Can anything be done about horrible commercials?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 3:35 pm

Commercials on TV and the Internet have just gotten worse and worse. They're not just minor annoyances anymore, they are truly evil, greedy, disgusting, creepy, and stupid beyond belief. I have Adblock on Firefox and while I'm able to watch Youtube without sitting through the ads first it slows down or freezes up sites that have ads plastered all over them, like Neopets or Facebook. Animated ads on sites are the worst, they distract me even more than still pictures. And when I use a different server there's always an ad that says "eat this, never diet again" and they show something gross like what looks like a slimy rice cake or the gallbladder of some animal or something. I don't see them much now, instead I see ads that tell me that my PC desperately needs cleaning and the ad is shaking like an earthquake even though my computer is completely still, or one of those "(insert profession)s hate him/her" ads. Why would they even think anyone would believe their ads? Although there probably are people who still think the sun revolves around the earth...
And don't even get me started on TV ads. They're 100 times worse now if that's possible with the holidays coming up. The other night I read abut just how many famous or popular songs that have very anti-greed, consumerism, and materialistic that they actually use while in ads that show all those things. The worst one so far must be the ad for Radio Shack that goes "Tech the Halls". Are you kidding me?!? Last night I heard a rewritten jingle to some commercial I don't remember what it was for but it was their version of We Wish You a Merry Christmas and it was horrific, and afterwards I started singing the version of it from the Dinosaurs TV show, "We wish you a Happy Fridge Day, so come in and buy paint!" :lol:
Seriously though, I think something NEEDS to be done! Something desperate, something SHOCKING to just stop them from poisoning everyone and everything with these hideous commercials for good without ruining the Internet or TV (more so). But what? And I don't mean the cliche "just turn it off". :shrug:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 4:51 pm

Use your DVR to record programs you wish to watch. When you play them back you can skip over the commercials.

ruveyn

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 5:03 pm

Yeah, I'm not normally too offended by profanity, but I am getting sick of the recent rash of TV commercials stepping way over the boundaries of good taste by including outright swears or sound-alike bawdyness. "Ship Your Pants" - gimme a break. :roll: If that's all the creativity you got, just shoot yourself and be done with it.

I notice the Samuel L Jackson spots with "every DAMN day" got pulled after the first week. I know that's the kind of characters he plays, but when even the commercials start swearing at me, it's time to turn the television off.

I hate to be a fuddy duddy, but for gods' sakes, can we not maintain just a little bit of decorum and civility, or is it just inevitable that society descend utterly into cynicism and perversion? It's the sort of thing that convinces me the human species has about run it's course. Bring on the giant asteroid.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 8:19 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Use your DVR to record programs you wish to watch. When you play them back you can skip over the commercials.

ruveyn

this is also what i do. but there are some points where i must watch live television. even having the television muted they are still horrid.

papa once told me about this wonderful device that automaticly blocked comercials but it only worked with antenna television. he said it worked because the commercials were on a different frequency from regular television and it muted and blacked the picture.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 5:02 am

I eventually just decided to turn the TV off.

Diagnosed in 2005

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2013, 8:26 am

Someone invented things called "Books".

Check one out some time.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.