Page 4 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 93  Next

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2013, 10:18 pm

Jope you like Day Beak Illusion fits your taste, some people have had complaints that it tries too hard to be dark, or to be Madoka like. On the upside to me it does not have confusing geometry that plagued even the normal environments in PMMM.

IdahoRose wrote:
On an unrelated note, is anybody else watching Dangan Ronpa? I have heard people throw the name around a bit so I decided to check it out. I've only seen the first episode (out of the few that have been released) and I thought it was pretty decent. I can't wait until the real drama kicks in. I just hope my favorite character doesn't die too early on.

So who is your favourite character? :twisted:
I saw the first two episodes, and I am not entirely sold on it, I guess the characters remind me a little of why Medaka Box first did not go too well with me as the characters feel too cartoony, that they are just random characters from different genre. I am willing to try and go for the ride, even though I don't like those sort of killing game shows (Hunger Games made me feel sick), there is some novelty with Monobear, so who knows.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 1:08 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Jope you like Day Beak Illusion fits your taste, some people have had complaints that it tries too hard to be dark, or to be Madoka like. On the upside to me it does not have confusing geometry that plagued even the normal environments in PMMM.

IdahoRose wrote:
On an unrelated note, is anybody else watching Dangan Ronpa? I have heard people throw the name around a bit so I decided to check it out. I've only seen the first episode (out of the few that have been released) and I thought it was pretty decent. I can't wait until the real drama kicks in. I just hope my favorite character doesn't die too early on.

So who is your favourite character? :twisted:
I saw the first two episodes, and I am not entirely sold on it, I guess the characters remind me a little of why Medaka Box first did not go too well with me as the characters feel too cartoony, that they are just random characters from different genre. I am willing to try and go for the ride, even though I don't like those sort of killing game shows (Hunger Games made me feel sick), there is some novelty with Monobear, so who knows.

I just watched the first episode of Day Break Illusion. For some reason even though it got dark really quickly, it didn't disturb me or creep me out the way Madoka did. Maybe that's what people mean when they say it tries too hard to be dark. In my opinion, even though DBI is a dark show about magical girls, I got more of a "Cardcaptors meets Black Rock Shooter" vibe from it rather than a "Madoka" vibe from it. So while I agree that it may be trying a little too hard to be dark, it doesn't feel like it's copying Madoka to me.

But when all is said and done, I feel that it's too early to form an opinion on how much I like or dislike it. I did find it interesting and I plan on following it to see how it develops. I feel the same way about Dangan Ronpa. Speaking of which, my favorite character from that anime is Celestia Ludenberg. I have a tendency to be drawn to "cartoony" characters, which could be why I found the Dangan Ronpa characters to be likable. I think that's why I'm sticking with the show even though I didn't really care for The Hunger Games - because I tend to watch themes and genres I wouldn't normally enjoy as long as the characters are "cartoony" enough to keep me interested. A prime example is that I am a fan of the Ace Attorney video games even though I normally can't stand legal shows like CSI and Law & Order, all because the characters in AA are extremely cartoony, in both their designs and personalities.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 2:59 am

I would agree with you on the sentiment of crime shows and Ace Attorney, I normally can't stand crime shows either as I got really bored with them, yet Ace Attorney characters make it more interesting. Even if my first involvement in it was through watching an abridged series.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2013, 1:45 am

Just watched an amazing short film drama by the name of Garden of Words by Makoto Shinkai (recently dubbed by Sentai Filmworks). Anyone who doubts anime can't be more than fan-service, superpowers and merchandise-driven fodder should watch it. The animation and art are truly fantastic and is an exemplar of why I love animation and story-telling. And I bought the ED as an mp3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCEoSxgKJJc See it for yourself and what you think.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 6:57 pm

Anyone watching The Eccentric Family? It's a slice of life show about a family of shapeshifting tanuki living in Kyoto. They do live under the danger of ending as tanuki stew.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 8:39 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Anyone watching The Eccentric Family? It's a slice of life show about a family of shapeshifting tanuki living in Kyoto. They do live under the danger of ending as tanuki stew.

I have been watching it, and it has been rather interesting. I do fear though as people keep likening it to Tatami Galaxy, which I hated.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2013, 1:28 am

Thanks very much for the Eccentric Family recommendation - it's certainly a very interesting project; I don't know why it escaped my usual sources of information regarding new anime... but glad I'm watching it now, almost reminiscent of Pom Poko and to a lesser extent, Kekkashi and Nurarihyon no Mago.

dragonzatch
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2013, 1:16 pm

Me! :D

My favorite series are Sgt. Frog, Comic Party, Oh! Edo Rocket, Serial Experiments Lain, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 5:18 pm

dragonzatch wrote:
Serial Experiments Lain, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Pretty deep shows for a 11 years old.

TheZachadoodle
Raven
Raven

06 Aug 2013, 11:39 pm

Yes and getting back to it. Sad thing is that Netflix doesn't show the good anime...

Sciuridae
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 11:36 pm

IdahoRose wrote:

The game is a much better rendition of the story, in my opinion, because it is less rushed. As a person whose favorite character dies fairly early, I can say that I still enjoyed the later chapters.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2013, 2:40 am

The problem with game-to-anime adaptations is that there isn't the luxury to do anything other than the most important points of the plot (money, time, whether it can be adapted for TV), and unless the game has an amazing amount of characterisation, then the anime doesn't really do the game justice if you're a said fan of the game.

That said, I'm not saying specifically that Danpan is a terrible adaptation for people unfamiliar with the game (unlike say, the Shin Megami animations, The Tales of OAVs or the recent Amnesia adaptation - why Sentai Filmworks dubbed it, I don't know) - it's doing its job of getting people interested and it's getting good reviews. I guess really it depends on what the content is and how well they're interpreting it - I had no idea, for example, that Steins;Gate was based on a Japan-only visual novel game, but it brilliantly stood up on its own merits as an anime series (at least, in my opinion).

That's just my two cents anyway. And at the moment, I'm still enjoying Silver Spoon and Uchouten Kazoku (My Eccentric Family). And just started Mujin Wakusei Survive (Uninhabited Planet Survive) - despite it being an oldie from a decade ago, there's a sweet old-school charm about it, a bit like Dennou Coil (Children of the Coil).

Oh, my thanks go out to whoever mentioned Jyu-Oh-Sei earlier on - it's rather brilliant as an abridged novella. :)

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 3:08 am

Danpan has been bad, as I posted in another site, the recent episode failed incredibly because most of the clues turned out to be red herrings that made almost no sense, and all the real clues either came out of nowhere (being left out), or just seemed stupid. The reasons to trust obvious sociopath was stupid.

I wonder if any of you are watching Stella C3 Bu? I was a fan of Girls un Panzer, and the similar military themes have been fun. And some great character development that I don't see happen very often to this extent.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 3:36 pm

I have Watched the first 3 episodes of Stella C3 Bu. I am enjoying it though the slice of life aspects similar to Nichijou don't seem to be there yet.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Aug 2013, 5:19 pm

Jyu-Oh-Sei is one of my favorites. I also love the old and new Fullmetal Alchemist shows, Hetalia, Chobits, and a few others I can't seem to think of.

Sciuridae
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 9:31 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Danpan has been bad, as I posted in another site, the recent episode failed incredibly because most of the clues turned out to be red herrings that made almost no sense, and all the real clues either came out of nowhere (being left out), or just seemed stupid. The reasons to trust obvious sociopath was stupid.

This.

In the visual novel version of Dangan Ronpa, all of the mysteries that came up could be solved reasonably by the player, as is necessary for the genre. In the anime, they present confusing non-evidence to throw people off the track. I'm not saying that the cases in the VN were perfect, but they had much better presentation in the game, and had much more logical conclusions based on those presentations.

Also, due to the fact that there is a week of discussion between every episode, most of the details of the plot were correctly guessed by fans at some point, even if spoilers were banned. Discussion of the first episodes of the anime which doesn't have at least have one post giving away or hinting at Fujisaki's major spoiler, if not directly discussing the culprits or victims to come, is rare. If every plot twist is predicted, then all of them will also be expected.

That being said, I might be a bit harsh on the show because I already know the plot as it was originally presented.