For UK viewers, two autism related TV shows coming up

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 7:09 am

This Wednesday (July 15 2015) both ITV and Channel 4 have autism related shows some of us might be interested in.

Over on Channel 4 is episode 2 of the documentary series "The Autistic Gardener", something a lot of us posted about here last week and which was very enjoyable. I can't wait to see the next project the team of aspie gardeners are set to work on; it's a good show, check it out if you can. Wednesday, Channel 4, 8pm

Later the same night on ITV, another documentary: "Girls With Autism". The write-up says: "Cameras follow six months in the lives of pupils at a boarding school for girls with autism." I didn't know there was a boarding school in the UK specifically for girls on the spectrum! Food for thought/discussion. As a woman on the spectrum I'm interested in watching this. ITV, 10.40pm

I think it can be a good thing that mainstream TV is showing documentaries about people with autism, as the topic reaches a mass audience and a few myths and mysteries may be clarified for the general public (or created, we hope not!)

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jul 2015, 1:01 pm

ChannelPear users in the US should also be able to watch those, but you'll need to subtract the correct number of hours for your particular time zone.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2015, 2:41 am

Heads up for US VLC player users:

Stream source for UK Channel 4:
http://95.172.231.17/flashstream/stream ... ht=&chid=3

Stream source for UK itv 1:
http://95.172.231.17/flashstream/stream ... ht=&chid=2

For 4+1 timeshift, try changing &chid=3 to &chid=50
For itv+1 timeshift, try changing &chid=2 to &chid=52.

No VLC player? If you can tolerate the ads, you can watch Channel 4 on your computer at:
http://en.firstonetv.com/stream/uk/17
and itv at:
http://en.firstonetv.com/stream/uk/9
(if you have a fast enough internet connection).

RAADS:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 7:24 am

Thanks for posting these links/ways to view outside the UK, Rockymtnchris! :D :thumright:

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 7:27 am

I've watched the first episode of the autistic gardener and it was good :P Going to watch the next one too. And my mum said she's going to tape the girl's one because of how late it's on. 8O Why's it on so late anyway? :P

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 7:33 am

I'm really enjoying The Autistic Gardener series, and I'm very, very interested to see this girls boarding school one. I didn't even know there was a school completely for autistics and what's more, females, as generally females on the spectrum are still spectacularly under-served and under-recognized. Glad your mum's taping it! I think it will be worth a look.

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jul 2015, 3:08 pm

The first of the two shows looked fine at my end...
Although I can't do any gardining due to my contact allergy to flowers and live plants, I did get some nice tips on non-vegative outdoor decorating such as cinderblock laying and that interesting red gel thingy.
(my house has a tiny back yard that's mostly wooden decking).
Speaking of red, I was cracking up at the one dude's "Mrs. Slocombe" hair, and also the Freeview cat-and-budgie-ad.
Overall, I think this programme should help NT's see the positive side of ASD and if I'm free next Wednesday, I'll certainly watch the next episode. Big thanks for informing us on Autism programming in the UK and I hope someday US major commercial networks will start airing stuff like this.

RAADS:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 6:20 pm

Glad you got to see the show -- it's pretty great isn't it? I agree with you, I think this show could help a lot of NTs see a very positive side to the assets and abilities of autistic people, one that I suspect they do not suspect.

I don't even have a garden and don't have a green thumb, but I'm enjoying seeing the skills employed and the final results, which are magical. They are really creating gems of a garden out of nothing. I seriously love the two gardens they've designed so far.

I had a few reservations about the other show about the boarding school for girls. I was a bit concerned about some of their approaches (the staff of the school). I guess they must know what they're doing.....but looking back on myself at that age, I would have probably responded with worsening distress and issues, not improvement.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2015, 6:26 pm

We should have shows like these in the US.

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2015, 12:15 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
Glad you got to see the show -- it's pretty great isn't it? I agree with you, I think this show could help a lot of NTs see a very positive side to the assets and abilities of autistic people, one that I suspect they do not suspect.

I don't even have a garden and don't have a green thumb, but I'm enjoying seeing the skills employed and the final results, which are magical. They are really creating gems of a garden out of nothing. I seriously love the two gardens they've designed so far.

I had a few reservations about the other show about the boarding school for girls. I was a bit concerned about some of their approaches (the staff of the school). I guess they must know what they're doing.....but looking back on myself at that age, I would have probably responded with worsening distress and issues, not improvement.

I wasn't able to watch the girls' school show even though I have no problems getting itv. That one aired almost 4PM my time and I had to go out as I was appearing in a charity benefit show where I was scheduled to be on stage.
I assume the itv programme was a one-time event, but I'm sure they'll repeat it if audience numbers were high.

Again, I really appreciate the programme notices and if anyone sees upcoming ASD TV events on MAJOR channels, please let everyone know regardless of which area of the globe, as I have a good chance of finding live streams for others to view it on.

RAADS:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 8:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
We should have shows like these in the US.

I agree, shows like these should be produced everywhere in fact, as I really feel they can shed light to the general public on things about autism that, to them, are mysteries and myths. The more the general viewing public get exposed to shows that depict real-life people on the spectrum, the better informed everyone will be.

I'm pleased and surprised to see these shows sprouting on UK TV. The gardening one is especially great because instead of a serious documentary highlighting the difficulties -- which is good too and has its place for sure -- this show highlights the abilities, capabilities, humor and skills a person on the spectrum might offer, and also has another central focus -- creating a garden for a home, on a budget, just like any other show centered around a home improvement project.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2015, 8:06 am

Rockymtnchris, that will be a terrific service you're doing! Thanks for finding the streams for other viewers, this is great. Anything else that comes up I will post it.

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2015, 2:22 pm

Thank you, Bird. You said it right about these types of shows being few and far between. It's time NT's start realising that the autistic community isn't all screaming kids having meltdowns in the middle of WalMarts (or ASDA in your case), and television is still one of the best ways of teaching.
Until being introduced to this A.G. series, I believe the last few "shorts" I've watched that showed ASD in a positive light were mostly sports-related, like the boy who averages 8 out of 10 half-court shots with a basketball. There's been a few bits and pieces about music tallent in the past as well, with Susan Boyle being an example.

RAADS:

yingyyanging
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jul 2015, 12:56 pm

Did anyone watch Girls with Autism? I didn't know you could have an obsession with boys, can anyone relate?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 1:58 am

yingyyanging wrote:
Did anyone watch Girls with Autism? I didn't know you could have an obsession with boys, can anyone relate?

Yes, I watched Girls With Autism, and I just kind of figured that the girl with the obsession with boys was more or less behaving the same way as someone obsessed with collecting things -- although it did surprise me a bit, being that autism means social difficulty and yet collecting boyfriends means having to interact socially with that person. Eek, a human! Personally I'd rather be obsessed with things I don't have to be judged by in a human-type interaction, such as animals or objects, lol!

I did slightly relate, though, when I remembered that I've had a tendency to obsess over a music or movie star ever since I was a child; latching onto having a crush on a pop star or actor.

However, those were people who were "not real" to me (being distant celebrities) whereas this girl was actually seeking real-life boyfriends to become devoted to. I preferred the distance of someone unattainable.

I felt sorry for another girl, the one who didn't want to join in the sports but the teachers refused to let her be alone when she asked for time alone. I get what they were doing with the whole "tough love" "this is a school" thing, but I felt like even an autistic person who is being taught to integrate more, ought to have their wish for alone-time respected.

Personally one of my own biggest stress-soothers is to get away and have time alone so that I can come back refreshed, and they wouldn't let her do so. I had ambiguous feelings about that school and its policies.

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2015, 2:42 am

I also needed lots of time alone during my school years, thus I feel fortunate to have lived in a close proximity where I could walk home and eat my lunch versus the busy school cafeteria scene.
As I previously mentioned, I had to leave the house pryor to this programme airing in my time zone, so if itv repeats it, I would appreciate a "heads-up".
FWIW, for anyone wanting to see the next episode of the gardining show, the channel 4 source I posted on page 1 of this thread is still looking good today.

RAADS: