Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MiLK
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2015, 4:15 pm

Who enjoyed watching "The Minions"?

I'm probably going to start this thread a little negatively since I didn't enjoy it so much. I went to see it today and it had moments where it was funny but most of the time it was just bland. I thought I was in for a treat when the election poster for Richard Nixon appeared but the story basically moved to England. It turned into a "I want to become a royal" obsession. Not funny and nothing seriously "evil" about it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 4:20 pm

For about the first quarter of the movie, the narrator explained their origins and why they came to live in Antarctica.

This violates the rule "Show, don't Tell". It would have made a better movie to show everything that the narrator told, but then the movie would either have been longer, or the scenes in England would have been shorter, and Sandra Bullock would not have had as many lines.

MiLK
Raven
Raven

11 Jul 2015, 5:22 pm

I would have rather seen them assist Richard Nixon in what would become the Watergate scandal. That could have been a lot more fun. It could have been a fun way to tell some history to children, while making it entertaining to adults.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 10:00 am

I saw it yesterday morning, the early, early show. There were three families and me. They missed the very end, the last bit where the animators had fun with the 3D. I saw it in 2D, but I could tell.

I enjoyed it. It was entertaining, and it made me smile, and laugh.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 2:12 pm

I think if you like the Minions from the other two movies, you'll probably like this, but honestly almost all the best bits were in the first 5-10 minutes and almost all are shown in the trailer. Beyond that, it was cute and I still love the minions and their mischief but the story itself was lacking and would have gone by quickly (not much to it) if it weren't a bit dull. And while I certainly get that the Minions like serving evil masters, I have no idea why they do - its never explained, and they in all other ways seem more like joking, happy-go-lucky fun-seekers, not evil.

In a nutshell, I see why the movie was made - since (IMHO) the Minions are the best part of the other two movies - but it needed a better story idea and perhaps they'd be best left to "Despicable Me - 3" rather than Minions 2.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2015, 2:30 pm

Sequels and spin-offs tend to go badly.

When money is becomes more important than quality.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Jul 2015, 10:17 pm

pcgoblin wrote:
I enjoyed it. It was entertaining, and it made me smile, and laugh.
Me too

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 3:59 pm

I saw a guy on YouTube with the username "I Hate Everything". Not surprisingly all his video topics are about things people either love or hate, and the people associated with them, like Bronies, Furry Fandom, Christmas... and the Minions.

I haven't seen any of the movies so my feelings about them are pretty mixed. I was very disappointed when I went to a Toys R Us store early this summer and couldn't find a doll of Jessie from Toy Story but half the store is yellow with Minion junk. But that didn't stop me from buying a box of "limited edition" Minion cereal yesterday.:oops:
I was just curious to see what it tasted like. Not bad, it's just like Cinnamon Toast Crunch but banana-strawberry flavored.

Also they're apparently all over Facebook for some reason. I never see them on my page though, possibly because I've blocked or unfollowed nearly everything except for a few things *I* like. The memes are basically just "clever" sayings with a picture of a minion. You could show any character and it would still be the same.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 6:52 pm

i like it. i haven't yet seen despiscable me 2....LOL

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2015, 1:37 pm

I don't understand why a movie like this has a million products of Minions including Minion Tic-Tacs which is coincidentally what they're shaped like. But Disney/Pixar's movie Inside Out is excellent (or so I've read since I haven't seen the movie yet), and I have yet to see much of any merch of the Emotions except for some books. 'm a sure a lot of people would *want* to cuddle up with Sadness plushie when feeling down, brush Joy's shimmery blue hair or wear a shirt with Disgust looking, well, disgusted?

Maybe they have stuff at the Disney Store, but there aren't any stores like that here. Go figure. Maybe when it comes out on DVD. And of course, there is always making them by hand...