Page 53 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 93  Next

CzigBot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jun 2017, 11:07 pm

I watch anime every now and then, my favorites are Welcome to the NHK and Berserk (Berserk is my favorite manga as well). I also tried Black Lagoon and it was alright but didn't keep my attention for long. Ones that I watched and didn't like were Re:Zero and KonoSuba, both of them didn't have enough substance and seemed to just be waifu escapism. Not watching anything currently but I am reading the manga Battle Angel Alita:Last Order

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 12:47 am

I'm watching Kokoro Connect again. Great show!

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 5:04 am

CzigBot wrote:
Ones that I watched and didn't like were Re:Zero and KonoSuba, both of them didn't have enough substance and seemed to just be waifu escapism.

You sir, do not know what you are talking about. Both Re:Zero and Konosuba are attempts on totally on the problems that exist within the genre that are actually genius. Maybe you don't have the context of what they are actually doing? Here is Mother's Basement on it.

Re:Zero can be goddamn brutal, our main character is fully a representative of self insert characters, up until his character being big about the flaws. No substance? His entire character arc is on how terrible the otaku sense of waifu ownership where he totally ruins his relationship because he is acting in that way without considering her a person. Subaru is not an escapist character, who would want to go through the maddening events he goes through that almost drive him insane. It is like a big part of the show where he is pushed to the point he becomes catatonic. Even the girl that can be most attached to the waifu like with her interacts, Rem, does not even fully fit with the context of something she does to him, the things done to her, and the fact it is kind of a point that her character was based on being devoted to someone out of guilt as very unhealthy, and that rather than it being all worked out she shifted those feelings. Which is to say that there is a huge amount of substance to the characters with pretty much all of them they initially impression of a trope hide much deeper character.

And Konosuba, it is a parody the escapist story. Amongst other things the female characters along with the main character are terrible and flawed. The main heroine has absolutely no romantic chemistry with the main character that it is actually the centre of jokes that he feels nothing, right along with her being a total idiot just as likely to cause problems as actually be helpful. Megumin and Darkness are not without their own flaws that make them totally unfit as the usual waifu material fantasy. The show uses lack of substance as actually the starts of jokes against the genre, but at the same time it has its own statements on things like equality, that no special treatment on the girls, because they really are not delicate flowers to be treated like objects. The main character says as much early in the second season when he has no problem denying to let the girl go first and they both get in and they both get in to kind of spite each other alone, and it was not having the associated fanservice appeal that might be expected.

You are welcome to your own opinion, but these they are two shows that should not be accused of being substance less waifu escapism. It would be like calling the Wonder Woman movie misogynistic, or Team America being too patriotic.

CzigBot

10 Jun 2017, 6:46 am

Bradleigh wrote:
*snip*

I think you're right, I have a bias against anything that seems to be of the waifu/harem genre because my preferred genres are so far away from it. My standards are also a bit too high, considering how Berserk is widely considered one of, if not the best manga/anime of all time. I might give KonoSuba another go but I was pretty bored of Re:Zero by the time I stopped watching.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 12:52 pm

Has anyone watched or read Aoi Hana?

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 10:20 pm

CzigBot wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
*snip*

I think you're right, I have a bias against anything that seems to be of the waifu/harem genre because my preferred genres are so far away from it. My standards are also a bit too high, considering how Berserk is widely considered one of, if not the best manga/anime of all time. I might give KonoSuba another go but I was pretty bored of Re:Zero by the time I stopped watching.

Berserk manga wise sure. Berserk anime wise is said to be one of the worst things Japan has ever created post World War 2.

CzigBot

11 Jun 2017, 12:09 am

thewrll wrote:
CzigBot wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
*snip*

Berserk manga wise sure. Berserk anime wise is said to be one of the worst things Japan has ever created post World War 2.

The new anime series is absolute garbage, any fan will agree with you on that. But the 1997 anime and movie trilogy were very good.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 12:19 am

CzigBot wrote:
thewrll wrote:
CzigBot wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
*snip*

The new anime series is absolute garbage, any fan will agree with you on that. But the 1997 anime and movie trilogy were very good.

I haven't seen either so I can't give my opinion. Just Chibi hates the new anime.

danieldoesnotexist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2017, 3:09 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
danieldoesnotexist wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:
Um, is it alright if I can list some anime that I do not like?

-Sword Art Online
-Accel World
-Angel Beats
-Clannad
-Elfen Lied
-Black Lagoon
-Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt

I'm really sorry for doing this, I just wanted to get them off my chest. :oops:

Black Lagoon is okay and I like clannad but the rest are garbage.

I dislike the verb "is/are/be" since it allows opinion to masquerade as fact. "I like" X makes sense to me as a factual statement, while X "is garbage" has no factual content whatsoever. Please, have opinions, but state them as opinions.

Damn bro chill. I don't know how else to word that. If I said "the rest are garbage and all the people who like them are stupid", then you could get mad. If it is coming out my mouth (or in this case, my keyboard), then it is my opinion.

wtf

danieldoesnotexist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2017, 3:12 am

I feel like I should mention my favorite anime youtuber, douchebagchocolat.

I find his videos hilarious, and I rarely find youtubers funny. Keep in mind that his "should you watch" series is not meant to be taken seriously.

wtf

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 11:07 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Black Lagoon is okay and I like clannad but the rest are garbage.

I dislike the verb "is/are/be" since it allows opinion to masquerade as fact. "I like" X makes sense to me as a factual statement, while X "is garbage" has no factual content whatsoever. Please, have opinions, but state them as opinions.

Damn bro chill. I don't know how else to word that. If I said "the rest are garbage and all the people who like them are stupid", then you could get mad. If it is coming out my mouth (or in this case, my keyboard), then it is my opinion.

Disliking something equals mad? I have an opinion about the verb to be, is, are, etc.. Protip: It takes some effort, but you can write much better if you learn to avoid the passive voice.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 5:13 pm

To be, or not to be? To are, to is--all depends on perspective.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 7:16 pm

I've tried being. I'll take walking, studying, singing, even working over just plain being.

Kokoro Connect OVAs currently

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 7:20 pm

I think I have Clannad withdrawal or something. I keep trying to find another fantastic anime that I can like just as well, but so far, no luck.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2017, 10:29 pm

Have you seen Honey and Clover? It has 38 episodes, enough time to have tragedies and resolutions galore, and the visual style has a lot of artistry.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 12:08 am

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
I think I have Clannad withdrawal or something. I keep trying to find another fantastic anime that I can like just as well, but so far, no luck.

It can be hard because It is one of the things I consider a masterpiece, which among the 871 anime I have seen I have only about 20 graded as Masterpiece. The rest of my list is:
Bakemonogatari, Barakamon, Bunny Drop, Death Note, Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Kanon (2006), Kokoro Connect, Log Horizon, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Puella Magi Madoka Magica Rebellion, Re:Zero, School Live, Shirobako, Spice and Wolf, Summer Wars, and Toradora.

I am currently watching about 27 different shows, I know about not watching something as amazing as what you liked previously. Since even giving the rating of Masterpiece to all of the those shows I have kind of become sick Death Note, I started with some good romantic comedies, and drifted with tragedies that pretty much become horror (Madoka, School Live), to cute stories where it is an adult and infant (Bunny Drop, Barakamon), top smartly written shows that make an exoected boring topic interesting (Shirobako, Rakugo). It took me a while by being stuck on just Clannad, but there is a lot out there.

I kind of feel compelled to ask what you liked about Clannad and try to tell you something similar, but maybe that won’t do anything. I kind of considered Kanon and then Clannad to be things that kind of changed my life, and I kind of had random other shows that were different do some similar things, like Madoka with how it could blend a hopeful genre with actually a very depressing setting, with a focus on art separate from KyoAni’s Clannad with smooth animation. It is not quite on the list, but there was the likes of Gurren Lagann which got me to appreciate value in being over the top, and then the people that came off of it with Kill la Kill, which I kind of became more obsessed with afterwards for being much smarter than I expected. That also gave me appreciation of a form of art of animation that can take advantage limited animation as well as amazing as a style to tell its story, that made me fall in love with the studio Trigger.

Have I talked enough about Trigger’s current anime, Little Witch Academia? It is like Harry Potter as an anime and mostly girls, and a sort of Disney feel. It has a normal girl inspired by a show done by a witch as a child, and joins a magic school hoping, and she struggles from the bottom with her spirit alone to be like her hero. A recent episode kind of changing everything I thought was a mostly pleasant series and really showing the strength of Akko’s character, which might have me rate this higher when it ends in coming weeks. To say nothing about the other nuance characters. I think that a point I want to make is that kind of going in even expecting something to live up to expectations is kind of setting yourself up for failure, but there are some surprises out there.