Page 84 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 93  Next

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 9:46 pm

k-ON had a negative reputation at first, from people thinking it was just using moe as a crutch, like people thought it was ruining anime. But later opinions of anime have been very positive. As people realized that the director had not merely adapted source material, but improved on it, and did itself well, a generally fun show. You probably could guess what it is about more from the OP, as being about a high school light music club.

The show also has its fair share of good music, spread over its two seasons, and movie.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 9:50 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
k-ON had a negative reputation at first, from people thinking it was just using moe as a crutch, like people thought it was ruining anime. But later opinions of anime have been very positive. As people realized that the director had not merely adapted source material, but improved on it, and did itself well, a generally fun show. You probably could guess what it is about more from the OP, as being about a high school light music club.

The show also has its fair share of good music, spread over its two seasons, and movie.

Yeah I figured it was about a high school girl band. The music sounds really cool maybe I'll check it out one day.

I just hope it doesn't have any weird pedophile characters hanging around the high school girls like the male teacher in Azumanga Daioh. That kind of crap is one of the reasons why I don't like most Japanese animation. :|

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2018, 7:27 am

Another villain song I liked from Mermaid Melody.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2018, 7:52 am

I just recently started watching anime. I still prefer non-anime but it's good. I have a close friend also on the autism spectrum who is obsessed with anime and I have met a few other people who watch anime as well so since I keep meeting people who watch it I decided to give it a go after having been totally against it before.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2018, 8:02 am

superaliengirl wrote:
I just recently started watching anime. I still prefer non-anime but it's good. I have a close friend also on the autism spectrum who is obsessed with anime and I have met a few other people who watch anime as well so since I keep meeting people who watch it I decided to give it a go after having been totally against it before.

I still don't like most anime but some isn't so bad.

sleepyestes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2018, 9:35 am

TW1ZTY wrote:

To be fair, there is no form of popular media on Earth that isn't mostly detritus for people who just want familiar tropes repeated at them ad infinitum as a comforting escape from the late-capitalist hellscape dystopia that exists out the window

Ahem.

I watched the first couple eps of Devilman Crybaby and it's bad ass. The gratuitous sex and violence reminds me of 90s anime in a good way. The scenes with Akira in school post-transformation cracked me up.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2018, 3:11 pm

sleepyestes wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

To be fair, there is no form of popular media on Earth that isn't mostly detritus for people who just want familiar tropes repeated at them ad infinitum as a comforting escape from the late-capitalist hellscape dystopia that exists out the window

Sturgeon's Law

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2018, 4:22 pm

How can something this cute be evil? 8O

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2018, 6:12 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:

Sometimes the cutest thing can be the most evil, and terrifying.

I am really fond of this particular theme, because it goes through a sort of feeling of uneasiness, while starting to peel away at the freakiness that is Harime Nui.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2018, 6:17 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

Sometimes the cutest thing can be the most evil, and terrifying.

I am really fond of this particular theme, because it goes through a sort of feeling of uneasiness, while starting to peel away at the freakiness that is Harime Nui.

I think there's actually a Japanese word for it but I forget what it is. It's when a girl or woman pretends to be cute, naive, and ditzy all the time and speaks in a silly childish voice to kind of hide the fact that she's very clever and evil.

Kind of like Yuri, the youngest of the Kinugawa Sisters in the game Way of the Samurai 4. She's a prime example of that Japanese archetype. :)

Edit: Where I live it's just called being "country sneaky" lol. :lol:

sleepyestes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2018, 6:42 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:

This plus the fact that the most popular examples of any genre or format or w/e are usually going to be terrible (or at least not great) because of the aforementioned. Finding good examples of anything you aren't familiar with if you're looking to expand your tastes is difficult even with the internet

Kill La Kill had some really good songs and themes (DON'T LOSE YOUR WAYYYY), but god damn did they screw that one up after the first maybe 1/3 of the show. IIRC ArcSys are making a game which is completely inexplicable given that the anime stopped airing over four years ago

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2018, 9:35 pm

More Evil Cuteness. :mrgreen:

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2018, 11:08 pm

Had to do some digging to find the right evil cuteness to continue.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2018, 2:47 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Had to do some digging to find the right evil cuteness to continue.

Now THAT is some evil cuteness! You have humbled me good sir. :mrgreen:

In Sailor Moon the two "cutest" villains were Mimet and Sailior Iron Mouse.

Mimet was especially nasty. She ripped the brakes out of Eudial's car and caused her to crash off a cliff and die just so she could take over her job as leader of the Witches 5. 8O

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2018, 2:09 pm

Interviews With Monster Girls is really good. It reminds me of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid in how it blends its wholesomeness with a few racy bits, but nothing overwhelming.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2018, 2:21 pm

Nekomonster wrote:
Interviews With Monster Girls is really good. It reminds me of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid in how it blends its wholesomeness with a few racy bits, but nothing overwhelming.

Except for Lucoa. She never got her boy.