought to myself, what is going on! Alfalfa in the series called the Little Rascals has to be older than me. I am 71. He became an adult when I was just a child. He must be in his 80s or 90s by now if he is still alive. Why would someone that old be inhaling an air duster? Has senility set in? ... The news article identified Bug Hall as Alfalfa in 'Little Rascals,' and listed his age as 35. So right off the bat, I realized he was an imposter. Someone posing as Alfalfa. He couldn't be the real deal. But then I remember Hollywood created a movie version of the television series. As I recall, the movie wasn't that good. It didn't capture the essence of "Our Gang". So Bug Hall played the Alfalfa in that film...
The film was made in 1994
jimmy m wrote:
Hall if you are reading this - shame on you - you are suppose to be a model for our young children. Is this the kind of model you wish to portray?
That's a crock of rancid duck-butter.  Who appointed him as "Role-Model", you?  Forget it.  The idea that Hollywood types "should" be role-models likely originated with some puritan church-ladies getting incensed by Rudolph Valentino unbuttoning his shirt.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 23 Jun 2020, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 3:57 pm

I remember Little Rascals and it was a lovely show to watch.

It was old and outdated when I was a child but I still enjoyed it more than most the modern kids series around.

Wish it was available again instead of some of the reruns being shown at present.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 4:02 pm

The guy who played Alfalfa died in 1959. His name was Carl Switzer. He would be 92 years of age were he alive today.

This is, 100%, a hoax or a joke.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 4:06 pm

There was a movie made in 1994 Kraftie.

It wasn't anywhere like the original series.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 4:10 pm

Oh....all right :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 5:04 pm

Dont blame Krafty and Jimmy for being thrown off.

The original Hal Roach series is far better known than that obscure Hollywood non-blockbuster remake in the Nineties.

Its kinda like that headline I read in the local paper "German Sub to be on display in Arlington". Maybe its just me, but I assumed that it must be one of Hitler's infamous Uboats that had terrorized the North Atlantic during WWII. But you had to read several paragraphs into the story to find out that it was a 1960s submarine of the post war West German navy (that had never hurt a fly) that was sent over to dock at American ports for some reason- a good will tour or something. Would have been a cool thing to take a tour of too, but you would think the newspaper writers would have been upfront about stating that it wasnt one of the well known Nazi subs.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 7:11 pm

Sensationalism eh? :roll:

blech
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2020, 8:28 pm

He's in jail because of that??

I'm missing something. Was he a threat to society? Who else was harmed while he was inhaling air duster other than himself?

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jun 2020, 12:34 pm

Maybe he was being a public disturbance while high on the inhalant.

I just don't see why he couldn't wait until he was in the safety and comfort of his own home.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 8:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The guy who played Alfalfa died in 1959. His name was Carl Switzer. He would be 92 years of age were he alive today.

This is, 100%, a hoax or a joke.

Actually, the original Alfalfa is long dead, as he had been shot to death in a dispute over the purchase of a dog.
But the guy arrested for huffing is actually Alfalfa (of a sorts). He played the character in the eighties (I believe) in a Little Rascals film that almost no one remembers.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 8:18 pm

When I saw this I immediately thought you meant the dude from the Little Rascals movie, as I didn't realize there was a show... But, I don't believe someone who was in a movie decades ago is necessarily a "role model" for children. I really doubt kids know what that movie or the show are, nor know the actors from it and are watching their every move.